Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1690 - anybody got one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1690 - anybody got one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: 1690 - anybody got one? Reply with quote

Has anybody any experience of fthe 1690 especially the live traffic system - I've got a TT940 and I am sick of it rebooting whilst in use and generally being an pain - I only live with it mainly because of the HD traffic system (which is good when it works) because I do a lot of miles and has saved me being stuck in long delays a few times, but I also like the google live search and IQ routes features.

Also is there any indication of how much the services will be once the year long trial (nice!) has passed?

Cheers

Rob.
screamfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1690 - anybody got one? Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
Has anybody any experience of fthe 1690 especially the live traffic system - I've got a TT940 and I am sick of it rebooting whilst in use and generally being an pain - I only live with it mainly because of the HD traffic system (which is good when it works) because I do a lot of miles and has saved me being stuck in long delays a few times, but I also like the google live search and IQ routes features.

Also is there any indication of how much the services will be once the year long trial (nice!) has passed?

Cheers

Rob.

Hi Rob
Took possession of mine 10 days ago. I had a Nuvi 310 with FM traffic.
As I do about 60k miles a year I felt it would be worth the investment.
It works very well! No resets that you mention and gets traffic info immediately you set off. My 310 would often take 30-40 minutes to get any info due to the metallised windscreen on the car.
I spoke to Garmin before I bought this and they say after the 1st year it will cost about £60/year to keep up the subscription. Shame it is included for 2 years in the States!
The subscription also includes saftey cameras which are also automaticaly updated.
The Google search is brilliant for finding locations - I used this to reprogramme all my favourites from the 310.
Overall I am very pleased. Very Happy
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic on the 1690 is the same trafficmaster data as you would get with the standard GTMxx FM traffic cables.

You should get way better reception with the 1690 as it is GPRS based rather than FM as you get on RDS TMC. BUT the data is nowhere near as detailed as TomTom HD traffic, so don't expect the same quality data as you would with that.

Google search is included, and some users say it seems to work slightly quicker than the TT google search.

There is no IQ routes included i'm afraid. Whether it will eventually use Navteq's answer to this, Traffic Patterns is unclear, but I wouldn't count on it.

If routing and traffic is really important to you I would probably stick with your TT, as it is way ahead of Garmin at the moment.

TomTom however are well known for their bug laden firmware and utterly dismal home software that makes updating maps and firmware a total lottery as i'm sure you have found, Garmin are usually much more reliable in this area.

Hope that helps you weigh up the options a little.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys, I used to be a Garmin man but the HD traffic swung it for me.
I never had any probs with either of the Garmins I owned over six years but the TT has been a nightmare from day one - I'm just waiting for Garmin to bring a HD traffic equivalent model and I thought this might have been it, but alas, it would seem not Crying or Very sad
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about a TomTom for the HD traffic and IQ as well, very tempted, but the bugginess has just about dissuaded me.

I guess Garmin will catch up in the advanced routing and traffic stakes eventually, but until then the x40 and x50 TomTom's are good units.
Spit_Fire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently purchased the 1390T (Garmin) , and i must say , its a Awesome GPS System , they have improved so Much (Had a Nuvi 300 then went to a Navman N60i) ,

1390T Does the job for me ;)

The only thing i need to find out how to change is how i change the Distance for the Sat nav to Bleep..
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spit_Fire - Have a look at Ash10's Camera Manager if you are using the PGPSW Database.

If you are using the Garmin database i don't think there's anything you can do.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know whay happens if you don't renew the NuLink subscription after the first year? I'm not bothered about data but am about traffic info.

If I connected a GTM12 cable & FM rtraffic receiver from an old Nuvi 600 series that has Lifetime traffic would this work????
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The traffic on the 1690 is the same trafficmaster data as you would get with the standard GTMxx FM traffic cables.

Are you sure about this?

What you describe is standard GPRS/TMC type traffic data whereas NuLink is supposed to be effectively the same as TT's LIVE except it uses T-Mobile (I think) for the moving traffic data. As far as I am aware the units all have a SIM card in them to receive the data so the only real difference should be the moving traffic data provided by T-Mobile vs Vodafone. I agree that the TT data may be more comprehensive on this basis based upon the number of users in circulation but I don't think it's just "standard" data

I also agree that Garmin favour Trafficmaster over ITIS and that it may not have IQ data though there are some people who suggest that Garmin's routing engine is superior in the first place.

I still have some doubts around the LIVE data - it seemed to work very well going East up the M4 yesterday when I went to Heathrow but coming home it was suggesting a 9 minute delay between J7 and J8/9 Westbound and offered to route me off the M4 at J8/9 i.e. after the accident The accident was between J7 and J8/9 and so by the time I reached the turn off I was already past the blockage so ignored the proposed deviation and just carried on down the free flowing motorway

I am keeping an eye on the 1690 and may yet "junk" my 540 in preference if reports are good.

Would be nice to see PGPSW do a comparison review!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new regional/EU application update released for the nuvi 1690 today

Changes made from version 2.60 to 3.00:
Decreased the frequency that advertisements are displayed.
Changed to hide old advertisements that could still be showing when the user left the map page.
Enhanced the functionality of the ecoRoute application.
Improved map performance to prevent a shutdown after hours of use.
Fixed an issue that could occur when selecting the next leg of a flight.
Fixed an issue where attempting to enter coordinates to save a favorite would not work properly.
Fixed shutdown that could occur while viewing certain help categories.
Fixed a shutdown that could occur when rating POI's.
Fixed a compatibility issue with CityXplorer London maps.
Fixed an issue where Ciao was not showing the proper guidance to register the unit.
Added support for improved audio clarity and volume.
Fixed shutdown that could occur in the picture viewer when a large number of pictures were loaded.
Improved function of pre-recorded voice in certain languages.
Fixed a shutdown that could occur when pairing with certain phones via Bluetooth.
Fixed issue that could occur when transferring a large phonebook to the device.
Added the underscore character to the keyboard to allow entering emails containing that character.
Fixed an issue where certain cities were not available for selection in Weather, World Clock, or Flight Status.
Improved the appearance of the roaming icon.
Fixed an issue where searching for cities 10,000 or more miles away would not show their distance correctly.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that Garmin are using any type of floating car data in their traffic services in the UK in the same way that TomTom do, they have certainly not been particularly transparent about the traffic sources they use on the 1690.

They are using T-mobile for the data connection as of course they need a provider to access gprs/edge data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: