Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how do i download pocket gps to applemac
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how do i download pocket gps to applemac
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattcartmell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: how do i download pocket gps to applemac Reply with quote

Its impossible, ive downloaded stuffit expander and it still says decompression failed. the video and support is poor for impossible apple usage. ive been a member for a day and i have requested a refund!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you thought that you might just be doing something a teeny bit wrong? If you ask for help, you will get loads here. We are all pretty friendly, and quite a few of us (inexplicably) use Apple devices, so can really help you get on top of it Very Happy
BTW, it's almost certainly not impossible.

Last edited by M8TJT on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, all of the Admin team from this site use Mac based computers and can download/ install the database to their device using the Apple hardware, I appreciate this fact doesn't help you but can you give us some additional information in order to assist with the problems you are experiancing:

What GPS device are you trying to install to, manufacturer and model

Have you tried a new download from this site then use Stuffit to extract the files from that as it is possible the download is crock, rare, but even so it can happen, a fresh download can often resolve such issues - Mike
mattcartmell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Frustration!! Reply with quote

Many Thanks, Im Using An IMac PC and a TomTom Live 950. and I Have Tried Many DownLoads but its Not Simple..
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, you say you've downloaded Stuffit, but are you actually using it to unzip your camera database downloads?

Have you tried right-clicking one of the zip files? Do you then get a menu offering the option to "Open with...."?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

,,, or just drag the Zip File to Stuffit and it should automatically extract the files.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mattcartmell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: StuffIt Engine error: -43 Reply with quote

Many Thanks All, If I DownLoad Cameras to My Apple Mac is says Decompression Failed so i Drag it to Stuffit and it says a Failure has Occurred!
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try downloading 'The Unarchiver'. I have found it much more reliable than stuffit and it is free. Just drag the file onto it and it will extract into a new folder. Google for the best download - if you are running an up to date version of Snow Leopard or Lion, you can download it for free from the Mac App store.
mattcartmell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks, I Have Managed to get the Cameras on to a folder, Please how do i get them onto my TomTom?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Finder to Copy, then Paste, all the unzipped files into the folder on your 950 called Western Europe (or it may be called Western and Central Europe, or maybe even just Europe - I haven't got a 950).

Follow these instructions to install and activate them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow the windows insructions but where it says "Explorer" replace it with "Finder" Very Happy

MaFt
mattcartmell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Instructions dont work on applemac computers, ive got the zipped files in a folder but not sure how to paste them into tomtom 950, do i paste them into my tomtom account somehow? Many Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing you have to do is un-zip them to a place where you can find them again and the instructions at item 4 in the link that Dennis gave above show you where to paste them on your TT into the map folder
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye Gods this is hard werk!!

The instructions DO werk on applemac computers. I've just dun it myself right now.

MaFt said "Follow the Windows instructions but where it says Explorer replace it with Finder".

So you have done the download. You have now also double clicked and extracted all the files in the downloaded zip file, so you now have a folder with 128 files in it, here's the top end of the list....

Now, connect your 950 to the applemac computer and switch it (the 950) on. When it asks if you want to connect to computer, tap YES. That will start the program called TomTom Home. If it doesn't start TomTom Home, presumably it will ask you if you wish to install TomTom Home, to which you answer yes. When TT Home has finished installing and is ready to use, do NOT use it. Instead start Finder (the applemac Finder program, that is) and go to the folder where you have extracted the 128 files. Highlight all the ones named pocketgps_uk_xxxxxxxxx, then Edit, Copy them.

In Finder you will now have another drive mounted - on my applemac computer it has the name "Internal", it may be the same on yours, or it may be called TomTom. Who knows, but it'll be the one that you haven't seen before.

Click on that drive and you will see a whole long list of files and folders. There will be one folder called Western Europe, or Western & Central Europe, or Europe - that's the folder which contains your map. Click on it and you'll see a long list of files, probably the first ones will be cline.dat, cname.dat and cnode.dat - if you have, you've selected the correct folder.

Now click Edit, Paste 128 items and that should paste all the (128) downloaded camera files into your 950.

You have now finished with the applemac computer. So go to the program TomTom Home and in the top menu select Device... Disconnect Device. When it says you can now disconnect your device do NOT disconnect your device - sit and wait until your 950 boots up and asks again if you wish to connect to computer, this time answer NO. When the map appears on the 950, then you can switch off the 950 and disconnect it from the applemac and then close the computer program TomTom Home.

Now you can go back to the instructions, by clicking the link I gave you above and pick up the instructions where they start to tell you how to make the cameras and warnings work on your 950.

IOn case you are not good with instructions, there is ONE instruction that you should obey - when the thing asks you "Is this the sound you wish to use", you must tap YES - it will not be playing a sound for you to agree to - that is a bug in the 950, but do say YES, otherwise you'll be back here saying it stops werking or something!

This thing werks, piece of cake, truly. And it takes a lot less time than it has taken me to type this. Go for it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Highlight all the ones named pocketgps_uk_xxxxxxxxx, then Edit, Copy them.
Where 'pocketgps_uk_xxxxxx' means all the files that start with pocketgps_uk_

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: