Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Mapshare Reply with quote

Might be a silly question but how are you supposed to record errors / changes to Mapshare? I can't see how it can be possibly be done when driving without stopping the car and I can't see how it can be done back home on the PC. Am I missing something?

MB
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will depend on your device really, for me on Navcore 8.371, I have set my device up like this.....

Main Menu + Preferences + Page 4 + Quick Menu Preferences + Tick 'Mark Location Of Map Error' + Done

When I return to my main Map display, I now have a little blue arrow on the left hand side. When I tap that, I tap 'Mark Location Of Map Error' which stores that location I wish to edit until it is convenient to correct the error.

To then go on and correct the error, I go back into the main menu + Page 2 + Map Corrections.

Once i've clicked Map Corrections, I'm asked if i'd like to review and change my one marked location. Tap Yes to process, tap to to ignore and return to later.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good method for those who drive in jurisdictions NOT restricted by 'hands free' laws.

In the province of Ontario, where I live, there is such legislation in place (since October 26th). If a driver is caught fiddling with any device (gps, pnd, ipod, cell phone, etc.) while driving, it's a fine of over $100 Canadian.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar Laws here apply to mobile phones. Other devices or distractions would no doubt come under Driving without Due Care and Attention charge however. Cought with a phone in hand or use of phone that has contributed to incident, and it's points and a fine.

Do you mean caught fiddling to the detrimental control of the vehicle, or caught fiddling full stop? Full stop then I guess you have no option but to memorize the location and error then manually editing it when safe and legal to do so. That's the only hands-free method I know of.

This was the least fiddly option I can think of. Even if it is possible to mark the location with the voice commands (something I don't use), I believe you still have to press a button to activate the microphone, which doesn't really make it hands-free/voice controlled IMO.....
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is caught fiddling, full stop.

You can of course have a gps operational on your dash or windshield (windscreen Smile ) while driving, but no touching.

Not only must you pull over to touch one of the devices but the vehicle must be stopped and not blocking traffic.

All that being said, I would like to believe common sense will prevail such that if you witness an accident in front of you and call 911 (or the equivalent in the UK) on your phone while driving, you would not get charged (not that I know how they would catch you doing it....)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapshare Reply with quote

lundavra wrote:
Might be a silly question but how are you supposed to record errors / changes to Mapshare? I can't see how it can be possibly be done when driving without stopping the car and I can't see how it can be done back home on the PC. Am I missing something?

MB

Going back to your original question, basically what you need is some QUICK way of storing the location as a memory jog, and then you actually do the correction on the TomTom (not the PC) later using "Correct Location".
The way I do it, is to save a Favourite as I pass the error (that can be just one screen press if you have it set up on the quickmenu).
Then when at home I go to "Browse map" use "Find..." Favourite to get back to the spot and then once the blue cursor is in the right place tap the cursor button at the bottom and get to "Correct Location" that way.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in my Renault is controlled through a remote control and just not practical to operate whilst driving and you would be past the location anyway.

When I saw about Mapshare I presumed you would be able to do something from the computer at home so was surprised to find that you can't do that. There are two spurious 30 mph limits that I would like to remove and could find them easily on a map if they were marked.

MB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you see this as a problem.
If you know where the corrections need to be made on the map, there's no need to do anything while you're driving at all, just find the position on the map on the TomTom when you get home and you can do the corrections then. I only suggested you mark a rough position as you drove, to remind you where to look, the actual position of the correction is done later.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Not sure why you see this as a problem.
If you know where the corrections need to be made on the map, there's no need to do anything while you're driving at all, just find the position on the map on the TomTom when you get home and you can do the corrections then. I only suggested you mark a rough position as you drove, to remind you where to look, the actual position of the correction is done later.

Because it is very messy and awkward to navigate around the TomTom screen so would not bother. Perhaps other models are easier but I have the one fitted in the car. I might do if I could do on the computer.

MB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can do it in the on-screen emulator in Home ("Operate my One") if you really want to do it on the PC.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lundavra wrote:
The one in my Renault is controlled through a remote control MB

From this part of a previous post, I think the device is the built in one and it may not be possible to easily remove it from the car to connect to a pc for 'HOME' to be used to make the corrections.

Just a thought.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
lundavra wrote:
The one in my Renault is controlled through a remote control MB

From this part of a previous post, I think the device is the built in one and it may not be possible to easily remove it from the car to connect to a pc for 'HOME' to be used to make the corrections.

Just a thought.

Yes it is a built-in unit, I thought that I had not seen a HOME mode but not been back to check.

MB
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all inbuilt tomtom units had an SD card you could remove and update using Home on your computer? Rolling Eyes

iPhone 12
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lundavara, just a few more questions to help us answer your problem --
lundavra wrote:
Might be a silly question but how are you supposed to record errors / changes to Mapshare? I can't see how it can be possibly be done when driving without stopping the car and I can't see how it can be done back home on the PC .......

1) When you are stationary and in a safe area put your TomTom into "Map View" mode. Are you able find the area of the map you wish to alter on your TomTom? i.e. Do you know the location well or is it in an unfamiliar area?

2) How do you normally connect your TomTom to your computer to transfer data to it?

lundavra wrote:
...... There are two spurious 30 mph limits that I would like to remove and could find them easily on a map if they were marked .....

3) As you have mentioned Mapshare, I assume that the cameras you wish to remove are those supplied from TomTom's database? or are the spurious cameras from this web site? Please confirm this as the method of removal will differ depending upon the source of the camera POI. If they are from this web site, you may even get free lifetime membership! Very Happy

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi lundavara, just a few more questions to help us answer your problem --
lundavra wrote:
Might be a silly question but how are you supposed to record errors / changes to Mapshare? I can't see how it can be possibly be done when driving without stopping the car and I can't see how it can be done back home on the PC .......

1) When you are stationary and in a safe area put your TomTom into "Map View" mode. Are you able find the area of the map you wish to alter on your TomTom? i.e. Do you know the location well or is it in an unfamiliar area?

2) How do you normally connect your TomTom to your computer to transfer data to it?

lundavra wrote:
...... There are two spurious 30 mph limits that I would like to remove and could find them easily on a map if they were marked .....

3) As you have mentioned Mapshare, I assume that the cameras you wish to remove are those supplied from TomTom's database? or are the spurious cameras from this web site? Please confirm this as the method of removal will differ depending upon the source of the camera POI. If they are from this web site, you may even get free lifetime membership! Very Happy

Regards.

It's too messy to navigate around the screen and coule be many miles before safe to stop. It is not a high priority on a long journey so not going to happen.

I take the SD card out of the TomTom and put in the computer. I thought I might be missing some way to bring up the maps on the computer for easier editing but it seems from all the comments that there is no way.

I didn't mention cameras just two sections of main NSL road where TomTom informs me of a 30 mph limit.

MB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: