Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 740 Prices?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 740 Prices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomorebridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: TomTom 740 Prices? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have been looking at getting this sat nav for some time, but I don't need it for a month or two. I've been watching it on amazon (uk) and the prices have been excellent they dropped to £224 at some point last week, ever since then they have been slowly rising and now they are back into the £260's/70's?

I think amazon themselves have sold out maybe and now the prices are from approved sellers but I'm not sure, is there any reason for these price increases if this is not the case, I'm a litte worried they have just gone up and won't be coming back down, can anyone shed any light?

Cheers guys, also is the time of year around with TT launch a new project line for example the x50 or something and would I be better of waiting now?

Thanks
JT
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that TomTom will soon announce another "live" series, perhaps based on the 140 functionality. To make the new devices appear to be a good deal, perhaps TomTom is raising the prices slightly to the distributors on the 740's. Just a thought. I was able to buy a North American 740 for "well under $300" US, free shipping. Had it not been for the very reasonable price, I don't think I would have considered it.
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya was hoping the new tomtom would be out soon was going to get a 540, but if a new version is due out i will waite till its out was thinking it be out about june time
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on nothing in particular, I suspect that lower prices reflected the financial climate, and the rise is probably here to stay now.

In the run up to Christmas, the GBP took a battering so prices should have gone up, but didn't to not lose sales. After Christmas, a lot of electronic items went up in price. But vendors with stock (or distributors) will want to clear their goods, so will accept less to get the money back in the bank. Apparently car manufacturers raised list prices, but increased discounts by more. The aim is to clear inventory, and then start making more per car on a smaller volume. Once inventory is down, no need to discount.

So, this could be a range of things, but the device is good, so choose a time when you think the price is fair, and buy it. There will always be something better out just after you buy, but doesn't make it a bad buy because you start to get the use immediately.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a mid-range "live" connected TomTom already acknowledged during a market call this morning, I think I'd probably wait if there's no urgent need. I wouldn't be surprised to see one announced a third cheaper than the 740, and quite soon. Of course they won't make it available here in the States till the Holiday season Rolling Eyes

With subsciption renewals running at only around 30%, IMO TomTom has lettle choice but to release a more affordable connected pnd. They've pretty much bet the farm on their subscription model. There's no way I can see them covering their substantial debts without substantial income flowing from ongoing subscriptions to services (and perhaps soon an app store?)
nomorebridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

In case in one is interested Amazon uk now is offering the 740 for £235 with a £30 pound off coupon that you can reclaim from TT once you have it.... so that's a 740 for just over £205 which sounds a pretty sweet deal to me.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotions been extended then. Funny how the 940 is only £20 cashback but the 740 is £30

See this page
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much time was there betwen the X40 being announced and it shipping.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question looking for a definitive answer from much more knowledgeable folks: Smile

My 740 should be in on Monday/Tuesday. I realize that I don't need to connect to TTHome to activate the live services. But considering that new maps are likely in the next 30-45 days (TomTom, please go to 60 day LMG like Garmin. . . fewer issues for the buyers), I assume that simply activating live services will flag TT that the clock is running on the free update if it becomes available. Am I correct? In the end, it might not matter as they requested my sales receipt to get LMG on my 930 last summer, but still curious..
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to TomTom

Quote:
Latest map guarantee means that if a newer map is released during 30 days from when you first start using your device, you’re entitled to one free map download.

so in theory you could wait a bit, however if you get problems just explain it was a present and you bought it 3 weeks before giving it...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you switch it on and get a signal then the server will know when it was first activated, from that point on the clock is ticking, whilst this might not be the ideal solution for those users that know a map update is possibly due in the next month or so I fail to see why people see this as such a problem.
The LMG is intended to let you have the latest map on the day of purchase, the fact TomTom offer 30 days is not really relevant, you have the map upgrade scheme to buy in to which will give you a very heavily discounted map purchase for the next 12 months with the latest map on the device so why not take that as a better option. I appreciate this costs more cash, but if the latest maps are such a big deal why not delay the initial purchase until you know a new map is released? - Mike
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the most cost effective way is to wait until just before your 30 day period is up, in the hope that TomTom will release a (free) update within that period.

You then leave it for just under three months before joining the map upgrade scheme to maximise your chances of getting the maximum number of updates.

You have to be a bit careful though, as TomTom insist on you having the latest update at the time you join the scheme, and if of course you are then outside your 'free' period, they will require an additional up-front payment.

That is how I understand it anyway, but I stand to be corrected! Confused
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I don't think of it as any real issue. Just curious as to when TT "sees" your new 740/940. A 3-month newer map is unlikely to be much different than the current one, but since I'm using it in a project, the more up-to-date the better. But really no big deal. A bigger "window of opportunity" would be a nice perk tho.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: