Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Developments in interface and screen over the past few years
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Developments in interface and screen over the past few years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyZoltar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Developments in interface and screen over the past few years Reply with quote

I currently own the TomTom One V2, which I got shortly after it's release. When I first got it, I though it was wonderful.

Since this time, I have owned both versions of the iPhone, and now find the TomTom somewhat annoying to use. The reasons are;

- The touch screen requires reasonable pressure to recognise a press

- The interface is slow and laggy

- Takes up to 10 minutes to find a signal (my car windscreen doesn't help)

- Screen is somewhat grainy looking

I've kept up to date with the features and suchlike of the newest TomTom models, but nowhere do I get any idea of whether the "issues" I have are resolved. I don't want to pay for a new device which has a bunch of features which, while nice to have, don't warrant a new purchase, but would be happy to pay out if the general useability is improved overall.

I'm not expecting the iPhone glossy almost HD looking display, but would like some feedback as to how things are on the likes of the 740.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the best way to check this would be to take a trip to your local Halfords or PC World and have a play with the x40 devices to see what you think.
What might be acceptable for one person could be a major issue for another so its rather difficult to comment on issues such as this - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen response is noticeably SLOWER on newer TomTom models as they try to squeeze every last bit of performance out of an ageing processor.

GPS signals should be picked up MUCH quicker then 10 minutes even on an old machine. Presume you are driving off before it finds a lock? It will be much quicker if you can wait stationary.
Between the new chipsets and the GPSQuickfix utility, you shouldn't have to wait more than a few seconds (around 10-20 max) to acquire signal lock on a recent model.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: