Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem upgrading to version 3 - please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem upgrading to version 3 - please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukfaffa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Problem upgrading to version 3 - please help Reply with quote

I have attempted to upgrade to version 3 from version 2 and had alot of problems with the setup crashing. I apear to have eventually installed the upgrade and then removed the orginal version 2 maps and installed the maps from the upgrade CD.

I now am getting the message "no maps found, please install and activate an orginal TomTom Navigator 2 map first.

I do not understand how to proceed ?????

I am going away next week and would like to use the SATNAV. Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand there is no need to upgrade. You can simply wipe out the version 2 completely, then do a soft reset, and then install the version 3. The activation information should pop up when you first access version 3.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may be another victim of TomTom Wizard. This problem is particularly frustrating as it seems to stem from a lack of agreement within TomTom's development team.

I've never managed to get TomTom Wizard to work. Other posters on the forum have indicated that TomTom Wizard seems to expect your maps to be in the My Documents folder, even on a storage card. Historically, Navigator maps have gone in the root directory of a storage card - and that's where the TomTom Navigator 3 installer on my CD-ROM puts them if you tell it to install the maps directly to a card reader.

If you select the TomTom Navigator option in your Start Menu, does that work? If so, consider uninstalling TomTom Wizard - you simply lose the program that isn't working for you and the Today screen plugin that uses an inordinate amount of precious Today screen space to launch one program (if, like me, you want to launch programs from your Today screen, consider Spb's Pocket Plus 2.0, or possibly - though I regard it as inferior - Omega One's Battery Pack Pro). In return, you get a precious few hundred KBytes of memory back.

The only other wrinkle with starting Navigator is that if you move the TomTom Navigator shortcut out of the Start Menu (surely it's the user's right to decide where he or she wants in his/her Start Menu), the Navigator program tends to delete the shortcut.

There's various ways to work round this. Renaming the shortcut might work, though I haven't tried this. I tend to launch Navigator from GPSAssist 2 anyway, which doesn't need this shortcut. If I do want to launch Navigator without GPSAssist, I use the Navigator icon on my Spb's Pocket Plus' Today screen plugin to do so. If you configure Pocket Plus or other Today screen program launchers using a custom link to the .exe file, it doesn't matter if the shortcut disappears.

If you lose the shortcut and want it back, simply copy TomTom Navigator.lnk from \Program Files\Navigator to \Windows\Start Menu.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: