Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 mount question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 mount question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: 940 mount question Reply with quote

My recently acquired 940 is performing well (touch wood, fingers crossed etc.) but I'm looking for an alternative to the screen mount as I don't like anything stuck on the windscreen. I previously used a Dell PDA in a Brodit holder and Pro-Clip over the air vent in my Audi A4.

I'd like something similar for the 940 but I won't use it often and although I'm currently using my three-month trial of Live services, I won't be subscribing when the trial ends; I'll give RDS-TMC a go.

So to the question - I want to mount the 940 to my existing Pro-Clip and use RDS-TMC other than with the RDS-TMC receiver that sticks on the windscreen, i.e. I need something like TomTom's Active Dock Traffic RDS-TMC but able to be mounted on a Pro-Clip, plus I want to be able to leave the Pro-Clip installed but remove the 940's cradle so it doesn't advertise that a 940 is used in the car (I'm thinking of using a Brodit Move Clip).

Brodit sells an Active Dock Holder with Tilt Swivel but it doesn't have the in-built RDS-TMC receiver that the TomTom Active Dock has. Would the TT Active Dock work if a way could be found to mount it to the Move Clip, the cable would hang down to the centre console.

Any answers or suggestions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplest idea would be to stick one of the plastic discs you can get to a ProClip and then affix the TomTom mount using suction to that?

No need for a MOVE clip at all and easily installed/removed?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, I knew there had to be a simpler way....

That just leaves RDS-TMC reception to consider.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
That just leaves RDS-TMC reception to consider.

Not a lot you can ado about reception other than an external antenna which is hard if the mount needs to be removed?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a rather costly approach but you could fit the RDS-TMC receiver mount to the Brodit type mount but this would involve purchasing both the TMC equipped mount AND the Brodit mount to make one unit out of the two. For the aerial feed fit a small socket on the rear of the mount and connect it via a small capacitor to the cars aerial.
Its not difficult to take the mount to bits as there are only two torx head screws involved I can post up some pictures later today if you want to see how its done? - Mike
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike but it's not really worth the cost and effort considering how infrequently it is likely to be used - much of my motoring these days is done in my '63 Riley.

If I could be sure the RDS-TMC receiver mount would work in that position, I'd go for it and the stick-on disc solution Darren suggested.

It' a pity TomTom doesn't offer the RDS-TMC receiver mount as an option at the time of purchase rather than as an add-on accessory that makes the original mount unnecessary.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For occasional use this takes some beating. It stays put on every car I have tried it on. I use a Brodit ProClip on my Mondeo, but it was such a tight fit that it has cracked the trim facia for the clock, and if I ever have to remove it, I am sure that it will break completely. I use the Arkon mount on my wife's VW, and wish I had bought one for my Mondeo before fitting the ProClip
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discounted a dash-top mount as it wouldn't put the 940 where I want it - not close enough and it would intrude into my field of view - fussy aren't I?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose it depends how tall you are. In my case it obscures part of the bonnet, but not the road ahead!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
If I could be sure the RDS-TMC receiver mount would work in that position, I'd go for it and the stick-on disc solution Darren suggested.

I am not too sure it will work correctly sat on a dash disk as there is an anti-rotation mechanism inside the RDS-TMC mount to prevent the aerial wire from being snapped, the following pictures should show you the difference (and how to take them appart):

Normal (Non TMC) Brodit Accessory mount (3 connector)

Start by removing the two torx screws from the back of the mount:

With the screws removed the plastic part which the device directly sits on can be taken off:

Remove the four Torx screws to release the ball retainer plate:

The ball retainer plate can now be simply pulled off:

Next release the two Torx screws securing the rear ball retaining ring:

The rear ball retaining ring is pulled off the ball allowing the components to seperate:

Now for the RDS-TMC equipped mount

The initial steps are the same to remove the front case face, simply take out the two Torx screws from the back of the mount and remove the L shaped plastic the device sits on when in the mount (Note the aerial wire through the center of the ball):

Disconnect the TMC aerial wire from the PCB it is a quick release connector that simply flicks out with the use of a thumb nail, the same free plug is used on the iPAQ 4700 WiFi daughter board so it is easy to get a length of cable with the correct connector already attached to interface back to the PCB:

Take great care pulling the ball retainers off as the wire aerial runs through them and you don't want to damage the cable:

Notice the difference in the ring with its anti-rotation tab, it is this that will make the mount difficult to use on a dash disk, there should be enough hints in the above text and pictures to make a Brodit style mount from two different accessories even if it is a rather costly approach! - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm getting confused. Why would the TMC mount not mount to a dash disk? It has a suction base and presumably the same range of movement?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Its a rather costly approach but you could fit the RDS-TMC receiver mount to the Brodit type mount but this would involve purchasing both the TMC equipped mount AND the Brodit mount to make one unit out of the two.

Strangely enough, that's almost exactly what I'm contemplating, when I finally pension off the 720 as "preferred model" (at the moment the 720 is on a custom mount on the dash and the 940 is on the windscreen but it's nowhere near as easy to reach).

One of these:

and one of these:

....bodged together and mounted on a pair of Brodit 'move clips'

. Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
presumably the same range of movement?

That is the issue the range of movement is restricted by the mechanism preventing the over rotation that protects the TMC aerial wire from being cut, if its put on a dash disk it certainly won't offer anything close to 90 degrees of movement, the dash disk would need to be attached to the front face of the dash rather than the top to be usable.

Andy, stop contemplating and make a Brodit TMC mount as once coupled to the cars aerial reception is great when the Live service expires/ fails/ falls over or you manage to find somewhere with no VodaFone coverage - Mike
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the comprehensive replies, especially Mike for the photographs.

Andy, yes - that's the solution I first had in mind but the cost and complexity rule it out. It might be worthwhile if I used my 940 every day but I don't. Having to buy two extra mounts just to place the 940 where I want it isn't on; I reckon I could use the 'sticky disc' solution and buy a year's subscription to Live services for less.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

Andy, yes - that's the solution I first had in mind but the cost and complexity rule it out.

I was lucky to be sent a RDS version of the mount when my normal one got stolen, and I bought the permanent fixing mount with a discount voucher, so it hasn't really cost me much yet.

Now if someone could tell me where I put the 'move clips' for safety when I took them out of my last car, I'd be a happy bunny! Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: