Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NIELS, STAND UP AND COME FORWARD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NIELS, STAND UP AND COME FORWARD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: NIELS, STAND UP AND COME FORWARD Reply with quote

This is not a request , it is a demand.
Niels go and lock yourself in a room and dont come out until you have sussed a way to get your postcode software working on TomTom Go.
I know this could be a goer later on but i am kinda impatient for the best thing i ever had on my ipaq with TT3.
Seriously though if and when we get Niels software on Go then it would make a great bit of kit brilliant.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im hoping this was post with jest in mind and not personal attack so ill leave it for now

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodness me alix get a life
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UKPostCode applet would be the one thing I missed too! I suspect this will not appear until such time as Tomtom rerease an SDK for the GO platform. There is no information on this at present so we have no way of knowing if this is something they plan to offer or if they would prefer to retain control.

Although they have announced they plan an upgrade to allow use of Custom POI's, without an alert facility it will be of little use for Safety Cameras which is another applet that would be useful if an SDK is ever made available Sad
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, I was meaning to ask a few bits on this, as i was a bit confused to the actual situation on what could be used and what couldn't.
After reading a couple of post's by various people it was looking a lost cause as far as useing 3rd party apps and poi's, then Dave chipped in with the version you guys are useing saying that it had provision for poi's.
On my tt3 setup i only used the camera bitmap as a warning i didn't bother with an audible warning. As for Niels software i just thought it was a great effort, worked so well for me. Ok, the 5digit setup on TT3 and go is good but if you dont have a street then when you get to that screen you cant go anywhere else, unless i'm missing something.
Anyway, what's your call on Go so far?.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had one to play with for an extended period personally, Mike and Dave have them Sad but I have used one and it[s great, it's much smaller than you imagine and very tactile.

I'm not too sure about the glass screen which being touch operated becomes covered in greasy fingerprints very quickly but if that's all we can complain about then it's pretty good going!

It's going to be very popular, for those users who want a system that doesn't need 'fettling' like a PPC based device but just works then it's just the biscuit, very clear and loud voice instructions, simple interface etc.

If I could persuade my wife I'd buy one but she sees £500 and thinks 'new frdge or washing machine or settee' and not 'new sat nav' so I'm fighting a losing battle!
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, you are right about the screen, but my biggest gripe albeit a petty one too, is the mount, whilst the mount itself is a sturdy piece the height it puts the unit at is too high. I have had to butcher the parts from a tt2210 kit and somehow i've come up with something that is workable and dare i say it, looking good.
As for your last paragraph i can relate, it cost me a cool £100 on-0line shop last night, i was spitting chips - frozen, chocolate and debit card ones, at Tesco, but in truth what could i say!!.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's very forgiving to be fair, I've got her set up with a GPS NAV system which she loves and she is very understanding of the amount of time myself (and likewise all the other team members) put into this site.

I rarely spend less 4hrs a day on PocketGPS work, forum posts, reviews etc and I do have a day job that pays the bills on top of that! But we all live, eat and sleep GPS and so I'm not complaining. When we fancifully discussed launching a GPS site 2 years ago little did we know the beast we would be unleashing!
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can quite believe it Darren, and i am sure i speak for many when i say that all of your and the teams efforts are very much appreciated.
Without this site when i started to source info etc about sat nav, of which i didn't have a clue, i would not have been able to make the informed choice i feel i made, and for that alone i am indebted to you all.
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up I second that I was totally lost with my set up untill I came across this site well done to you all thanks very much your hard work is much appreciated Happy
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I've been away from the forum for a while sorting out a bit of a messy personal life!

I agree with Darren, we would need an SDK for Go to make it happen. I wonder, does anyone know what the hardware inside Go is? I wouldn't be too surprised to find it being based on a PocketPC...?

Thanks for all kind comments, btw. And I also second your comments on all the effort being put in by Darren and the rest of the team. Awesome. Thumbs Up

- Niels
ukpostcode
http://www.digitools.co.uk
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niels, GO uses Pocket PC based hardware and the new common platform navigation engine that's already available in the Palm version and will eventually become the V4 platform for PPC.

I do hope they do provide an SDK for it but I'm not at all sure they will Sad

Last edited by Darren on Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niels, sorry to hear about the probs.
If you could tell me where i might get that info i can have a look for you.
all i can see is GPS version 1.21, boot 1.12 .
I will look on the box label to see if there is anything there.
No, it only gives the hardware specs, and the only thing of relevance there is the .processor 200mhz ARM920T, 32 meg RAM, the rest Niels is really of no significance.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Darrens post giving an insight into the hardware you can quite clearly see by my last post i am no technical genius.
You can see why i spend time rooting around here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: