Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's gone weird
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's gone weird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfy01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: POI's gone weird Reply with quote

Hi all

I have added a few POI's via the google map wotsit but can someone answer why some POI's on the google map are placed well (ie a Motorcycle dealer ID 173294 : not in a field but at the road side) but in the wrong place compared to when I download them to my Zumo, when they are in my Zumo they are correctly placed, so I'm now wondering if I have been putting them in the wrong places.
Can someone shed some light ?

Cheers

AL
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not quite with you...
You say you have "added a few POI's via the google map wotsit", but what device have you added them to?

And what is the "Google Maps Wotsit" anyway??? Do you mean POILoader? Laughing
wolfy01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I can make it clearer (I didnt understand it when i read it back Embarassed )

I used the submit POI button down the left hand side under Points Of Interest
which then gives you a google map to place your point, when entering a POI I noticed that a couple of POI's were missplaced on the google map so I checked them on my zumo to see if they wee missplaced on there but they were fine and in the correct place.

Hope that clears it up

AL
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us more information about which ones and where they are? If you click on a POI it'll bring up information at the top of the map

Quote:
Carshalton Beeches (Transport - Train Station) ID:191926

where ID:191926 is the POI ID

Tell us where they should be on the Google Map and i'll compare on my Nuvi.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ensuring the Marker is in the correct place on the google wotsit, if you scroll the map the marker moves out of place, I made the same mistake when first using ithe map but once you realise you get used to checking.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahhh... Light Dawns! Laughing

Now I realise (I think!) - you are talking about the "Submit POIs" map on THIS SITE Very Happy I thought you had added the POIs to your zumo via some software and Google.

Right... now we're on the same track, as Paul says, give us some eaxamples. (I'm on TomTom not Garmin, so Paul will be more help in checking, but I can check on the TT too for the hell of it.

The Submission map does take a bit of getting used to... You don't move the "pushpin" around, it always stays in the dead centre of the screen and you drag the map around underneath it.
wolfy01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With what has been said in the last couple of posts i re-installed the POI's that i had downloaded previously and they now match up to where it says they are on the submit POI map on this site, i dont know how i managed to do it before so that they were out of sync and thank you all for your replys about the point staying screen centre,

My new question now is - is it ok to change the locations of the POI's that i know are in the wrong place or will i be stepping on someones toes in doing so? and do i add the correct location of the POI then request removal of the original one ?

Cheers in advance

AL
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know they are incorrect and you know the correct location, then you should change, just input correct location references ensuring you have the correct ID, after these are submitted you will see these in opaque in new position, you do not have to request removal, this will be done when finalyy processed. again make sure pointer is correct positon
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reread your last post and appears that you may have submitted twice i.e. one incorrect amd one correct position, if that is the case then probably best to remove with note that you have resubmitted correctly.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is changing existing ones...

The instructions just below the submission map are not very useful if you want to MOVE an existing POI (rather than changing the details of it).

What you do is:

1. Find the icon on the map and left-click on it
2. Once the details have appeared JUST above the map, left-click on the ID number at the end of the row of text.
3. That should enter all the details in the boxes at the top. (It might take a few seconds and involve the screen re-drawing)
4. Next, drag the map to put the fixed cursor in the right place, AND click on "Update coordinates" which should put the new location details into the boxes.
6. Now the bit it is easy to forget! In all probability, the drop-down "Action" box will be saying "Confirm POI". You need to change that to "Change existing POI", before you finally click on "Submit entry"

Maybe the instructions need updating, as this is a different procedure to the normal "edit"?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: