Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VW DVD SatNav (£1500) versus TomTom GO 740 Live (£250)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VW DVD SatNav (£1500) versus TomTom GO 740 Live (£250)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: VW DVD SatNav (£1500) versus TomTom GO 740 Live (£250) Reply with quote

The VW system is so terrible that I am thinking of turning it off for the last time and using a TomTom. (I have given full details of my complaints to VW - copy sent willingly on request - but don't expect an offer I can't refuse from them.)

The GO 740 Live seems to be the top-of-the-range (the GO 940 LIVE includes options that I will never use - or will I?).

Does anyone know of a way of building the system into the dash to make it less attractive to thieves and to use the VW speakers, VW GPS aerial etc.? Such a system would have to link to the VW radio and CD-changer.

There seem to be so many experts here that someone must have solved this problem.

Best Wishes from Hampton Wick.

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Philip, if you plan visiting North America at some point or want the mp3 music player option/ FM transmitter then I would seriously consider the 940, if these options don't seem necessary then the 740 will be fine.
As for building it in to the dash I would consider a Brodit Pro-Clip and the TomTom accessory mount for the x40 range, if you build it in too far you won't be able to turn it on or off! The accessory mount also offers additional connections for the iPOD (if required) and an audio line output.

These extra connections can be quite handy for connecting the unit to the car deck, I recently did a short write up on installing this type of holder to my car which you can locate by clicking Here for connection to the car stereo I use an iO-Play module which uses Bluetooth (no wires = less mess in the car) however to use this the car stereo needs to be equipped with the standard ISO connector block.

What is the make/ model of the stereo you have fitted in the car? for information about the iO-Play unit click Here - Mike

PS its interesting you say the VW system is terrible, it must have improved quite a lot to be rated as highly as that, from what I have tried recently from VW I wouldn't even want it in the car Wink
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mike, what a lot of information in one short reply.

I have been to the USA once. I stayed for 20 minutes, but didn't get out of the car because it was raining too heavily. (My Canadian friends were taking some parcels to the PO). I have no plans to go back.

I went to a large Halfords this afternoon (the VW SatNav announced "you have reached your destination" on the elevated dual-carriageway that runs over the store) and confirmed that the TomTom GO 740 LIVE is the one for me. It looks as though it is almost as good as the Renault Carminat I have been using for the past 5 years.

Am I right in thinking that the Brodit Pro-Clip has to be bought to fit the car and the TomTom Accessory mount to fit the 740?

The iO-Play module isn't for me; I have had the car for 3 months now and haven't bothered to find out how the radio or CD-player work The radio is on all the time, muted, but I haven't found out how you tun it off or change programme.

The stereo in the car is a standard VW DVD SatNav with a 6 CD-changer.

Would you like to read my complaint to VW? Send me your e-mail address in a PM and I will forward the whole set of e-mails so far.

Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yquem59 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the Brodit Pro-Clip has to be bought to fit the car and the TomTom Accessory mount to fit the 740?

This is correct, check out the Brodit UK distributers web site to see what options and positions for the Pro-Clip exist for your car, also consider a mini-moveit clip to attach the TomTom holder to the clip, this makes quick removal very easy leaving very little trace of a navigation device holder in the car. The UK distributor can be found by clicking Here - Mike
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struth, you are even quicker than me !

I have looked at the Brodit site and have found E-bay item 150342537055, £9 incl. P&P, not a lot of money.

But how do I decide which of the several types of bracket I want? I suppose I have to decide in advance where I want to put the TomTom.

But ..... if I site the TomTom away from the windscreen, how can it see the satellites?

The dogs are demanding their supper; you won't get anything more from me this evening.

P
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, Mike.

I can't find the mini-moveit clip. Is it a Brodit product or a TomTom product?

Thanks for the time you are putting into this.

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning, try clicking Here for the Move-It clip, it will easily hold the weight of the 740.

As for which bracket to use I would wait until you have the device (or see if Halfords will let you try one in your car - you don't need to purchase it from them) once you have the device try holding it in each of the different positions that Brodit Pro-Clips are available for your car.

Check the following:
Viewing angle from the drivers eye point - are you happy with the proposed position.
Unit doesn't cover any car controls/ switches or indications.
Remember the cables, although you can bury these behind the dash, but routing of the power lead etc should be considered - Mike
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike.

Sitting in the car this morning, I looked at the various possible positions and, yes, I really have to do it with the 740 in my hand.

I am all set up now and will just give VW a few more days to answer my complaint before buying everything.

BW

Philip
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I thought you might like an update to the VW/TomTom story.

VW skirted round the problem by saying that I should have inspected the car before I bought it, to which my reply was that I expected the DVD Navigation to be of the same quality as the rest of the car.

No offer that I couldn't refuse, not even a refund of the £160 I spent on a map because VW said the system was compatible with TMC. (I would like to take that claim to court, but haven't got the time or money.)

So I bought the TomTom GO 740 Live and all the brackets and stuff recommended in this thread. It was all easy to fit, but if doing it again, I would make one change. The Mini-move is too narrow for the TomTom bracket, so it is only fixed with 2 screws. The larger mimi-move (whatever it is called) would be better. But, so far, it is all hanging together.

I have paid for and installed the camera positions and have installed a voice for them and the icons that go with them. I do have some problems with those, but will raise them in another topic.

Thanks to the nice people here for all the advice given so freely. Usually free advice is worth what you pay for it, but that's not the case here.

BW

Philip
TomTom GO 740 LIVE, version 8.351
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try making a trip to your local Trading Standards office and see what they make of the sale of something from VW that isn't capable of doing as intended and see what they have to say about the issue. I would focus on the map update that simply isn't worth the price paid rather than anything else.

A simple letter from them can work wonders with car dealers, although at times it can lead to a prosecution (of the car dealer) which in my case is such a shame (NOT)

The Mini Move clips should be affixed with the self adhesive pad attached to the clips, although due to the recess in the back of the Brodit TomTom x40 mount this is difficult, filling the recess with epoxy adhesive to present a flat level surface once cured/ set is the best option with these accessories - Mike
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned this lesson the hard way when I burned £1500 specifying the "Highline" (BMW) satnav in my 2003 MG ZT190.

I've yet to encounter any factory fit system better than even the entry level models from TomTom and Garmin. My 740 Live works great, and offers far better functionality than the £2K system I was offered when buying my current Merc.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a new Toyota Avensis recently and to be honest the in built sat nav was very good !!
One thing that would put me buying a car with one built in is you cannot add the camera database on to these systems !
You are getting more manufacturers adding docking stations for Tomtom and Garmin sat navs as an extra to there cars I personally think this is a good selling point to new owners
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try making a trip to your local Trading Standards office and see what they make of the sale of something from VW that isn't capable of doing as intended and see what they have to say about the issue.

The Mini Move clips should be affixed with the self adhesive pad attached to the clips, although due to the recess in the back of the Brodit TomTom x40 mount this is difficult, filling the recess with epoxy adhesive to present a flat level surface once cured/ set is the best option with these accessories
It would give me a lot of pleasure to go for VW, but I just don't have the time or money. I didn't buy the car from a VW dealer and have no complaint against the guy I did buy it from.

Do you want to go for VW on my behalf, Mike?

You have described the problem with the mini-move precisely, but I did find a wider version on the Brodit site. At the moment the combination of 2 screws and that part of the adhesive pad that does touch the Brodit TomTom mount is surviving. If it fails, it will have to be Araldite to the rescue.

Philip

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: