Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3 UK Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3 UK Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: TomTom 3 UK Map Reply with quote

I have just bought (after having my old ver.2 + pda stolen from my car…I will learn!) and installed Ver 3 bluetooth and to my amazement have discovered that my home town of Rhyl is not listed!!! It was in version 2. This is a nuisance for me as using the A to B feature was always handy.

I can’t even find an email address on TomTom’s web site (I’ve logged on and gone through faq).

Could anyone give me their email address and/or confirm for me that Rhyl is not listed as a “City” on TT3.

I have put a little data below on Rhyl in case anyone thinks that it may be some tiny hamlet…Rowen (a nearby village) population <1000 is listed!!!

Rhyl
Ranked 399th Biggest Town in the UK
Population 26,600
Lat: 53.32°N
Long: 3.48°W
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have TTN3 to hand but if it's not there in the index just create a POI for the address in Rhyl that you wish to navigate to and call this up whenever you need it.

I hail from Llandudno originally BTW!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhyl isnt in the city serch if you serch for an address but the poi is there for the tourist info centre looking at the address in the a2b screen it comes under ruddlan(denbigshire) or use the postcode ll18 then enter your street name

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I can live with that...a shame it had to be changed though.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhyl Station is named on the map (not a POI).
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted TT about this situation and I received, what looks like, a promising reply today:

Quote:
Dear Mr Maddocks,

Thank you for your feedback regarding problems finding addresses/Towns/Post codes in Tomtom Navigator 3 UK
Our software development team are currently investigating it.
A solution to this will be available from ourwebsite within the next couple of weeks.
As a workaround try searching with the County name or postcode and then the street name.

In the meantime we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
End Quote

If TT really are prepared to offer a solution (by this I presume some sort of patch) then hopefully they will take other overlooked towns into consideration as well.

BTW I shall copy this post to the “Sticky: Navigator 3 Places Not In Database” thread where it maybe more relevant.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the patch referred to is likely to be a fix for the address searching problems covered in my 'open letter'. As you can see from my most recent post in that thread (click the smaller text), I don't think there'll be any database or other map error fixes along with it. I suspect missing places won't be sorted until Navigator 4.

That said, it's important to report missing places to TeleAtlas, TomTom's geodata provider. You can do that here.

David
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
That said, it's important to report missing places to TeleAtlas, TomTom's geodata provider. You can do that here.

Do you really believe that these names are missing in the database? I can't imagine that TeleAtlas would leave them out. Just too hard to believe especially when other products that use thier data have the town names.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened, various places did get left out. As the TeleAtlas form asks you what program your report relates to, they should be able to confirm the problem and hopefully ensure it's fixed for Navigator 4.

It really doesn't matter whose "fault" it was. In 100MBytes of data, it's near inevitable there'll be some mistakes, no matter how carefully it's checked. Obviously we all have different locales in which we spend much of our time.

My home town is missing from the Navigator 3 database - it was in the Navigator 2 one.

David
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
It really doesn't matter whose "fault" it was. In 100MBytes of data, it's near inevitable there'll be some mistakes, no matter how carefully it's checked. Obviously we all have different locales in which we spend much of our time.

I hate to be a stick in the mud over this, but I believe it does matter. "In over 100Mb"????? That's nothing and no excuse to not get it right. I will start reporting all the mistakes I find as this might help both TT and TA find the culprit. As I said before, I just can't believe they are missing from the original database. After seeing the way TT3 searches (showing streets for towns you did not search for) I really think the missing towns issue is more TT3's doing.

The reason I say this is because if it is the program's fault, it is up to TT to release a patch for FREE, before version 4. It really isn't good enough to have to pay to get what we should have now. Effectivley, this is a defective product if you can't find major towns. (let's be frank here, no use in defending them)

Things like the weird searches, (street names shown for other towns again) is something that should be patched but before version 4. I can live with the quirkyness, not the missing towns.

DavidW wrote:
My home town is missing from the Navigator 3 database - it was in the Navigator 2 one.

I guess if that had been me, I would have sent the whole thing back to where it came from. To me that is just wholly unacceptable. Assuming of course you don't live in a little village with 2 houses? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these products are perfect - if you return TomTom Navigator 3, you'll have to find an alternative, which will be better in some areas and worse in others.

If a town is missing from the database, because of the way address lookup works, just put in a nearby town in the same county (or even the name of the county).

You aren't likely to get a free upgrade; it has to be accepted that the mapping and related data contains errors, and the current charging system TomTom are using is that an annual upgrade is made available to users of the current version for relatively little cost (the cost of a TomTom version upgrade is less than half that of upgrading some competing products, and less than a third the price of a new CD-ROM or DVD-ROM for many of the built in sat-nav systems).

Rebuilding the map data to fix one or two errors here and there is not a trivial process.

The best thing to do is report any errors and find the best work rounds you can. For example, some errors (such as the incorrectly unblocked works exits on the M25) can be worked round by placing avoid areas. POIs, postcode lookup and even entering WGS84 co-ordinates (found, for example, from multimap.com) all have their place. It would be better if these things are right, but we have to live with what we've got to an extent.

As for my home town - it doesn't matter one bit. I set my home favourite easily enough, and just enter the name of the next town. As streets aren't classified under town, just county, it makes no difference.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: