Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920 battery 'how long' ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920 battery 'how long' ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: 920 battery 'how long' ? Reply with quote

Hi
Having recently completed a battery change on my old 920T I have only just had a chance to really test it. I have kept the unit on a cradle which gets power whenever the computer is on ( most of the day ).

Took it out yesterday running only on internal battery and it only seemed like 45 mins or so when I first lost sound then the unit packed in. I originally thought it was a major fault and as I was driving could not really look into it further until this morning. I put it on charge again last night and it sprang back into life at least confirming that this was nothing more than an exhausted battery.

I have run it this morning having set a route demo ( assuming that this would use similar power to a proper journey ) and it has just given up after of run time of 110 mins. (last 15 flashing red )This is a lot more than I got yesterday.

Questions
1. What sort of time should / could I expect from a new battery under normal use?

2. Considering the significantly increased time I got today and that the battery is new, does the battery benefit from some sort of conditioning after a few usages / recharges etc or am I just getting a false time by running it on demo where it is not constantly updating satellites etc

Last edited by Hectorsgaf on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new battery requires several partial discharges/recharges before it reaches maximum efficency. Then possibly you'll get 1.5 hours.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
A new battery requires several partial discharges/recharges before it reaches maximum efficency. Then possibly you'll get 1.5 hours.

Thanks. Almost got 2 hours today so could that be a bit false if running on demo where it is not constantly updating satellite fixes?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:

Lots of debate on that....

"Battery University" says:

Quote:
Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need formatting when new, nor does it require the level of maintenance that nickel-based batteries do. The first charge is no different than the fifth or the 50th. Formatting makes little difference because the maximum capacity is available right from the beginning. Nor does a full discharge improve the capacity once faded. In most cases, a low capacity signals the end of life. A discharge/charge may be beneficial for calibrating a “smart” battery, but this service only addresses the digital part of the pack and does nothing to improve the electrochemical battery. Instructions to charge a new battery for eight hours are seen as “old school” from the nickel battery days.

but also:

Quote:
Rechargeable batteries may not deliver their full rated capacity when new and will require formatting. While this applies to most battery systems, manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries disagree. They say that Li-ion is ready at birth and does not need priming. Although this may be true, users have reported some capacity gains by cycling these batteries after long storage.

Some more stuff from them here:
Charging Lithium-ion and of course Wikipaedia....
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with partial discharge, the complete discharge was from the Ni-MH days. Partial seems to match my experience. Though one new battery seemed to need a 'kick' from a 3 amp charger to get it going.

The thing that seems to me to affect battery life is screen brightness level.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
I'll stick with partial discharge, the complete discharge was from the ni-MH days. Partial seems to match my experience. Though one new battery seemed to need a 'kick' from a 3 amp charger to get it going.

The thing that seems to me to affect battery life is screen brightness level.

Good point on the screen brightness. Have reduced from 90% to 30% and I must admit, hardly noticeable to view.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: