Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bracketron Nav-Mat Portable Sat-Nav Dashboard Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bracketron Nav-Mat Portable Sat-Nav Dashboard Mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Bracketron Nav-Mat Portable Sat-Nav Dashboard Mount Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of the aforementioned mounts for use with a TT x50 unit please?

They seem to have a number of good reviews on Amazon.co.uk, but to me they seem a little pricey at £24.

Anyway here's the link to the thing: Bracketron Nav Mat
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do neater and cheaper: http://www.buybits.com/Catalogue.aspx?cid=2358
Kia In-dash Tomtom
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one, works wuite well but your dash DOES need to be quite flat. also, i needed to get an arkon mount for my tomtom 520 as the 'stubby' mount that came with the tt was too short for it to fit over the ledge.

£24 is a rip off! think i got one for about a tenner?!! however the RRP IS around £19.99

have you seen the nav mat ii? doesn't have the beanbag edge so mount length wouldn't be an issue.

you could also try the tomtom one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-9UUB-001-01-Beanbag-Dashboard-Mount/dp/B00261J1D8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

MaFt
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a bit bulkier, but copes well with unflat dashes and absorbs a lot of vibration - my current favourite:
http://www.buybits.com/product/sku_3109.aspx
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the official TT one & it's a copy of the Arkon one, which requires a hook to be stuck to the dash, so that's a no-no.

The other (square) one from Buybits, I'm not sure I think it's going to be too bulky, I'm going to have to check on the angles of my cars dash, whether it would work or not.

But as for using sticky things or screws they're definite NO NOs.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in which case, to answer your initial query, yes it will work well BUT if your mount looks like this: then you will need a different one as the base of the tomtom catches on the edge of the beanbag mount (hence why the tomtom one is cutaway at the front).

i use an arkon tomtom mount that i got for about £3 from ebay... it wasn't advertised as an arkon mount so i don't think the guy knew what he was selling :D. it has a longer arm so it doesn't push against the beanbag.

MaFt
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The square one is 8"x8" with a 4"x4" mounting plate. It is the most flexible of all the BBs I've tried. This allows me to get it as close to me as possible - some of the others were too firm to cope with the edge of the dash [particularly the Arkon]. Also as the mounting plate is level with the sides of the bean bag it can cope with a short-arm mount.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've bitten the bullet & gone for the one suggested by Guivre46, hopefully it should be here on Saturday or Monday.

However I've been in contact with Southmid who sell the Bracketron mat & asked them about compatibility of the mat and the dock mount of the x50 series and apparently there's a new version due for release to cater for those sat navs which have very short mounts.

I can't say anymore at this stage though.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ordered from Buybits before 4pm it should be with you tomorrow. I've tried 5 BB bases, and hope you will be pleased with the Gilsson [name of one you ordered].
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one from Buy Bits arrived today & will be returned on Monday, unless someone here wants to buy it.

It doesn't fit my cars (Skoda Octavia) dashboard. When I attach the TT750 it hits the windscreen & I won't have it in the line of vision under any circumstances whatsoever.

The problem comes because the dashboard has a lid on it for a small box where I keep my parking tokens/passes etc, if I put that on it, it keeps springing open! Not acceptable.

I've got a Nav-Mat too, so I know that won't fit either because of the dashboard box! So that will have to go back too. I guess I'll just have to keep sticking it to the windscreen. Sad
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, I like beanbags a lot. Was your original post because of security worries or because of trouble adhering mount to the windscreen? I guess any dashboard solution - eg adhesive disc - is out for the same reason?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Wazza_G have you considered the Brodit Pro-Clip and TomTom Brodit accessory mount for the x50, these attach to the dash without using any screw fixings and provide a very stable mounting solution, not cheap but they are a quality product - Mike
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A combination of both. I'd prefer not to leave ring marks on the windscreen if possible.

The thing is & it maybe me being picky, but I just don't want to put the mat on the lid of the dashbox & then the thing either sticks down so I can't get what's inside it out or it to pop open when I take it away & not be able to close it again.

I've tried moving it (the Gilsson) to the RHS of the speedo & it still won't fit properly, it's just too big, it fouls the air vent if I move it to a position where it will fit & I like to have fresh air coming in when I'm driving it keeps me alert.

The normal place I have it (TomTom) when it's attached to the windscreen is at the bottom RHS of the windscreen so it's visible but not in my line of vision, so plod doesn't have an argument about it obscuring my vision.

I've got the Bracketron here as well, it's still in its plastic box, I don't think I dare open it because I'm almost certain, it'll have exactly the same problem, so I'll have to return it.

As for an adhesive disc.... Shocked Noooooo!

TBH, I'm getting really pi$$ed off with not being able to get a mount that doesn't leave the tell tale marks or uses an adhesive disc!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of cold air still gets past the unit as it doesn't fully cover the vent:

To see how the Pro-Clip installs to the car without screws etc see a couple of my posts in This Thread, whilst its a 940 Live I was installing there won't be any difference for a 750, look at the second page of the linked thread for some ideas on how to hide the cables although thats a little drastic for most - Mike
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike, I think you know my feelings about Brodit stuff!

Too expensive for what it is & it distorts the dashboard joints when it's removed, also with the bracket permanently on display its more or less saying that there could be a sat nav within the car.

That's why I want to have a beanbag mount, however it's looking increasingly likely that I'll just have to put up with ring marks & a isopropyl wipe. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: