Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dconnex DC-230 = Holux GM 230?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dconnex DC-230 = Holux GM 230?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Dconnex DC-230 = Holux GM 230? Reply with quote

Hi, i'm quite new to GPS world, i saw many interesting auction on ebay about an Dconnec DC-230 bluetooth gps receiver.

The seller mainly is one guy called techworldsg and he ships from singapore.

I didn't found any info about this dconnex dc-230 but, looking at the pictures of the holux, they look quite similar if not identical!

I'm right? is the dconnex only a rebadged holux?
anyone bought one from ebay? is it a reccomended piece of hardware for about 100€?

thanks a lot in advance

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConnex do re-badge Holux GPS Receivers including the Mouse, CF and Bluetooth. The DC120 we reviewed was a re-badged GlobalSat, and they are scheduled to release a new BT GPS sometime soon, but whether it's a re-badged one I'm not sure.
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just received a Dconnex DC-230 bought from the ebay seller you mentioned. The only bluetooth GPS I've seen before is from Rikaline and this is a fair bit smaller - 8cmx5.5cmx2cm. I don't know if it's a rebadged Holux (dconnex.com seems to imply that they make them, but I have no idea). I'll post more info when I've charged it and messed around with it for a few days.

If you do order from that seller, be sure to realise that they state 7-14 working days for shipping and they mean it! It's 3 weeks to the day that I won the auction and it just arrived today. But it certainly seems to be a bargain!

Zorba
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zorba!
Thanks a lot for the info, i have still to buy my first gps receiver and i still didn't decided if to go for a Holux 303MMF or to try this "unnamed singapore" bluetooth GPS, the cost will be much more the same, but i'm a bit concerned about the dconnex overall quality!!!
Few questions: have you been charged custom duties?
can you post a small review once you play a bit with it?
with which device you're using the dconnex?

I'm very interested in finding out more for this little cheap gps bluetooth receiver!

thanks a lot! have fun!!!
Al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I also brought a Dconnex DC-230 from an ebay auction, they will give you a tracking number so that you will know when it leaves Singapore, but after that I could not see where it was till it arrived (it took 14 working days from the time it was shipped), don't count the days when the order was placed. It arrived via standard mail to the States.

The GPS itself has work flawlessly. All accessories were included but the documentation is very minimal, and a unlabelled CD for software.

The GPS itself is very similar to the Holux but without covers for the external antenna port and the data/power port. The exterior is nothing special, in my opinion rather drab in comparison to the Holux, in fact that labelling is already wearing off. The battery life is ~12 hours, I have connected to a HP 4150 and laptop with a bluetooth dongle. Functionally it works as well as my Garmin Etrek Vista, so far very pleased.
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your questions first:
>have you been charged custom duties?
Nope - but the package was marked 'gift' which is a customs loophole, and they could pick up on that...

>can you post a small review once you play a bit with it?
Sure -
Pros:
- it's really small and light
- the battery life is really quite good (about 10hrs use so far)
- it comes with the car charger and universal plugs
- it can charge from a USB port (goes well with the Arkon Powered mount which has an extra USB port)

Cons:
- you can't replace the battery when it inevitably dies
- there is a manual power switch on it (unlike the Rikaline I used before which powers on and off depending on the Bluetooth connection)
- it looks a bit cheap (which is the flipside of being small and light ;-) )
- the documentation is a bit naff - it specified the passcode to pair it was 6268 but it turned out to be 0000 for mine - and it comes on an unidentified CD
- Time to lock is a bit longer than the Rikaline but still not bad.

Although there are more 'Cons' in the list, they are really minor niggles apart from the battery thing which we will see more of in the next 2 years. For the price, I love it!

>with which device you're using the dconnex?
HP4150, via Bluetooth. You need to switch on the 4150 bluetooth, then the GPS, then the program (in my experience) otherwise the iPAQ gets confused, but this varies for people.

HTH!
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your impressions on the subject!!!

now i'm more undecided than before...
basically the haicom 303-mmf will cost me the same as the dconnex-230
the first having as pros the good brand and reputation.
the second that it's bluetooth.

I will be using them on an ipaq 2210 that has a double cf-sd slot so, to use a cf gps is not such a bad thing for me.

I think i will go for the haicom also because the seller is from Germany and it will arrive before than Singapore for sure!!!

In any case, thanks a lot for all the detailed info!!!
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps at all, a benefit of a bluetooth GPS is that you get longer usage out of it - a CF GPS will drain your iPAQ more than a separately powered bluetooth GPS. Also, if you upgrade your PDA the chances of your new device having bluetooth are potentially higher than the chances of having CF. Thirdly, I use my Dconnex GPS with my Nokia 3650 and Tomtom Citymaps when I'm not going far... just a bit of extra flexibility Wink

Whichever you go for, you won't regret it - GPS is a whole new ballgame!
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, how great is this site?? I've just got the DConnex 230 from he same person you're talking about, he is a bit slow in sending the item but I got it in the end. (3 weeks, one reply to my emails). Anyway I'm new to all this and I hope this hasn't been covered before on other threads but my PDA can't get a signal from the reciever. The PDA has picked up teh reciever via Bluetooth but it doesn't seem to get a signal. Can anyone please help?? I thought I may need an external anntena at first but by the sounds of it you (Zorba) have it working straight out of the box. Thanks guys.
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cfw

Does the orange light start blinking after a while? I seem to recall that this means the satellites have been found. Also, it's better to try this outdoors for the first time, with a view of the sky, so you can rule out the building you're in or the windows (apparently some types of window prevent a strong signal from being picked up). Take a look at the manual on the cd and see if the orange light responds correctly - it shouldn't matter if the bluetooth is connected or not. Make sure you charged it fully before you try anything. When the orange light is ok you can look at the bluetooth connection. Which software are you using with it?
rotten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: dc-230 and tungsten t problems Reply with quote

:D Just received my DC-230 from Singaproe via EBAY, 180AUD. Sad Instructions are a bit sparse for palm t owners (or is it just me Embarassed ) My passkey was also 0000, thanks to the other member with that tip. Hope somebodycan point me out. Particualrly having trouble loading onto PC and how does it activate on palm???? Thanks in advance.
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotten,

Can't help you with your Palm I'm afraid although you might want to check out the other forums as it might be a Palm thing and not related to the GPS. Not sure what you mean about 'loading onto PC though'... any more details?

Z
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorba wrote:
Hi cfw

Does the orange light start blinking after a while? I seem to recall that this means the satellites have been found. Also, it's better to try this outdoors for the first time, with a view of the sky, so you can rule out the building you're in or the windows (apparently some types of window prevent a strong signal from being picked up). Take a look at the manual on the cd and see if the orange light responds correctly - it shouldn't matter if the bluetooth is connected or not. Make sure you charged it fully before you try anything. When the orange light is ok you can look at the bluetooth connection. Which software are you using with it?

Thanks for the reply, panic over, I think I was expecting a little too much and was hoping for a signal indoors, durrrrr!! It works fine outside which when you think about it is totally right!! Thanks again.
Zorba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfw,

I'm glad it's working! I'd hate to have to send it back to Singapore Rolling Eyes

Do give us a mini review of what you think after you've used it for a bit, won't you? Thumbs Up

Sometimes after it's got a lock outside, you can go inside and it manages but I wouldn't count on it...

Z
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zorba, good to see a fellow Manc, anyway I've not had much experiences with GPS so I can't tell you how it compares with others but I have had a really good look around on the net so I can tell you what I think. I did get a lock when I placed it on the window sill but that doesn't always work, but in the car it works fine on the dash.
Having looked around on the net it does seem to compare alright with others like EMTAC, and considering the price it's pretty good. The thing is I've only ever seen it on eBay and to be honest the person selling it doesn't seem to be very good. Granted I got it in the end and it works so I can't really complain. If anyone else does see this and decides to buy from the same person then be patiant and have a bit of faith, I got the goods after 3 weeks which from Singapoer isn't too bad I guess. Anyway no frills works well bluetooth GPS reciever, I give it the thumbs up. What do you think of it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: