Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cfg file destroyed again: MAp Share causing?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cfg file destroyed again: MAp Share causing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: cfg file destroyed again: MAp Share causing? Reply with quote

Notice after doing my TT Home update this morning ie GPS Quick fix, and map share that all my cfg settings are destroyed again
ie home location gone, favourites.

Anyone else see this?
(TT 720T)

Must raise a ticket on TT re my TT Home not allowing postcode input from computer keyboard; nothing appears on screen at all; is OK for addresses by city etc.
Some corrupt file I guess.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just updated again to try to recreate your problem with cfg file and home location, but all is OK for me.

Hadn't tried inputting postcode from Home before but I've found that if you use the shift key to select letters as capitals it works ok.

HTH
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: post code Reply with quote

Tks; will give a try
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 've had this happen to me for the last week or so. All favorites, home location , recent dests. gone after just updating the gps quick fix, fuel, and map share. Stopped doing it yesterday. It used to only happen with map updates. I guess TT wants to get us ready for the next map update!

Bill
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey is correct... you need to use the shift key (for the first letter only) to be able to enter postcodes from the PC keyboard (The caps lock key doesn't work though).

Having mapsettings.cfg dissappear on a simple update of the things you mention is NOT normal. Are you using the "Safely remove hardware" function in the PC task bar (next to the clock) or the "eject" button in Home, before you unplug the TomTom?

It won't stop it happening again, but you can minimise the disruption next time, by just making a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file from your map's folder and keeping the copy handy (either on your PC or on the root directory of the TomTom).
Then you can just paste a copy of it back into the map folder (overwriting the new one that will be there) if it gets corrupted again.
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always request an eject from Home then from Windows. Don't know why things where playing up lately. When I turned on the display was centered on Times Sq. in NY
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: POST CODE Reply with quote

Yes it's the shift key for first digit as posted; must have been there before I presume. Thanks all.

I admit I don't always follow correct Windows protocol for removing USB devices, but it hasn't caused issues before.
However, will make more regular backups of just the cfg file for such eventualities Smile)

Just noticed the "trim" around where the traffic lead plugs in on underside has gone; I wonder if there's any chance I could get one from TT Support? Rolling Eyes
Traffic still works OK (It's not USB type) but is now a bit loose in socket as missing trim holds plug normally, not just elec connection.
Went off for repair to TT last year; wonder if they didn't reassemble correctly.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billconant wrote:
I always request an eject from Home then from Windows. Don't know why things where playing up lately. When I turned on the display was centered on Times Sq. in NY

Usually symptomatic of two things:
1. Mapsettings.cfg file has become corrupt (or disappeared Rolling Eyes ). That's where the setting for last location is kept
AND
2. No gps signal
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running a clearflash next time you connect. Make sure HOME is completely closed (no system tray icon). The device will reboot and then connect to the PC again.

Then start HOME and eject the device from within HOME. Wait for it to reboot, answer NO to connecting to the computer, then power off the TT.

See if it makes any difference. I have corrupted my XL LIVE many times by being a bit hasty on disconnecting it, even after ejecting from within HOME.

I now always wait for the device to reboot fully and power down gracefully before disconnecting, it hasn't corrupted once doing it this way. Only takes a few seconds more but saves hours in the long run!

A second thought is AntiVirus software - have you excluded the drive letter of your TT from real-time scanning? Some AV software has been known to be a little over zealous with TTs and corrupt or even remove files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: