Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Un-Navigable road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Un-Navigable road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Un-Navigable road Reply with quote

Help,

How can I make a road be used for navigation??

My new 1005 exhibits the same issue with the maps as my 730 used to, it wont route down the road into my local estate in MK. Instead of a 100yard road it takes a 5 minute detour, getting to the opposite end of the road as well.

I tried on my 730 to correct it with map corrections, however all the junctions are correct with arrows where they should be. The road doesn't have anything on it to indicate its blocked, its driving me up the wall.

If anyone has a spare few minutes and feels like trying to find out why, its Nymans Gate in Westcroft, Milton Keynes. Route from Buckingham to MK4 4FE and then see which way it takes you into the estate, certainly not via Nymans Gate, the quickest way. This is even the same on the web planner, and has existed for a few years now. The road has been there the same length of time as Exbury Lane, don't understand.

Thanks for any light shedding moments you may have.

Gary
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a good one, isn't it!

For anyone else trying it, once you've tried the full route from Buckingham, you can adjust the start point closer and closer to the destination and keep re-calculating it.

If you start anywhere on Nyemans Gate itself, it takes the sensible route, but as soon as you move back out onto Snellshall street (from the North or South) then it takes the silly route.

Switching to shortest route makes no difference either.

So that implies there's something wrong in the join between the two roads, but I haven't spotted it yet!
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, glad its not just me, Laughing Out Loud

I have all manner of delivery drivers struggle, driving the sat nav way, but after delivery I tell them up there turn right, back on main roads, they laugh usually. Not sure if its just a TT thing, don't have anything else to try, but suffice to say, Google does the same thing.

Rolling Eyes

Gary
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can report it to TomTom for you, but I'll wait a bit.... to see if anyone clever can work out WHY it's doing it first!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route fails in both directions. It looks as if the data associated with that junction is corrupt/incomplete. It could be either, or both, roads that are in error.

Unfortunately there is nothing in MapShare that allows it to be corrected 'on the fly'.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking chaps. Anything that could be done would be good, after all, why shouldn't it work Shocked

Whenever I set a route home from anywhere, I always knock 5 mins off of the arrival time, because I don't blindly follow the TT, but use my initiative and use the "un-navigable" road. Its fine, its tarmaced, with a speed limit, in fact the wife saw the google street view car drive down it when they were mapping the area a couple of years back.

Cheers.

Gary
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I know another very similar situation to this. Try Weston Lane B11 (52.45221, -1.85235) to Battery Lane B11 (52.45223, -1.86338). Is this the same?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happens to the OP's route using Google Maps to plan the route.
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I was about to mention that Google does the same.. What I did notice though is if with the OP's original post on Google Maps and drag the route to one side of Nymans gate that it will plan a more direct route.

Could it be something as daft as a junction with incorrect routing? IE Thinking it's a one way route when it's quite obviously not, hence the wierd round the houses routing?

Same thing happens with the B11 address's, if you play with them in Google Maps you can get it to route nearly directly.

Google and TT use the same data so I guess it's a no brainer they'd both be wrong..
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that the walking directions in Google for both journeys take the correct route, and are much quicker than the convoluted driving route. (In the MK case, over the disputed road, not starting from Buckingham!)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unseen wrote:

Could it be something as daft as a junction with incorrect routing? IE Thinking it's a one way route when it's quite obviously not, hence the wierd round the houses routing?

No... Mapshare shows all the turn directions as allowed and the road as open in both directions
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Mapsource with slightly old maps 2011.1 it routes from Buckingham centre to Nymans 10.4 miles and 13.03 mins. So Navtech maps seem to have got it right.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
It could be either, or both, roads that are in error.

It appears to be Nymans Gate that's in error. On Google Maps, if you drag the 'End' marker to a point within the first few yards of Nymans Gate, it takes the sensible route but, if you drag the marker further, the route changes at 51.999552, -0.799937. It seems to be close to where the road widens at a layby.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: