Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40 active dock with ipod connector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40 active dock with ipod connector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itaylort
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: x40 active dock with ipod connector Reply with quote

Spoke to Tomtom NL yesterday and queried about the connectivity of ipod to the x40 range and they said they were going to put the active mount with the ipod socket in the box but decided that they would release it as an accessory later on.
Thats why the mount in the box has only the power connection.

Also they have not been manufactured yet so dont expect to find any in the shops.

ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This Thread where there are a number of pictures and descriptions of the accessory mount that has been for sale for a while, the direct link to the TomTom shop for the item is Here It has the Line Out socket and the iPOD/ RDS-TMC connection port on it in addition to the mini USB power/ RDS-TMC connection point - Mike
itaylort
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike,

Thats what i need
Laughing
A shame the rep i spoke to didnt know this info

Many Thanks

Ian
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the part of this active mount that fits onto the unit identical to the standard mount apart from the additional contacts? I ask as I want to dismantle it, remove the screw mounting plate and replace it with the suction plate from the original mount as this is the only way I will get a suction mount with the additional connectors.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite surprised the normal suction mount that attaches to the windscreen has never been released with the accessory connectors on it, quite a few people would go to one of these.

Inside the mount you can see the internal part of the tensioning device that applies pressure to the swivel ball, this is surrounded by lots of torx screws, I haven't tried fully taking one of these to bits as yet - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I ask as I want to dismantle it, remove the screw mounting plate and replace it with the suction plate from the original mount as this is the only way I will get a suction mount with the additional connectors.

It is possible to do this - having taken them apart they will transplant between the two different holders, quite fiddly and there is a sequence to follow in order to get them apart.

I have some pictures and text in a Word document that details how to do this - if you want a copy just let me know. I am not posting pictures of taking things to bits on the forum anymore as last year a few people broke devices by not following or understanding how to do it - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i read this right? Does the Dock (the bit the x40 unit directly connects to) not separate from the suction cup part easily?

Therefore (if i do have this right) there is no way (without Mikes instructions) to simply replace the suction cup part with the swivel ball mount that you normally screw to a Brodit Mount? (For those of use who wouldn't want the extra features of the new active dock?) (Hope that makes sense Shocked )

How good is the suction cups grip? Would it work on a vertical surface for long periods?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Do i read this right? Does the Dock (the bit the x40 unit directly connects to) not separate from the suction cup part easily?

Correct, nothing unusual in that though!
Quote:
Therefore (if i do have this right) there is no way (without Mikes instructions) to simply replace the suction cup part with the swivel ball mount that you normally screw to a Brodit Mount? (For those of use who wouldn't want the extra features of the new active dock?) (Hope that makes sense Shocked )

Also correct, hence the availability of an alternative mount from TT that CAN be so affixed to a Brodit ProClip.
Quote:
How good is the suction cups grip? Would it work on a vertical surface for long periods?

Dunno, I use mine with a dash disc, not come unstuck once <yet> but I'm holding out for Carcomm's x40 cradle!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correct, nothing unusual in that though!

Hmmm, not so with Garmin though. Just removed suction cup from back of dock type thing and used one of "Mr Gs's Custom Made Balls" on an M6 bolt to attach to Brodit Mount. Saved about £20 on buying the screw on bit.

Quote:
Also correct, hence the availability of an alternative mount from TT that CAN be so affixed to a Brodit ProClip.

But it would have been nice to have the option to just buy the bit you need. Ah well...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x40 mount is the best holder produced by TomTom as yet IMHO mine has never fallen off the screen and is very simple to dock the device, even removal of the unit is very easy. Not being able to change the suction cup is not something I see as an issue, if it fails in the first 12 months its a warranty issue, after that you can purchase spare mounts in way of accessory units. It does stick like a limpet on any smooth surface, even putting it down on a table will cause difficulty in picking it up again and that's without locking the ring down!

The reason I decided not to ut a 'how to take it apart' write up is stated above, these mounts do contain a PCB which is populated with surface mount devices, its not difficult to take apart BUT not everyone will have the necessary skills to do this without breaking the holder. I will e-mail it to anyone that wants it, but this might discourage some from taking the unit apart in the first place and breaking it.

I would hope TomTom can introduce a windscreen mount complete with the extra sockets fitted as there is a market for such a unit. The current option to tear apart two mounts to make the one you want isn't very clever - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: