Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS to be used with Clie PEG-S320
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS to be used with Clie PEG-S320

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeetleB2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: GPS to be used with Clie PEG-S320 Reply with quote

Hi,

Just started looking into the whole GPS thing, and I'm quite lost.

I have a SONY PEG-S320.

I was wondering if I could get a Garmin GPS system that I coul duse for:

1) Geocaching
2) Street + Highway Navigation
3) Show Points of Interest

I'd prefer a GPS unit that could be used standalone, but I may waive that requirement if I can't afford it.

For connecting the GPS to the Clie, I was planning on using cables from http://pc-mobile.net/ - I hope that's OK?

I'm looking to spend no more than $150 (I live in the US) - not counting software (for maps, etc). Am I dreaming?

The number of options for GPS out there just overwhelmed me, so I thought I'd ask you for advice.

I'm also confused about compass and speed measurement. Do they all not have these? I guess speed measurement is not that interesting for me, and I could just use a normal compass, if omitting that feature could save money.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$150 is way too low if you want street navigation. Garmin or Magellan handhelds will give you map data (if you purchase the more expensive mapping GPS's) and you will also need to purchase Garmin MapSource or Magellan MapSend but this will only give you maps and not navigation.

Your best bet would be to pay a little more and either go for a GPSMap60C/60CS or go for an older Palm T2 with something like Mapopolis and a basic Garmin eTrex.
BeetleB2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The MAP60C is way beyond my budget.

I was thinking more along the lines of a basic GPS unit, with all the map/navigation being done/calculated on the Palm itself using some GPS aware software.

The Clie I have has Palm OS 4. Will that not work with Mapopolis?

Is there a way to "upgrade" my Clie to OS 5? I could not find one on the Palm OS page.

I've been browsing some of the Palm GPS aware apps, but again - it's a little overwhelming right now. Street Atlas seemed ideal, until I read all the negative reviews.

Thanks again.
BeetleB2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I took a deeper look into Mapopolis, and it seems close to perfect for my needs. Does anyone know of any drawbacks for it? The review on this site appears to be for an older version.

It does also support Palm OS 4, which is good.

So unless someone finds a flaw with my reasoning, I should be able to get all the hardware needed for $150, right? I estimate about $20-40 for the cables and possibly power solutions to connect the PDA to the GPS unit, and about a $100 for a low end GPS unit (which I'll probably buy on eBay - hopefully saving $20-30).

(The target of $150 did not mean to include the software and maps).

Now - I'm clueless on which GPS unit to buy (preferrably Garmin). Can someone point out what features may be useful? And/Or point out GPS units up to about $130 that would serve my needs?

Better yet, I'll look deeper into their GPS units, and then ask my questions when I've narrowed it down to a few.

One quick question, though. I posted www.pc-mobile.com as the means to connect the PDA to the GPS unit. Is that OK? Any better alternatives?

Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: