Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps, Memory, and more Q's (TT 720)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps, Memory, and more Q's (TT 720)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Maps, Memory, and more Q's (TT 720) Reply with quote

Following the great advice here I have just bought the TT720 at a great price. I've waded my way through the initial TT home set up after making a complete backup in Win Explorer of the TT memory. I've set up the Bluetooth hands free for my less than co-operative Tytn phone without a hitch and have even added a few favourites to the TT via the google send to TT function, all in one night but...

A few Q's

Maps - I'm currently on 8.30 Core software and the map is the old V 7.15.1703 that came with the Refurbished TT. I have been offered the free upgrade via TT Home but declined so far as I was not sure when the next map is due out, any ideas?

Would you knowledgeable guy/girls advise me if it would be better to add a memory card to the TT for any specific reasons? There is precious little memory left on the TT at present and I am wondering if it's better to shift some stuff to a card but keep the WE map on the TT for faster screen updates?

Camera Database - I'm hoping that I might hit it lucky for a free membership as I submitted a new fixed camera installation that I spotted in Germany Wink If not I will subscribe but one question on the databases. If I use the Europe database does it have the same detail in the UK part as the dedicated UK database, as I will be mainly in UK but occasional business forays into NL BE and GE.

I apologize humbly if I have missed any of this in the FAQ etc. but I'm under pressure as I will be doing a lot of driving in two weeks time and want to make sure I have it all set up to the optimum and have soem tiem to test it out before the big trip.

Thanks,

Al
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can respond to the first two items:

Regarding the map upgrade. First of all, you people in Europe are lucky in that reburbished TomToms in Europe DO come with the LMG. They do NOT in North America.

As to whether you should grab the latest (825) map. You are starting to get into the window when there may indeed be another map release within the next 30 days. The ususal suggestion is to wait till about day 25 or 26 of your 30 day span (not later) and see if there is a new one. If not, bite the bullet and grab the 825 map while you can.

As far as a sdhc card for your unit. I'd say YES for sure. A 4-gig sdhc card will do nicely and free you from much aggrevation trying to make things 'fit' into internal memory.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two penny-worth....

Map: I doubt there will be a new map release in the next 30 days, but by all means wait for 25 days or so before using the latest map guarantee.

SD card: You can't just move some random "stuff" onto the card, and leave other bits on the internal memory, there's rules....
You can move *everything* onto a large card, or you can move the complete map folder onto a card.
You can also put any mp3 audio files, picture files and text files on the card (in correctly named folders). But you can't do what you suggested.

Camera database 1: Normally, you need to already be subscribed at the time you submit the new cameras, in order to be eligible for the free life subs. But I think the rules may have been relaxed for "foreign" cameras, so you could be in luck!

Camera database 2: The UK database covers ONLY all the UK cameras, and the Euro database covers ONLY mainland Europe and Ireland.
It has to be done this way as the euro categories need to be done in km/h rather than mph so the warnings work correctly.

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: 4 Gb card Reply with quote

What is the best configuration then if I use a 4 Gb card, i.e. what files are best on the TT 720 and what is best on the card?

Also do I have to config TT to tell it where to look for any files I move off the TT memory?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4gb memory card in my 720, and I only have mp3s on it. everything else stays in the internal memory. But if you purchase the East Europe or USA map and want to keep using Western Europe, you will need to put the new map on your card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

You could also put the Western Europe (or Western and Central Eurpe map on the SD card if you are getting short on space. There is no sacrifice in speed (it may even be faster with a fast SDHC card!)

Alabama978 wrote:

Also do I have to config TT to tell it where to look for any files I move off the TT memory?

No, that is all done automatically - that's why there are only certain things you can put on the card (unless you put EVERYTHING on the card).

Basically, the TT will normally boot up using the program on its internal memory and will look for voices etc. in the same place. Then it will also look for maps, text files, pictures and mp3s on the SD card (so long as they are in folders with the same names as those already on the internal memory).

But if there is a valid operating system on the SD card it will boot from that instead and will then look for its support files on the card too, before checking the internal memory for maps, texts, pictures and mp3s.
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: All much more clear Reply with quote

Thanks,

That makes much more sense and interesting that the TT is semi intelligent and looks for files in both locations. I have the Western Europe map loaded and will get a free upgrade before the time runs out. I'm guessing that I may have to make room for the upgrade somehow. I've about 160 Mb left on the internal memory after deleting a load of stuff that I'll never use like cars, voices etc..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class 6, 16GB SDHC (the higher the class number the higher the speed of the card) is what I use in a couple of the devices now, made by Peak and they work very well. If you are considering adding lots of music then the larger capacity cards are great, if all you need is some extra space then a 4GB will be fine.
The available stoage space in Flash memory is different to the RAM memory so increasing whats available for storage won't yield a performance increase from the device, the two are very seperate areas of memory, adding a storage card will only increase storage capacity and not the memory available to the processor (unless you are really on the limit and down to the last 1 or 2MB of space) - Mike
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Sd CArd Reply with quote

I tried out the music function today while I had the TT out for a proper trip. I used the FM transmitter and was very surprised by the quality through the car radio, but I expect I'll loose that on upgrade from my WE 7.15 to the latest maps Crying or Very sad I have added the latest Navcore 8.3 already and all works OK.

If I were to retain the ability to transmit mp3's to the radio then I'd buy a big card just for that function, otherwise a 4Gb will suffice.

I am wondering what will happen when I go for the free map upgrade and I have only 160 Mb left in the memory? I'll do some reading about that on the site now.

All in all I am pretty impressed having strained my old eyes on my TT version that I had running on the small screen of my Tytn Cool
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Navcore still lets you play music via the FM Tx but not the navigation instructions, so you won't lose anything for the music playback. I suspect a software update will be made at some future point to let you play the navigation instructions over FM IF you have the music playing at the same time as this wouldn't be against the EU rules.

If you have Navcore 8,300 on the device then you can still play music via FM Tx but I would check the exact version you are running, the latest is 8,302 which is considerably better than 8,300 - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I've upgraded my maps, the new one has happily overwritten the old. But others have posted that they have had to delete the old one first so it's worth just trying to download thee map first.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alabama978
Don’t worry about insufficient space on your device when it comes to upgrading your map. As Calomax has already explained the new map will replace the old map. Personally I delete the old map before I download the new map, and providing you have everything backed up nothing can really go wrong.

I have a 720 and it all works like a charm.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: