Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting New Tom Tom warnings to work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting New Tom Tom warnings to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Getting New Tom Tom warnings to work Reply with quote

Having owned 3 previous Tom Toms I have bought the new 740 Live. I really am finding it too complicated for easy use and to get an audible warning on the maps, well I give up. I wanted to see how good the Tom Tom warnings are for the 3 month trial but try as I may I cannot activate them. To try to contact them is virtually impossible all you get is these pre prompted written replies. I can see the file format has changed but the warnings are just so small and with no audible warnings you cannot spend time looking at the map for guidance. I have recorded the warnings but to get them to work seems to be a challenge.Any sensible advice appreciated
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To activate the TomTom Speed Camera warnings just go to

TomTom Services, TomTom Safety Cameras, Enable Alerts. Make sure it says Disbale Alerts (so you know Alerts are enabled) and then press Done.

ALso make sure you have the device up to date so you have their latest databases.
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To activate the TomTom Speed Camera warnings just go to

TomTom Services, TomTom Safety Cameras, Enable Alerts. Make sure it says Disbale Alerts (so you know Alerts are enabled) and then press Done.

ALso make sure you have the device up to date so you have their latest databases.
thanks for this, yes I have gone down this route and all the latest updates have been loaded, I have never struggled before but this has me beat, I can "test" my voice recordings recordings and they work but not when I am on the road.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing extra bits like recording your own voice, get it working with one of the default sounds to make sure that works. Better to walk before you start running. Smile

The system on the x40s is just about the same as previous TTs as far as I know. Did you have this working on previous ones or is this the time you want to check how good a new toy is?

[advert]As you're here, before you think about paying for camera alerts from TomTom, the database from here is said by many who have compared the two to be more up-to-date and more customisable. [/advert]
Brodit ProClip mount
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmartins wrote:
...... I can "test" my voice recordings recordings and they work but not when I am on the road.

Hi stmartins, How do you test your recordings? is it by simulating a route past a SafetyCam on your TT? or another method?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hi stmartins, How do you test your recordings? is it by simulating a route past a SafetyCam on your TT? or another method?"
==============================================
Only on the "test" menu after recording, thats the problem I cannot get it to work on the routes
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry
bit of both, I wanted to see how good the Tom Tom camera system is as it was "free for 3 months"
Trouble is I cannot test it. Have always used the Pocket Downloads on both previous models and with no issues and found them to be very user friendly to load .I find Tom Tom a faceless company who are living on the back of a good product but simply no "face to face " support if there is an issue. I can see me re subscribing to Pocket GPS and sod Tom Tom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike ours, you can not see or hear TT cameras unless and until you drive past one (and have I recently seen mention that they remain invisible and unheard unless you are driving at enough speed - 60% of the camera's speed limit? - don't trust that, it's memory only and although I'm only 69, I did have a memory issue yesterday).

You need to set up a demo route past somewhere where you are 100% certain TT have a camera (they don't have all the cameras we do, you know).

BUT anyway, the best words you've typed were the last sentence of the above - re-subscribe to PGPSW and never mind TomTom. The support isn't even laughably comparable, the cameras aren't comprehensive or accurate enough - the only thing TT are good at in this respect is the sales hype. I have yet to come across somebody who voluntarily dumped our cameras in favour of the TT ones!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmartins.
After you have enabled the TomTom speed cams as per PaulB2005's advice in post No.2 above, Does your TT 740 then give you the option of saving you own voice warning to assign to these camera positions? I don't think I can on my GO730 but I have deleted the TomTom icon from the menu so I can't double check.
(Sorry if this is a daft question but I am not familiar with the GO740's functions and I am just trying to get a feel of the processes you are going through)
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have hit the problem.You can save the recorded message and play in back on the "test voice" facility, but you dont seem to be able to link it anyway to the position of the camera notification.I can get the bleep & cuckoo sound but an audible warning of speed and camera is much better.I am coming to the conclusion its back to GPS pocket as they do correspond well and the forum as I am finding out is helpful
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmartin. If you do decide to re-subscirbe to PGPSW I think you will have made a wise decision. By relying solely upon TT's SafetyCam for the next three months it is possible that you would have been dissapointed and left exposed as TT's information is far from complete.

Once you have subscribed and downloaded the PGPSW database you will able to compare the TT database against the PGPSW's by having them both activaetd. I think you shall quickly realise that there is no comparison between the two and you will soon be switching TT's version off and not looking back.

Regards. AliOnHols
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of THIS in relation to my comment about 60% of speed limit above. I have to respect Mikealder's opinion in view of his careful testing.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all
Having read that others have had issues and the general principle is not to pre warn at all times I think I will be re subscribing to a system that works and is contact.

Thanks again for the pointers
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having changed from the TT speed camera database to the PGPSW speed camera database I can honestly say that the benefits of the PGSW database far outweigh the TT’s.

For one you see the PGPSW speed camera icons on the navigation map, with TT’s only when you get near.

The PGPSW icons can been seen if you browse the map or your route, not so with TT’s.

I have not yet found a fixed camera missing from PGPSW, plenty on TT’s especially the specs type which appear next to motorway roadworks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: