Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new to all this and need advice on camera files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new to all this and need advice on camera files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: new to all this and need advice on camera files Reply with quote

Hi

i had a TT930 which had a failed screen, it was cheaper to buy a second hand TT1 which i did.

I paid for the speed camera files (ok i bought of em of tomtom when i got it, but i see this site has a better database so lesson learnt)

so what i want to know is can i use the files on my 930 on my one.

ive read the threads and seen the videos of which files go where so i tried copying the ov2 files and the bitmaps (all named correctly)over and i see the POI apppear in the list, i use the "warn when near" option but when i drive past a camera it doesnt appear on the satnav and no sound is heard.

I will (at the end of the month when im paid as you dont take credit cards) be subscribing to this sites database but only if i feel confident that i can install the files correctly.

thanks in advance.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome newtomoneowner.

I think a little clarification may be needed.

If you have bought your Speed Camera POI's from Tom Tom, only they can answer if it is possible to transfer your database from your old 930 to your new TT1. It is the luck of the draw, some people have successfully transfered, others have not.

If you have, in the past, downloaded the database from here, there is nothing stopping you from transferring those files over to your new device right now. If your subscription is still active, you can download and install the latest version. If your subscription has lapsed, you shall need to re-subscribe to get the latest version of the database.

The TT1 is compatible with the Pocket GPSWorld Speed Camera Database from here.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer Mad

so are files supplied by pgps and the ones on my tomtom not the same type of files then, i thought that they all worked in the same way.

oh well i'lll wait till the end of the month and pay my subs for this site then, in the meantime, i'd better keep my eyes open for the sneaky little cameras that cost me points me and pounds.

thanks for the reply

Please do not use alternative characters to circumvent the swear filter. PaulB2005

Sorry about that can ill use the word bummer instead ?

Last edited by newtomoneowner on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so are files supplied by pgps and the ones on my tomtom not the same type of files then, i thought that they all worked in the same way.

They are and at the same time they are not.

The TT ones use encryption to make it difficult (impossible) for anyone outside TT to read the files. They may also use it to make sure that the files can't be used on the unit other than the one they are bought and paid for.
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh i thought that was the case, when i tried to open it in notepad, its just a bunch of garbage where as other POI's contain some readable text.

Oh and i found out this site takes credit cards so ive subscribed and got the newest database and have just taken it for a test drive. Very Happy

thanks for the replies guys and girls.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: