Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM - Newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM - Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philbeardmore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM - Newbie Reply with quote

Hi, I have a HP4100 Ipaq, and I want to have GPS. At work we have a HP4100 also, and tomtom software and GPS unit - It works like a dream.

My question is..... If I buy the GPS receiver, can I just install the tomtom software which we have at work, or is it locked so it can only be installed onto one Ipaq at any one time?

Also, am I right in thinking that all I will need is my ipaq, a tomtom receiver (plus cables), and the tomtom software installing and everything will work fine. There is no subscription charge is there?

Cheers
Phil
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom software is locked to one machine for a certain time. You can only install the same copy twice within a week, and then every half year or so. TomTom have this mechanism in place for users that change hardware, it is not planned for using the same copy of the software on different machines (of course that is not in TomTom's interest).

You don't actually need a TomTom receiver. Any receiver will work with the TomTom software. The TomTom receiver may just be the cheapest option because it often comes bundled with the software. But you could always buy just the software (actually, you are buying the maps, the software is free) and get the receiver someplace else.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
philbeardmore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

The thing is we have the software and a GPS receiver at work, and we have 4 ipaq's. We were planning on using one GPS receiver for all 4 ipaq's. So, in theory, the tomtom software would be installed on all 4 ipaq's but the GPS can only be used once at any one time. If they have the product locked so it will only install onto one pocket pc, then this will cause problems.

Also, is there any subscription charges or not?

Cheers Guys! :D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The license agreement that you accept on installing the software does stipulate you are only allowed to install it onto one device at any one time, so if you are planning to install it two multiple devices, you need to purchase multiple copies.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

philbeardmore wrote:
Also, is there any subscription charges or not?

After you purchased the product there is no monthly or annual subscription charge. But you will have to expect a charge for an upgrade to the next version (let's say TomTom 4). Of course you could also forego the upgrade and just live with the map data you have.

(Just to re-emphasize - you never really pay for the application - you pay for the map data, and you pay each time the map data is updated.)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: