Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - dont understand why Garmin is different at planning routes!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

dont understand why Garmin is different at planning routes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: dont understand why Garmin is different at planning routes! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i did plan to keep my Garmin Nuvi 765T Sat Nav, but now im unsure, i was playing with my works TomTom GO 520 and planned 2 simple routes, both Sat Navs were set to PLAN FASTEST ROUTE

i was going from OX33 1PJ to SE14 6JP

to my mind, the TomTom chooses the most direct route and avoids the London Congestion charge, the Garmin doesnt and takes me into London and through The Strand etc!
i have made sure i have tolls avoided on its navigation menu

the Tomtom takes me on the M40 and then onto M25, then onto the M4 and into london that way, it avoids the congestion charge aswell

another route was from OX33 1PJ to SA33AY
again the Garmin takes me the most bizarre route, onto the A420 to Swindon and then onto the M4 and onward to Swansea

the tomtom takes me down the A34 and on to the M4 that way, this of course would be the most direct route,
even though i have Garmin set to FASTEST ROUTE, it picks stupid instructions compared to the tomtom,
the only downside is that Garmin finds several addresses in the UK and Southern Ireland that Tomtom doesnt even think exist!

i also planned a route to Luton on the tomtom and it said to go up the M40 from my house in Oxford and then onto the M25 and then onto the M1 and into Luton, the Garmin says to go from Oxford, then into Aylesbury and then into Luton from there, it always seems to avoid some parts of vital motorways and takes me on bloody A or B Roads,am i doing something wrong? Laughing Out Loud

im so confused about which unit to have now
i can take the 765T back to Halfords and exchange it for the 730T or 740T
i guess both makes and models have their downsides, but TomTom always picks the best routes i reckon?

what do you all think to the above and do any of you have any good and bad points about both makes with routes that some of you have planned?

many thanks
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that sometimes the route we think makes no sense turns out to be the faster one. I get the same comments at another site, sometimes from TomTom owners complaining about an "idiotic" route, sometimes Garmin, others as well. Until you try the route, you can never be sure.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: