Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom features problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom features problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gldavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: New TomTom features problem Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have used a TT300 since they came out very successfully with a built in car unit so it will come on with the ignition and follow me (without a route entered) and notify me of any speed camers etc, Great.

Now I have obtained a newer car that has sat-nav in it a VW, but like most of this type they are quite useless. So my idea was to get a new TomTom put in the up to date database and just announce the cameras etc, the problem is that as far as I can find out there are not any car kits available any more and when used with the cigar charger they do not turn on by themselves. As I am putting this under a flap I dont wont to have to fiddle with it every time I get in the car. Can enyone suggest a way round this problem please.

Thanks a lot. Rolling Eyes

Len
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but it is not possible to auto power on any of the newer TomTom devices, they will auto off after a ten second delay though.
The Car Connect for the new devices was advertised on the TT web site for a while but it was never sold, and never released AFAIK so there is no option to use that with the newer units either - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len and Mike,

Umm, not sure if i am reading this correctly or not..?

Are you saying that if Len got an updated Tomtom - say a 720, he could not use it wired up to the battery on his new car?
If so, are you suggesting it cannot be done because of the fitments which the new car has, or the new Tomtom comes with?

From my own experience of having the TT700, I always had this wired upto the battery - by using the ciglighter which come with it.

When i bought my T720 on this day 1 year ago, i swapped over the lead, which then ran my new T720 no problem connected to the battery.
I sent my T720 back as it was rubbish, - somehow the lead didnt go back...
that same lead now runs my XDA with power no problem!

Im now just trying to think to myself, if i did swap my car, or get a T930 etc will it still work then???

Cheers

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there isn't a problem powering the device from the vehicle UT you will not get it to auto power on.
The Car Connect device was supposed to be a box that connected to the TomTom via Bluetooth and played music/ instructions through the car stereo whilst offering auto day/ night switching of the display if connected to the vehicles headlights, perhaps it would have done more had it been released - Mike
gldavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again guys,

Thanks for the promp replies, do any of the other makes have this facility although I would need them to take the camera database and of course announce the POI's

Thanks again,

Len

P.S. it seems rediculus that I have to take out a 3 year old device thats better than the latest one???.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must remember that in the last few years, thefts of satnavs from cars has gone up. The manufacturers are trying to stem this is by making it less desirable to leave the unit in the car - one of which is to not have it turn on automatically.

Though your plan is to hide it away, you are in a very small minority - the manufacturers are out to stop the majority leaving it in the car. As with all changes like this, someone suffers.

Why do you want a new unit anyway? You can load the latest map onto the 300 along with the camera database. It's not like you want to use any of the new functions of the newer units.
Brodit ProClip mount
gldavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to leave the old one built in the old car and get a widescreen slim type, its quite a job to strip out the car electrics to remove it.

Len
gldavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an email to complain to TomTom direct and got this reply saying that it would turn on at power up. Could I have any comments from you guys please.

Subject
Hi, I have had a TTgo300 for years now and have it fitted in my car permanant...

Discussion Thread
Response (Sergei U. (UK)) 04/08/2008 10.17 AM
Dear Mr davis,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Your reference for your query is 080801-006408.

All the devices from the GO range of models include the feature of switching on automatically when connected to the power supply. These devices include the TomTom Go 520, 720, 920, 530, 730 and the 930.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Regards from

Len
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are meaning the power On LED then they are correct as that turns on when you supply voltage to the device, to get the device to boot up (and therefore work) you MUST press the power on button - me thinks you have been told some duff information (not rare though sadly) - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE reply and ask them exactly HOW to enable this. We would love to hear their reply.

As mike says, sounds like complete baloney to me.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They forgot to insert the Dalek saying "Support questions are monitored and recorded for training purposes"!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gldavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for a laugh I paste all the replies etc from TomTom TECHNICAL!!!!.

Subject
Hi, I have had a TTgo300 for years now and have it fitted in my car permanant...

Discussion Thread
Response (Sergei U. (UK)) 05/08/2008 04.30 PM
Dear Mr davis,

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding this feature in our device software.

At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line team, Product Management and Marketing Team.

With Best Regards,

Customer (len davis) 05/08/2008 04.03 PM
Your reply was not slightly wrong it was in fact 100% wrong.!!!!!!

Is it likely that this needed feature is going to be reinstated in the firmware soon or do I need to purchase a Garmin sat-nav.

Len Davis
Response (Sergei U. (UK)) 05/08/2008 11.22 AM
Dear Mr davis,

We have confirmed this information with our 2nd Line support, and indeed the information supplied to you in our first email was slightly incorrect.

All of the current range devices include the feature to "Switch off when disconnected from the power supply", but not the other way around. This feature to switch ON when connected to the mains power was included in some of the previous versions of the software on some older devices, but has now been removed from the application.

With Best Regards

Customer (len davis) 04/08/2008 06.00 PM
I have sent your answer to GPSWorld forum and got the following reply, could you please comment before I waste my hard eart money.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they are meaning the power On LED then they are correct as that turns on when you supply voltage to the device, to get the device to boot up (and therefore work) you MUST press the power on button - me thinks you have been told some duff information (not rare though sadly) - Mike _________________ New toy soon - ByeBye HTC.......

Regards from

Len Davis
Response (Sergei U. (UK)) 04/08/2008 10.17 AM
Dear Mr davis,

All the devices from the GO range of models include the feature of switching on automatically when connected to the power supply. These devices include the TomTom Go 520, 720, 920, 530, 730 and the 930.

With Best Regards

P.S. it looks like the Garmin range will auto power on.

Len

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: