Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Incorrect Route - Causing havoc. Help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect Route - Causing havoc. Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaneohara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Incorrect Route - Causing havoc. Help! Reply with quote

I (and 35 other houses) are located in a part of Surrey where there are two possible access routes to us. One route is via a weight restricted bridge (2 Tonnes max).
The other is via a tiny road. All couriers using GPS seem to be guided to the bridge. Some even change going over it in trucks that far exceed the limit. It is only a matter of time before we have a serious problem. How do I get theses GPS systems changed so that they show the other route into the houses? Regards and thank you in advance for any help you can offer, shaneohara
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not the GPS, it's the problem of the drivers ignoring a weight restriction.

If you think there is a serious danger, call the Police and tell them.

Steve
Nissan Connect
shaneohara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate this - I have actually spoken to the police about it and I have volunteered to research the GPS side of the problem - It is not completely valid to say it is not a GPS problem. The GPS is providing a service to these companies and it is getting it wrong. We need to fix this.
I agree that the drivers should certainly not ignore the limit. Many of them are young and inexperienced. More than one of them has actually missed the limit sign (which is highly visible). Bottom line is that most of them trust the GPS system and if it tells them to go via the bridge then they obey! Does anyone know what the procedures are for actually changing the data? Thank you again for your prompt reply.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The routing taken by a vehicle is dependent on the software that is being used and and where the mapping data is sourced from. Most systems seem to use either TeleAtlas like TomTom or Navteq if using CoPilot.
The only way of getting the map source data updated is by contacting the Data suppliers but any changes won't take effect untill they release it. That only seems to be when ever they release an upgrade.
Have you tried contacting your local Council and see if they will do something to restrict the width of the road to stop HGV's etc.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important point here in relation to GPS is that this is a navigable road with a 2 tonnes weight limit. That means that it is passable by most passenger cars. Why should car drivers not have free access to the bridge if so directed by their GPS?

Having taken that into account, how do you realistically expect the software produers to respond. If they remove it from their software, where will it all stop. 3 tonnes next, then 4 tonnes etc etc. While we're at it, let's take all roads with low bridges off as well.

I guess the road over the bridge is shown on paper maps as well. Will you be writing to the publishers to get them to remove it from their next publications?

The responsibility is that of the driver to obey the signed road restriction. Sorry but you've been living in a nanny state for too long.

Steve
Nissan Connect
shaneohara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your points abuot where does the limit lie. However, these GPS systems must be capable of dealing with constraints - or at least indicating that the route is weight restricted.

What about the case (which happens alot) where the courier gets as far as the bridge, realises he cannot go over and so turns back and declares the package undeliverable. This happens even when I fax them a map of the correct route. Nanny state or not, I want the delivery to come through! Before the advent of GPS, the deliveries arrived because the couriers read the maps I faxed through - now they rely so much on GPS that they ignore my very vocal instructions to use my map.

Constructive ways to improve the GPS systems - thats really what I am after. Thanks, shaneohara
daz-rdp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Weight Limit Reply with quote

The problem is not with the software as it does not take into consideration the type of vehicle being driven. If software was to be vehicle dependant then the manufacturers would need to release too many versions that it would be impossible and not cost effective.

Navigation systems are only an aid to driving and the software cannot take into consideration all the probabilities and options as the software would need to be rewritten and would become far too complex that the systems needed to run it would take it beyond the point of a in vehicle system.

your best bet is to contact the delivery companies and find out what system they are using. my guess is the software does have a re route option so they could use the other bridge.

However the bottom line is that the delivery drivers are responsible and must obey road signs regardless of what the navigation system tells them. my guess is the guys doing the driving dont fully understand how to use the systems and it is easier for them to say they couldnt deliver it and get you to pick it up!
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there are two solutions:

1 - Use POI's for weight-restricted bridges. Something like checkpoint could even warn a driver when coming up to it. This isn't up to the software companies though. This would have to be a policy change within the company that all drivers must have a POI database and obey it.

2 - Get the local council to strengthen the bridge, as it clearly isn't up to the job.

As for drivers marking packages undeliverable, I would take this up with the courier firms - all they would have to do on the GPS is hit the "different route" or "road blocked" option and it will find the other way in.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions given by any GPS system are not mandatory and are not enforceable by law. Legally erected traffic signs are and it is the custom in this country for a driver to be held totally responsible for his or her vehicle when it is in motion. The one addition to this is if an employer 'permits' or 'causes' the driver to break the law.

I use a motorhome which is 7'6" (or 2.3) wide and use a Tomtom GPS wherever I go. When I come to a sign that says 'road narrow - 6'6" ahead', I stop and go a different way. Simple isn't it. I don't blame the GPS for this situation. I accept that it is merely a mapping guide and try not to break the law. If others choose to break the law, then it is entirely their responsibility and no fault of any maps (GPS or not) that they may use.

I understand your concern for the safety issues involved here. There are however, thousands of weight restrictions in this country and map producers should not be in any way held responsible for their correct use any more than they should be responsible for people who break the speed limit while using those same maps.

Your issue is with the idiot drivers (and possibly their employers) who choose to break the law, not the map producers.

Steve
Nissan Connect
shaneohara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you are right - it is not the responsibility of the GPS companies to dictate the law in any way. I guess I jumped to the conclusion that the easiest way to solve this problem would be to get the software to be configured to suit the vehicle - probably a big leap for the current versions - and of course there is no saying that the drivers would actually configure the unit correctly anyway.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the point about them simply choosing 'select alternative route'. Clearly some of them are too lazy and I dont know any solution to this.

So the problem is one of human laziness and indifference.

I am very impressed with the number of people who have taken the time to give their opinion on this issue. Thank you all.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's never a problem finding people to give an opinion on here!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Incorrect Route - Causing havoc. Help! Reply with quote

shaneohara wrote:
One route is via a weight restricted bridge (2 Tonnes max). The other is via a tiny road.

Some Navteq based mapping systems (CoPilot 5 and Garmin) do have a routing option for large vehicle. I don't know if they know about weight restricted bridges though. It would probably avoid the tiny road as being unsuited to heavy vehicles.

It's pretty low tech, but the best thing to do would be to lobby the council to put up signs indicating that there is a diversion for heavy vehicles and point them in the right direction. Assuming delivery drivers aren't following their GPS completely blindly then they will find the alternative route. :D
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that such an option would just make the software stick to motorways and A-roads as much as possible - the maps simply are not detailed enough to know the widths of roads or the classifications of bridges.

Obviously at some point, all traffic will have to come off of the motorway to get to the actual address. Even if it then tried to stick to B roads rather than unclassified roads a lot of rural B roads are very very small.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: