Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav for UK, France & USA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav for UK, France & USA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neutron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Which Sat Nav for UK, France & USA? Reply with quote

I've been an avid reader of these forums for some time and have learnt a lot but unfortunately not enough to make that final purchase decision. I need a SatNav system for use in the UK, France, USA and maybe Ireland and Spain and portability from car to car is important. It is unlikely that I will need to use it out of a vehicle but that could be a bonus.
The popular iPAQ 2210 with Bluetooth TomTom Navigator 3 seemed to be the best option until I read about the problems with Bluetooth GPS units.
I'm now wondering whether the wired solution may be best but have concerns about the ease of removal from the hired vehicle each time it is left unattended.
Could there also be a problem with the polarity of USA car electrical systems?
Are there any disadvantages in purchasing the PDA & TomTom in the USA whilst there?
A colleague has suggested using MS MapPoint on a laptop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom versions currently are not consistent between old and new world. Europe uses version 3 , the US have only version 2.24

I would recommend you look at Mapopolis. It seems to be better suited for what you want (even though its usability is inferior to TomTom)

Bluetooth is mostly fine. Especially when you want to switch cars often it's better than wired.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
neutron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Which Sat Nav for UK, France & USA? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Lutz - I've looked at the Mapopolis website and will explore this alternative further.
I'd be grateful if you could further advise whether USA automobiles are positive or negative ground and would it be possible to load both Europe version 3 and US version 2.24 TomTom software.

Regards
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power supply in US cars is the same as in European cars. (where did you get that idea of positive ground?)

You can install TomTom 2 and TomTom 3 onto the same machine but this has two drawbacks

- they use the same registry branch, so when you switch applications each of them thinks it is started for the very first time.
- they use different maps (that one was obvious) and you cannot use any cross combination of programs and maps

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Natashap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently used Mapopolis in USA and found this to be most useful. Used an IPAQ 3970 and a GPS bluetooth. Both charged OK in hire cars and worked fine apart from the IPAQ's problem of needing soft resets too often.
neutron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz and "Natashap" for your advice.
Mapopolis certainly looks as thought it will satisfy my needs - at least whilst travelling in the USA.

BTW Lutz the first car I hired in the US was postive earth - I had problems using some mobile equipment, but that was rather a long time ago.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: