Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom map downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom map downloads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tescodirect
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: TomTom map downloads Reply with quote

I have just bought a TomTom Start 2, with the intention of adding maps of North America to use this week. Logged on to TomTom Home, and downloaded the maps, but unfortunately they won't load onto the device. Have tried and re-tried numerous times, and I just get an error message about the file being invalid. Have emailed TomTom asking how to remedy this, but no response as yet. Trawling the net, it seems like large map file donwloads is a common problem with TomTom, and one which often does not get remedied.

Any suggestions or advice? Is this something that is likely to be sorted out within the next 24 hours, or should I just ask for a refund?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Start-2 model have you purchased a UK&ROI model or the Western_Europe version as this makes quite a difference? - Mike
tescodirect
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I have the TomTom Start2 UK&ROI. I take it that you cannot load the North America maps onto this device, which basically means the device is not fit for purpose? Is this information stated anywhere? Does this mean I am entitled to a refund on both the map and the sat nav, as the only reason I bought this model was with the intention of loading the US maps and using it there?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a suggestion in this thread which might help.

BTW it's because of the confussion multiple threads causes that we ask members not to start duplicate threads and hence the other one is locked.
tescodirect
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Paul,
I am very sorry about the duplication, and I can honestly say it was not intentional. I would promise not to do it again, were it not for the fact that I have no idea how it happened this time. Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tescodirect wrote:

I have the TomTom Start2 UK&ROI. I take it that you cannot load the North America maps onto this device, which basically means the device is not fit for purpose? Is this information stated anywhere? Does this mean I am entitled to a refund on both the map and the sat nav, as the only reason I bought this model was with the intention of loading the US maps and using it there?

I'm sorry if what I'm going to say sounds harsh, but I don't see how you can say the device is "not fit for purpose", as you specifically bought the cheapest regional model which comes with enough storage space for maps of the UK and Ireland only. The amount of storage space is clearly stated on the TomTom website
A little research before you bought it would have shown that models with larger memory or expansion slots which are capable of holding maps of entire continents are easily available, but obviously would cost a bit more.

If you went out and bought a bucket, would you then feel you were entitled to a refund because you couldn't fit a whole bathtub-full of water in it and no-one had told you?

You could always ask for a refund because you made a mistake (or pay the difference to upgrade to a different model), but as the device is working exactly as specified you aren't really entitled to anything.
However, if you bought from an internet supplier such as TescoDirect, I believe the 'distance selling regulations' do give you a period of grace to return goods without giving a reason.

I'd suggest you go to the TomTom website and check the sizes of the maps you want to add and then check the specs of the different models before you decide which one to purchase.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tescodirect, I have just been to the TT UK web-site to check the specs. "Start² Regional Black; Internal memory - 1GB internal flash memory; SD Slot - No."

I then went to the TT Map Download page and entered in that I had a TT Start2 and wanted to download a map of the USA. The site reccommends to download USA at 1549Mb and suggests that I may try the USA & Mexico 2Gb map at 1615Mb instead.

There is no way that these maps can fit on this device. If this is the same information that TtHome offered you, you should have a strong case for having your money refunded by TomTom support - but don't hold your breath!. Additionally, if you bought your SatNav in a shop where you happened to mention to the salesperson, prior to purchase, that you were going to install USA maps on it, you may be able to exchange it for another device there which does support US maps.

Good luck!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
tescodirect
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Andy P,

as the next post states, the point is that TomTom are giving out misleading information. It is all very well saying that I should have checked the small-print on the TomTom website, but I purchased the unit from Amazon, and there is nothing on there to let you know that you cannot add maps to this unit. There is nothing to tell you that you need to buy the EU version for this purpose. Also, when you purchase a map to download, the TomTom website asks you which unit it is for. What is the point of asking for this information, if they then proceed to sell you something that cannot be installed on that unit? I bought the UK version because I did not want EU maps: I merely wanted a basic device upon which I could load US maps, an option that would work out cheaper than hiring a unit for the duration of my stay. I now realise that a simpler solution would have been to buy a cheap sat nav over there, as I have become aware that the cost of a cheap sat nav from Walmart in the US is not much more than paying to download US maps onto your existing model.

Thank you very much everyone else who has responded to my question, as your replies have been most helpful.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tescodirect wrote:
Dear Paul,
I am very sorry about the duplication, and I can honestly say it was not intentional. I would promise not to do it again, were it not for the fact that I have no idea how it happened this time. Confused

Its not a problem. Just explaining.

I think AliOnHols has hit it on the head. The TT website should not be recommending maps for a device that doesn't have sufficient memory. It's not a case that the device is not fit for purpose however as it does the job it was sold for. However you have a case for a refund on the maps as you were mis sold the maps on the basis they were suitable for your hardware.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...the website asks you to input which device you have, before offering you the maps. There does not seem to be a technical capacity check by Home. Therefore it relies on you knowing your device and its flash memory capacity.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. TomTom have recommended a map for a device that doesn't have the capability to hold it. Under the circumstances most retainers would give an immediate refund.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Exactly. TomTom have recommended a map for a device that doesn't have the capability to hold it. Under the circumstances most retainers would give an immediate refund.

What I meant was the OP seems not to have known the model, or memory capacity, so what did he put in the 'which device do you have' box? Before proceeding to purchase...
Kia In-dash Tomtom
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I see that now. With TTs confusing models lines I can see how this might happen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small note on the map download page stating that some maps might not fit certain versions of hardware, in the case of the units with no memory card slot this is a very important issue but not that obvious, I would give TomTom Customer Support a ring (0845 161 0009) as you have good reason for a refund on the map you incorrectly purchased.

Guivre46 wrote:
technical capacity check by Home.

Thats a contradiction and a half!

Please don't expect Home to do anything technical Laughing - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say that Home is the technical equivalent of cave painting, with a resigned tone; but now and again you can specifically identify what it sadly lacks.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: