Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using road junctions as "via" points
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using road junctions as "via" points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldie67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Using road junctions as "via" points Reply with quote

TT XL IQ Europe Live

When I'm travelling north I have a choice of four routes from the M25 clockwise.....and last time I went a fifth, the M11, just to try it.

Is it possible to set a road junction, for example M25/M11, as a "via", without having to input a "city" first?

A simliar question about motorway or A road junctions. Sometimes I want to use a specific junction even though it's not the fastest route, like A1 junction 48. . Or a particular road junction, like A1/A66.

Without knowing which city they're supposed to be in, I usually pick a point on the map, This seems to give different results depending on which road you specify, or the slip road connecting them. Then there's the problem of getting on the right side of the dual carriageway.....

Is there any simple way to do it?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Motorway Entry POI, and a separate Exit POI, in the POI Download section Here, under Transport.

They also cover A roads that are classified as Motorways.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set a via point in browse map the other day, when I got there it was a roundabout, and the TT wanted to take me all the way around the roundabout. Fortunately it was a small roundabout, if it had been a motorway entrance or exit, I've no idea how it would deal with it.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms have always been missing the ability to search for road junctions in the way we humans actually talk about them, such as your "M25/M11" example.

As you've found, some roads are entered in the database, but you need to guess what "city" TomTom have assigned them to and this is often nigh on impossible.

Using the PGPSW set of motorway exits and entrance POIs as Oldboy suggests is a great way to get round this. You can use them as "via" points directly, or just use them in "browse map" to get close to where you want to be and then use the blue cursor to pinpoint the exact spot, like you've already been doing.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a similar question in this thread. Maybe the suggestions there will help you

Rick
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the motorway entrance / exit POIs quite often. I have the exit POI set with a warning of 9999yds to show how far the next exit is.

I use the entry POI to divert around delays, but the other week found a flaw with it. serious delays on the M25 meant I needed to divert from J10-J8. So selecting navigate to M25/J8ccw, but TT insisted on trying to get me to go back onto the M25, so I had the idea of selecting avoid motorways but only to find "no route possible" because the POI is located on the carriageway rather than the entry to the slip road Sad

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally it was written for a recovery truck driver, so that he could access a Motorway between any 2 junctions to arrive on the correct carriageway, from any point of the compass.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: