Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2589 in car power supply.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2589 in car power supply.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Garmin 2589 in car power supply. Reply with quote

Previously used a 2340 which has separate usb sockets for sync and power. Using a cig lighter socket Griffin mini charger and usb cable auto-activated the Garmin with ignition on/off.

Now have a 2589 which has only one usb socket and connecting via the Griffin mini charger results in the Garmin going into sync mode.

A search reveals this is a problem with these Garmins but an American website sells a special mini charger (similar to the Griffin) with cable that prevents the Garmin going into sync and provides a power supply activated by the ignition.

Having bought this charger I am curious. The mini charger will work with any usb cable as well the one supplied and provide auto on/off with ignition. The cable supplied will also work with the Griffin charger.

So what tricks the Garmin out of sync mode? Is it the special mini charger or the special cable?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a difference in the connector.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It's a difference in the connector.

I assume you mean the mini usb plug at the device end of the cable as that's what others also claim and, indeed, the special cable does work with a Griffin charger.

Why then does the "special" charger work with ANY generic usb cable and provide auto on/off with ignition?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly sure what you're suggesting but there's more info on Garmin cables here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/How-To-Hack-A-USB-Charge-Cable-2177.php
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading the issue correctly, appologies if I'm not:

Whilst using a car power socket usb adapter with a normal usb lead (A to mini) looks neater than the supplied bulky unit and thicker cable, it causes the Garmin to have issues as it thinks it's connected to a PC and acts accordingly, and fails, because there isn't a PC at the other end.

I've tried it and it doesn't work. Even if the Garmin initially starts up in navigation mode it soon reboots and switches to PC mode.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
If I'm reading the issue correctly, appologies if I'm not:

Whilst using a car power socket usb adapter with a normal usb lead (A to mini) looks neater than the supplied bulky unit and thicker cable, it causes the Garmin to have issues as it thinks it's connected to a PC and acts accordingly, and fails, because there isn't a PC at the other end.

I've tried it and it doesn't work. Even if the Garmin initially starts up in navigation mode it soon reboots and switches to PC mode.

That's why I bought this mini charger and cable from the US as it prevents the Garmin going into sync (PC) mode.
It works fine and has been used for several long journeys without problem. The Garmin turns on and off with the ignition switch.
My query was whether it is the cable or the charger that prevents the Garmin going into charge mode.

However, further to my earlier post I have now found that the US charger does not work with 7 generic usb cables I have tried but does work with one unmarked usb cable which just happened to be the one I tried in my first test.

The US cable works also with a Griffin charger as well as the one generic usb cable mentioned above. So, it appears that the US cable is the key but why I have a generic one lying around that also works I have no idea. I have now discovered that the US company also sells just the cable but the price is similar to the charger + cable.

The Griffin mini charger is very neat and fits flush into a cigarette lighter socket but are almost impossible to find in the UK as the fleebuy versions are all fakes - I've had two!

The US charger is not quite so neat has a hexagonal end with led indicator and is a little proud of a cig socket.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cables are apparently 'data' cables and others are 'power' cables. If you have a 3rd party one that works I guess it must be a 'power' rather than 'data' cable

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={e3ba99d0-fccb-11dc-ec92-000000000000}
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Some cables are apparently 'data' cables and others are 'power' cables. If you have a 3rd party one that works I guess it must be a 'power' rather than 'data' cable

I know that but a mini charger supplies power only and there are no data connections involved.

http://tinyurl.com/jk9wozj

I did read that the secret of by-passing sync mode is in the mini usb plug where pin 4 is connected to pin X with a resistor that causes the Garmin to go into charge only mode.

However, I now find that a 2 core retractable usb cable also works with the US mini charger and these definitely do not have any special connections in the mini usb plug. Accessing the Garmin battery info indicates that is in charge mode with a usb cable.

At this point I will carry on with what I have found does work and chase the electronic solution later.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b33jay wrote:
sussamb wrote:

I know that but a mini charger supplies power only and there are no data connections involved.

The fact there is no data is irrelevant, it's the make up of the cable that counts, nothing to do with the mini charger which is simply providing 5v power to the cable. Stick a 'data' cable into it and your Garmin believes it's connected to a PC so goes into PC mode, using a 'power' cable it doesn't. This is why some of your cables are working and others are not.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Stick a 'data' cable into it and your Garmin believes it's connected to a PC so goes into PC mode, using a 'power' cable it doesn't.
So what's the difference?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See post above mine, it's to do with resistors, bout which I know nothing Laughing
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
sussamb wrote:
Stick a 'data' cable into it and your Garmin believes it's connected to a PC so goes into PC mode, using a 'power' cable it doesn't.
So what's the difference?

That's what I am trying to ascertain!

A standard usb has four terminal tabs but mini usbs are available with a fifth terminal labelled 5 or X.

Is seems a 'power' cable is modified within the mini usb connector plug by linking terminal 4 to X with a resistor.

I have, from my junk box another cable, source unknown, that also works the Garminin charge mode so, presumably, it is modified. I have also found a flat retractable cable which appears to have three cores and this also works with the Garmin in charge only mode whereas several two core retractable cables do not.

I find a flat retractable cable removed from the roller used with a mini charger in the cigarette lighter socket and a Garmin screen mount stuck to the top of the dash with double sided tape provides a very neat installation
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post above I have now found the info on Garmin power cables.

http://tinyurl.com/ku2k5sb

Edit: link corrected

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: