Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 940 screen keeps freezing when using it! help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 940 screen keeps freezing when using it! help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO 940 screen keeps freezing when using it! help Reply with quote

Hi everyone

when i use my 940, within 15 - 20 minutes, your watching the screen on your way to your chosen destination, the screen freezes and then you have to touch the screen and go back to your navigation screen again, this sorts the problem out...
anyone know WHY this happens? i came from a Garmin 765T after it kept restarting, and now this! is there any Sat Nav that works?

i have followed all the instructions that TomTom sent me here, but wheres the hole on the G0 940 where you stick a paperclip in to reset it?

it says to do this when doing a complete backup and restore through the 8 steps that Tom tom sent me on Email
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a known issue that has been reported to TomTom, as you say touching the screen seems to kick start it back in to use. I am not too sure I would bother doing any backup/ delete/ restore as all this will do is waste your time, this is a known bug, hopefully a software update in the future will resolve the issue.

To reset an x40 you have to press and hold the on/ off switch until the device re-boots, this takes between 20 and 30 seconds - there is no dedicated reset switch on the x40 units - Mike
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Damn tomtom !!
i didnt know it was a reported issue, just spent ages backing everything up, formatting, restoring etc........grrrr

thanks for your advice anyway mate
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i done a complete backup and reinstalled everything, used the 940 last night and guess what, it FROZE again!!

why cant i actually find a Sat Nav that works?
this 940 aint cheap, i came from a Garmin 765T and that kept turning itself on and off!!

how hard is it to find a sat nav that works!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this problem. Exactly the same symptoms and had it since I bought it last week. Please make sure you report this to TomTom though their support pages - I'm about to do the same now - this way the fix can get prioritised for a future firmware release.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done ALL their restore procedures and its still freezing! this thing cost me over £350!!! its disgusting
i used it going to my gig yesterday, coming from Oxford down the A34 to Newbury and then on the M4 going to Bristol, it froze 6 times!!!
on the way back home, it did NOT freeze, confused? i am!
so i have just Emailed TOMTOM again!
will await their reply, i can see what will happen...
i have lodged a complaint, they will reply and send me a box to put it in, they will have it for 2 days and then send it back and say theirs nothing wrong with it, i bet you!

i have asked for a replacement, but i bet that makes no difference whatsoever...

i don't know what else to do now, i just want a good sat nav with all the features that work!!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted at least 2 threads about the same issue in recent months with my 540.
Very frustrating, not least since it only happens intermittently but often at the same points on the same roads - you end up spending more time looking at the sat nav than the road - not good!

(Mine often freezes on the M4 Eastbound as I approach Newbury but rarely, if ever, Westbound over the same stretch. The complete opposite to you Confused )
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got exactly the response i thought i would get

thoughts?

Dear WAYNE HARRIS,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is 090306-004340.

As the steps has not solved your issue we would like to send your unit to our repair centre.

To be able to create an RMA enabling you to send your unit in for repair, it is imperative that we receive the Serial Number for your device. Please update this incident from My Questions History in your TomTom account with this information. You will find the serial number on the lower part of the device, by the bar code, when you turn it upside down.

Please do not hesitate to contact us when you have additional queries.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: when did you buy your unit ? Based on their reply, that would be grounds for refund/replacement with the retailer (inherent fault).

BTW, no reply yet to my ticket from TT - I'll let you know what they say.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 940 on the 10th December 2008 from Halfords in Oxford

i will post it to them tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've never had a freeze of the screen like that on my 740. The odd restart yes, but not a freeze. Sounds like it thinks it has an information message displayed or something, and so it stops updating. The touch then hides the message (that isn't there!) and the normal operation carries on.

I wonder if there is some sort of hint or other message that it it trying to display.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
I bought my 940 on the 10th December 2008 from Halfords in Oxford

i will post it to them tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed

Good luck and let us know the outcome - no update from TT on my ticket yet.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an Email from TomTom to say my 940 unit is on its way back from Repair Centre to my home in Oxford

it didnt say whats been done so i rang them up!
they said there WAS Corrupt Files on my 940, after they had done what they had to do, it passed their tests with flying colours, i should get it back tomorrow and will use it on my trip from Oxford to Nottingham to see IF it still Freezes, i shouldn't be pessimistic, but i have a really BAD feeling its going to do it again! Sad

will keep you posted Shocked
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning everyone

got my TomTom 940 back from the repair centre, only took them 3 days, excellent!
the good news is that yesterday i used it from Oxford to Nottingham and back again, and guess what? NO FREEZING WHATSOEVER!

TomTom flashed the OS when they had it in to their Repair Centre and all seems to be well......for now!

i will use it a few more times in the next week or two and report any "problems"
i wont hold my breath as i`m ever the Optimist! ha ha ha

speak soon Very Happy [/b]
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
NO FREEZING WHATSOEVER!

That sounds positive - let's hope it stays that way! I also got an e-mail back from TT stating it was probably a corrupt file - with instructions for doing a full clear-out and reset. As well as the freezing problem, my unit has also just spontaneously rebooted itself about 3 or 4 times (over the past 3 weeks) and they said this was probably the same issue.

I also use MP3s and quite a few extra POIs (inc PGPS speed cams which use the voice synt to make the warning, so there may be a connection with those. I'm only driving locally for the next week or so, so am going to try some eliminations first, then the full rest and if that fails too, I'll also send back to TT (or just do a swap at Comet).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: