Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Speed camera files Reply with quote

Hi

Until now I have benn able to down load to my Tomtom a single file with all cameras. This option seems to have gone.

Which option should I now choose and will I be able to drop it staight into file as normal.

Also will I have to reset all my alarms.

Regards

Pete
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was removed because or the inherent limitation of not being able to tell the difference between actual cameras and POSSIBLE mobile sites.
One effect of this was to generate hundreds of incorrect requests to remove the apparently "wrong" cameras.

The choice of which alternative to use is down to your preference.
The "Consolidated by type" version splits the cameras up into GATSO, SPECS, MOBILE, REDLIGHT etc, so you can see what sort of camera it is going to be, while the "Speed-zoned" version splits them up in the same way but ALSO into the speed limit for each.

This means you can have on-screen AND VOICE warnings telling you what the speed limit is for each camera you pass. (There's a separate download of the voice files available from this site)

You *will* have to redo the alarms, but if you have been using the single file version, you would only have had ONE alarm set up to now, won't you?
Also, don't forget to delete the last file you installed of the old version, called "pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2" (and you may also have the provisional mobile sites file called "pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2") otherwise you will get two sets of warnings from the old AND the new files.

Finally, if you REALLY want to carry on using the single file version, it is still available if you choose .csv format when you download. You can then use a program like POI Edit (poiedit.com) to change it back to the ov2 file format you've been using upto now.

But do try one of the other versions... They're much more useful.
pvi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Camera Files Reply with quote

Hi Andy

In my folder UK and Republic of Ireland I have 126 items most seem to be pocket gps files. Do I delete all Items in the folder. If not which ones.

regards

Peter
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera Files Reply with quote

pvi wrote:
Hi Andy

In my folder UK and Republic of Ireland I have 126 items most seem to be pocket gps files. Do I delete all Items in the folder. If not which ones.

Shocked There should be a lot of files in that folder (it's your actual map after all!) but if you've been using the PGPSW single file camera database up to now, there shouldn't be more than half a dozen or so of those files.

Basically, you should delete only any files with names starting "Pocket_GPS...." and nothing else.
pvi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Camera Files Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Thanks for all your help.

I deleted all the pocket gps files and down loaded the Consolidated by type.

I can only set on distance for the alarm be it 30mph or 70 mph I don't quite see how this will work.

Regards

Peter
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For speed related warnings you need to download and install the Speed Zoned database, this offers the most comprehensive setup and whilst it takes a little longer to configure (circa 5 minutes with practice) its well worth the effort - Mike
pvi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Camera files Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks for yor help.

I have got all the files down loaded from the Speed Zoned database and what I have now seems very similar to a single file with all cameras Data Base. What is the diference and what are the Spec Cameras.

Thanks again

Regards

Peter
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

The "Consolidated by type" version splits the cameras up into GATSO, SPECS, MOBILE, REDLIGHT etc, so you can see what sort of camera it is going to be
Andy_P wrote:
while the "Speed-zoned" version splits them up in the same way but ALSO into the speed limit for each.
Smile

So you need the speed-zoned to be able to set different warnings for each speed limit.

I'm a bit confused by when you say it is very similar to the single file version. You should have Lots more files and now be able to set warning sounds and distances for each camera type and speed separately. You couldn't do that with the single file version.

SPECS cameras are the average speed set-ups often seen in motorway roadworks and on some of the M25 gantries. They measure your speed between two sets of cameras spaces some distance (often miles) apart.

In case you were wondering, a good set of distances to use for all the fixed cameras is 10 yards for every mile per hour - so for 20mph cameras use 200 yards, for 30mph cameras use 300yards, etc.

Mobile sites using radar guns can catch you over a much larger distance, so many of us tend to double the distances to 400yards for 20mph, 600yards for 30mph etc. just for the mobiles.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when you've got your speed-zoned database up and running, consider adding the voice warnings to it from THIS page
Then, instead of going "bong" it will say something like "Warning, Gatso camera, 40 miles per hour limit" as you approach
pvi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Camera Files Reply with quote

Hello Andy

I have tried the voice warnings but I find the volume level a bit on the low side compared with the other Tomtom instructions.

As I am partially deaf I find a sound easier to identify than a voice.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dont forget to keep it simple as we are not all in our teens Laughing Out Loud

Regards Peter
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volumes ARE a bit low, compared to the text to speech voices but there's not a lot we can do until Tomtom give us individual volume controls for the various audio sections. It may be worth switching to a "real" voice as the warnings match those better, or tying a different warning voice as some do "cut through" a bit better then others.

Apart from that, are you all 'up and running' with the speed zoned cameras and warnings now?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can choose voice warnings with an associated siren if you wish.
pvi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Camera Files Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Thanks for all your help.

I am up and running now with sound warnings.

I can see the advantage of verbal warnings and will consider it in the future when you get the individual volume controls.

Thanks again

regards

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: