Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to display corrected speed camera using TT database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to display corrected speed camera using TT database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: How to display corrected speed camera using TT database? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a way to add/correct speed cameras to the TT database that enables you to display the new camera on your TT device?

I have a TT 520 with app 8.302, map V825.2157 and just downloaded TT speed camera 9-4-09

On the A303 just before Illminster there is a speed camera on the south carriage way. On the TT database this is shown on the North carriageway (no speed camera on this side) even though I have reported this for the past 6 months it is still shown on the wrong side of the road.

Now I know where the camera is and want to include it in my database and display it on my device however if I report it on the TT “update speed camera” it logs the location but does not show anything on screen, I guess it just reports the location to TT. As it appears they do nothing with the data I just want to update my database and *** TT.

Unfortunately I purchased the TT speed camera database before I found this one and still have 6 months left to run. Needless to say I will not be renewing the TT speed camera database.
LandRocket
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Speed Cams Reply with quote

It is my understanding that any of the speedcam databases from TomTom use an encrypted OV2 format, and for this reason are not editable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favour and get ours sooner than later. You're playing Russian roulette relying on TT's.

Drop me an email (darrenATpocketgpswoerld.com) and I'll see what I can do.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Is the novel speeling of woerld in yor emaiol addresssa deliberite ploy so htat you wo't recieve it Darron Very Happy Rolling Eyes
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder what the TT camera spotters do all day, that’s if they even exist.
The A303 camera is not exactly difficult to check. I have also reported road work cameras on the M3 which 1 month later are still missing.

Their marketing leads you to believe this database is updated weekly and sure enough I download a new file every week. But if new locations or corrected locations are still missing after several months whats the point in reporting them.

As far as I can see its money for old rope or at least old data.
Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingfuzz wrote:
As far as I can see its money for old rope or at least old data.
Crying or Very sad

That's about the size of it. Get ours, not points Very Happy
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingfuzz..........

I own the GO 520.........Stick with the pgpsw data base, as I believe from experience that its a better and more up to-date service. Like you say knowing where the cameras are and not seeing them on the device is a little disconcerting, as would be the same problem if you were to travel out of your own area, and the camera sites are not displayed?

The Tomtom camera database is not visible during map browsing or demo mode, but the pgpsw are visible. A recent short trip saw a mobile camera (seemed out of position?)so got the wife to do the settings on the screen(her turn to play with the unit)However this camera site is not visible on the Tomtom until I actually drive past that site again?

The cameras are there for a reason, and not just to catch you out..sure if you mess with your judgements, excess speed, ignore road signage/markings or just other road users then your gonna get caught.

I have been privileged enough to spend some time with a team from the Camera Partnership in my area, and believe me, they were honest and so open, that its changed my mind on how and why they operate. (DONT ASK me about the Camera setup for obvious reasons) but sat behind the camera operator, its pretty obvious to see whats set and why.

The whole session is recorded and date/time stamped. Only vehicles, who in the operators mind (and this operator was good and fast and can work traffic in both directions, so be warned)for example are at excessive speed or outwith their lane ie crossing double white lines to overtake and near a junction. So not eveyone is a target. The equipment also gives the benefit of doubt in favour or the driver, which really surprised me? If the return signal to the system is affected in anyway, the equipment records an error, and the motorist drives past ( Details were noted?) but that driver wont get a ticket.........until maybe next time??
There are several ways an error can occur, and one is by way of jamming, so be warned, your vehicle will be noted!!

But as good a driver as we all try to be, there are times when we may get it a little wrong, thats when we get caught, which is a shame, as that Camera has only caught a moment in time of your driving, maybe to just pass that slow tractor thats been holding you back for the last 3 miles, then when you see the gap you speed or cross that line and its too late.yet the rest of the day, your driving could have been good enough to pass the driving test again

Take care

......That said, just in from Work and noticed that Camera sites That I know exist and have marked on the TT520 did'nt show up on my way home today? I suppose the docking and update feature of Tomtom is to blame(updated prior to going to work last night..........Yet the other Day we marked a site which showed later that Day ) There must be a trigger point in which a camera site is reported, and then some time before its finalized for download? The pgpsw data base is good for my local area, and better on the primary routes.
Always remember, its the skill of the driver to keep your licence clean and wallet full, dont blame the technology. Example I can aim the beam of a Lite20/20 directly at my windscreen and the device has'nt activated on TWO occaissions, yet it seems to work ok out on the roads. Perhaps so close is too much and the unit just cant handle that much power. But knowing the limits of the technology and driving with some forethought and attention to detail, and we should all be ok

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: TT Data Base Camera Sites Reply with quote

I've just disabled the Report Camera option on the GO 520 as I dont use the Tomtom database anymore, so see no need for its function. Unless someone can correct me on this isssue

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas, that was an interesting read, thanks for that. Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Darren wrote:

Is the novel speeling of woerld in yor emaiol addresssa deliberite ploy so htat you wo't recieve it Darron Very Happy Rolling Eyes

ah, sorry about that typo! FlyingFuzz, offer still stands, drop me an email.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: