Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No photo's in picture viewer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No photo's in picture viewer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAD123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: No photo's in picture viewer Reply with quote

Hope you can help me with this problem.

I have the Garmin nuvi 200w. I works OK but lately when I look at my picture viewer on the device nothing is showing. I know the pictures that I have downloaded are there in the device. Because I can see them when I'm connected up to my PC.

So whats wrong. Why cant I get my Photographs to show up in picture viewer!
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No photo's in picture viewer Reply with quote

Do the ones supplied with the device still appear? (Garmin_Asia.jpg etc) - assuming they do, and you've put yours in the same directory, it must be down to the actual data contents of your JPEG files (they are JPEGs, aren't they?) Wink .

The most obvious thing that might upset the Nüvi is the dimensions - if the JPEG is straight from a digital camera; try re-scaling to something closer to the Nüvi screen perhaps?

Alternatively, you may have one of the lesser supported options set in your JPEGs. I had this situation recently, when setting up a Digital Photo frame. In my case, it was enabling 'Progressive' when I converted the files, that caused the problem.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
JAD123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No photo's in picture viewer Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
JAD123 wrote:
I have the Garmin nuvi 200w. I works OK but lately when I look at my picture viewer on the device nothing is showing. I know the pictures that I have downloaded are there in the device. Because I can see them when I'm connected up to my PC.

So whats wrong. Why cant I get my Photographs to show up in picture viewer!

Do the ones supplied with the device still appear? (Garmin_Asia.jpg etc) - assuming they do, and you've put yours in the same directory, it must be down to the actual data contents of your JPEG files (they are JPEGs, aren't they?) Wink .

The most obvious thing that might upset the Nüvi is the dimensions - if the JPEG is straight from a digital camera; try re-scaling to something closer to the Nüvi screen perhaps?

Alternatively, you may have one of the lesser supported options set in your JPEGs. I had this situation recently, when setting up a Digital Photo frame. In my case, it was enabling 'Progressive' when I converted the files, that caused the problem.

Hi Phil. They are JPEG'S and the photo's I have on my Nuvi did used to appear in picture viewer. But not anymore! As for the the ones supplied with the device I deleted quite a few of them to make more space... Embarassed

I've not long had a new computer and whilst downloading new updates using my new PC I may done something wrong.

As you may have already guessed. I'm a silver surfer and not very good with computers!... Laughing
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Try with original file... Reply with quote

JAD123 wrote:
As for the the ones supplied with the device I deleted quite a few of them to make more space... Embarassed

Let's see if we can get it to display one of its original JPEGs as a starting point. If you click HERE, it will display one of the original files in your browser and you can then right-click the image and do "Save Picture As...". If your Nüvi is connected at the time, you can save it directly to its \Garmin\JPEG folder.

Assuming this works, we can then have a look at what might be going on with the others.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JAD123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no joy Phil. Did what you asked. But couldn't find any folder called /Garmin/JPEG folder on my device. Tried dropping the Asia photo into different folders on the device to see if anything would appear. But Picture viewer is still not showing any photographs.

John
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a 200W to hand, so I don't know if it searches the entire device for pictures, or just restricts itself to the \Garmin\JPEG folder.

How about recreating \Garmin\JPEG and putting the Garmin_Asia.jpg in there (and at the same time, remove any *.JPG files from other locations on the device.)

If it can't display one of Garmin's own files, I'm rapidly running out of ideas Sad

...Check the Nüvi file system for corruption maybe? (using CHKDSK, or its Windows Explorer | Properties | Tools | "Error-Checking" equivalent) Question

Last edited by PhilHornby on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got the SD card in read-only mode? little switch on the side of it. could be that the nuvi needs out of read-only mode?

MaFt
JAD123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[How about recreating \Garmin\JPEG and putting the Garmin_Asia.jpg in there (and at the same time, remove any *.JPG files from other locations on the device.)
........................................................................................................
Tried that. Still nothing. No worries. The Garming nuvi works OK for what it was designed for. I'll keep pottering around with it now and again. You never know!

MaFt. Tried the little switch on the side of the SD card. Still the same. No photo's in picture viewer.

Funny thing is when I first installed the SD card. The Garmin nuvi used to ask me every time I turned it on....Do you want to transfer your files from the SD card onto the Garmin nuvi. Or words to that affect! But its stopped doing that.

Thank you for your help.

John
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: SD Card? Reply with quote

JAD123 wrote:
Tried the little switch on the side of the SD card. Still the same. No photo's in picture viewer.

So what happens with no card - and just the \Garmin\Jpeg\Garmin_Asia.jpg Question

(Maybe there are some JPEGs on the card it doesn't like...)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: