Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator on new HTC Touch Pro (upg from HP 6915)??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator on new HTC Touch Pro (upg from HP 6915)??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Navigator on new HTC Touch Pro (upg from HP 6915)?? Reply with quote

Hi
I've just upgraded my HP 6915 phone to an HTC Touch Pro. The 6915 had TomTom built in and I've been using maps for Europe DVD.
My new device doesn't have TomTom built in (just crappy Google Maps). How do I get TomTom on this new device?
I phoned TomTom and they didn't seem to know. What I really need is Navigator 6 - but you can't download that as far as I can tell without purchasing maps which I already have!!?
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Gidon
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the same way as the touch Diamond. Google for 'TomTom Diamond Legally' - there may be more specific advice in the Raphael section of the same site that you find.

I now have TT7 running on my Diamond but did pay for new maps. Your TT6 maps might not be suitable.

Edit: You might be able to get a version of TT6 that works with an internal GPS here from TomTom themselves: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6736&Lid=1

Your device is VGA though and the devices listed are QVGA. Other than possible display resolution issues it should work fine.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment there is no legal way of getting TTN7 onto a UK phone or PDA. It has only been made available on certain contract phones in Germany and maybe Holland. And contrary to popular belief the EULA prevents you copying the software as well as the maps onto other devices (or at least mine does) . Having said that if you do then TT will happily sell you the maps and allow them to be installed via Home.

However TT6 works well on my HTC Touch Diamond, and I guess that would be the same for the Pro - although you will never get TT "Support" to confirm that. So you may be able (legally) to move your TT6 from your Ipaq to the HTC. If it came as separate software then you are allowed to swap once every 6 months and TT code will issue you with a new code for the new device - that is what happened with mine. Of course you have to stop using it on your old device. Or you can buy it complete with maps from TT's website.

The VGA screen does mean that the detail is quite small, but I find it is fine now in 3D view, which I never used to use because it was too big!
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much both of you.
TomTom don't make it easy. I spoke with their support and they were next to useless.
I tried both methods suggested - could get both apps running on the Touch Pro (TTN7 and TTN6) but couldn't get my maps working. With TTN6 I think it's because my Western Europe Maps are "add on maps" - therefore need an activated map installed. On my Ipaq - the Navigator downloaded a free city map on start up - so add on maps were ok. But that free map isn't recognised on the Touch Pro. With TTN7 - it offers to download the same free map and this works fine. But then my 650 maps aren't recognised under TTN7!!! Frustrating.
Tempted to go with CoPilot which is supported on the Touch Pro and gets good reviews.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Gidon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator 7 is now listed in the TomTom Map shop but only for specific devices:

O2 XDA Diamond
VodaFone HTC Touch Diamond
ERA MDA Compact IV (I assume this to be T-Mobile??)

Only certain maps are listed:
Western & Cenrtal Europe v725 £74:95 (1191,4MB)
Western Europe v725 £59:95 (854,3MB)
Eastern Europe v725 £59:95 (678,4MB)
Southern Africa v720 £59:945 (72,2MB)
Australia v720 £69:95 (107,7MB)
New Zealand v725 £69:95 (26,3MB)
HongKong v725 £29:95 (2MB)
Singapore v725 £29,95 (1,4MB)
Turkey v725 £39:95 (28,7MB)

Mike
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for and installed Western Europe. Download and install took hours and hours but it did work.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well have gone for McGuider - had a £10 off voucher for Expansys so got it for £32 inc P&P - inc maps for whole of Europe! Will let you know how I get on if you like.
Cheers
Gidon
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

TTN7 maps have been available for some time for purchase - all they have done is increase the number - until recently only Western Europe was available. Unfortunately as far as I can see these do not include the software and TT are still not selling the software (or making it available) except on the few contract phones we have discussed.

the three listed devices are those that TTN7 has been loaded on in other parts of Europe/world - again that is exactly as it was about 3 weeks ago. My guess is that these contract phones that do have TTN7 pre-loaded onto only have local maps and this is TT's way of selling the full monty to them.

Of course, typical TT, this is not limited, so, as others have reported, once you have "borrowed" the TTN7 software you can legitimately pay for and down load the maps. Marvelous way of actually condoning, if not encouraging, software piracy eh??
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigator on new HTC Touch Pro (upg from HP 6915)?? Reply with quote

gidon wrote:
Hi
I've just upgraded my HP 6915 phone to an HTC Touch Pro. The 6915 had TomTom built in and I've been using maps for Europe DVD.
My new device doesn't have TomTom built in (just crappy Google Maps). How do I get TomTom on this new device?
I phoned TomTom and they didn't seem to know. What I really need is Navigator 6 - but you can't download that as far as I can tell without purchasing maps which I already have!!?
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Gidon

Can I ask...upgraded through your provider...(in which case, who?), or a direct HTC (or distributer) purchase ? (As I'm after one too!)
gidon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased from Clove directly.
Cheers
Gidon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: