Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Overspeed warnings for zones/areas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Overspeed warnings for zones/areas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Overspeed warnings for zones/areas Reply with quote

Seen on another forum...

Quote:
With Garmin you can have a POI file or dataset with a name such as redwood@55 - give it a proximity zone of 1 KM (or .5 miles) and your GPS will warn when you exceed 55 (Mph or Km/H) as you enter the proximity zone for that POI.

Is that true? I've never seen it mentioned before.

I know you can have proximity warnings for POIs, and overspeed warnings (using the built-in speed data in the maps) but I've not heard of this combination of the two.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set up alerts for any poi set. GATSO, Sainsburys, Petrol Stations....

See http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine the current need might be for French/Swiss camera "Zones".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The @55 on the end of the files title tells POILoader to set the overspeed to 55 mph/kph. The proximity distance can be set in the file or by using manual mode to tell it what proximity you want.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it can be used as such, I find it a bit amusing that they class MS Excel as a 'text editor' without further info. Text editor it 'aint Shocked
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any number in the file name will make POI Loader set an alert at that speed. It causes great amusement with Q8 petrol stations and 4-Star Petrol which give alerts of 8 and 4 mph respectively. you don't need the '@' sign in the file name.

the other way to set proximity alerts is to set them per POI in the file itself by adding @30, @40 etc in the file. this has the advantage of having a single file that offers multiple different speed warnings.

it DOES NOT give an alert ZONE though - it simply sets the speed and POI Loader uses it (too long in my opinion) default alert distance.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
POI Loader calculates proximity alert distance based on speed. You can enter proximity alert distance for individual Custom POIs in a .gpx file. You can also enter proximity alert distance for all Custom POIs in a data file using Manual mode.

You can alter from the default distance. Camera Manager allows you to do so with the GPX file. IIRC you set the alert timing you want (i.e. 30 seconds) and it calculates the distance based on the speed limit of the data (i.e. x meters at y mph) and sets the Proximity distance accordingly.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Overspeed warnings for zones/areas Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Seen on another forum...

Ah well, you can't believe everything you read on other forums Wink

Here's something I prepared earlier :-

Speed and Proximity processing in Garmin POI Loader

Priority Order for Speed & Proximity Information

1. Information from the POI itself (i.e. speed and distance for .gpx files - speed only for .csv files).
  2. Information entered in “Manual Mode”.
  3. Information derived from keywords in the File Name.

Alert Sounds

Two different Alert sounds are allocated automatically:-

Proximity Alerts are assigned “Passive Tone” = BONG, BONG {lower tone}

Speed Alerts are assigned “Aggressive Tone” = P-I-N-G, P-I-N-G {higher tone}

These can be overridden by the presence of an .mp3 file, whose file name matches the .csv or .gpx containing the POI’s. This comparison is not case-sensitive.

Individual POI settings

If the name of the POI is followed by an “@” sign and a number, that number is used to denote the speed portion of a Speed Alert. The associated default proximity distance is derived automatically from this speed.

Special File Names

If the file name contains numbers, a Speed Alert is created unless the file name also contains ‘Redlight’, in which case the numbers are ignored and a Proximity Alert created.

In addition to “Redlight” the following keywords also generate alerts:

“Gatso, Mobile, specs, safety, speed & Camera".

Unlike the case of “Redlight”, these become Speed Alerts, if there is also a number in the file name – otherwise, they are Proximity Alerts of 1/4mile (402m). (In other words, when specified alone (with no numbers), they generate identical Proximity alerts to “Redlight”.)

Whichever way they are set, Speed Alerts also have a proximity associated with them. By default, this is the greater of 1/4mile (402m) or the distance rquired to give 36 seconds warning.

Alert Implementations

The Speed and Proximity alerts detailed above, are all of the type “Along Road”. They are only triggered when you are at the specified distance (and travelling at the specified speed) on the road that contains them. When in Routing mode, the concept of the ‘road that contains them’, is extended to consider the whole route as one road.

Tour Guide Alerts

If the file name contains the (case-sensitive) phrase “TourGuide” (sic), then the Alerts are of the type “Tour Guide” (sic). “Tour Guide” alerts seem to be of a straightforward circular nature – where the proximity distance is the radius of the circle. They are always Proximity Alerts: any attempt to associate a Speed with them just alters the computed Proximity distance (a useful side-effect!).

“Tour Guide” alerts generated in this manner have the same audio associated with every POI (from an mp3 of the same name as the csv file).

gpx files

Using .gpx format, you have complete control of Speed/Proximity and Audio on a per POI basis. The POI alert type can be set on an individual POI-basis (through the presence or absence of the "TourGuide" phrase in the audio filename).
Missing information is defaulted in the manner already discussed.

The information in this FAQ has been derived from observation and experimentation. The version of POI Loader at the time of writing was V2.4.2
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
any number in the file name will make POI Loader set an alert at that speed. It causes great amusement with Q8 petrol stations and 4-Star Petrol which give alerts of 8 and 4 mph respectively. you don't need the '@' sign in the file name.

the other way to set proximity alerts is to set them per POI in the file itself by adding @30, @40 etc in the file. this has the advantage of having a single file that offers multiple different speed warnings.

it DOES NOT give an alert ZONE though - it simply sets the speed and POI Loader uses it (too long in my opinion) default alert distance.

MaFt

... and mine.

That's why I like the GPX alternative with the embedded 'Proximity' tag.[/b]
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: