Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO920 TomTom Camera Silent Alert Now - Why
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO920 TomTom Camera Silent Alert Now - Why

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: GO920 TomTom Camera Silent Alert Now - Why Reply with quote

I've noticed a bit of a strange problem with the GO920T I've been using.
It's running version 8 Navcore and I recently added some voice alert files for speed cameras in the UK (the "Liz" voice camera alerts - sent to me by Mike A). The voices seem to work fine and are really spot on whilst driving in the UK.
The problem I noticed was when driving around Holland over the last couple of weeks. The TomTom cameras come up on the screen with the flashing logo in the top left corner and the distance countdown but there's no audible alert now!!
I can't find anything on the GO920 menus that needs to be set in order for the audible alerts to be set. I still get the beeping alerts when I get close to any PGPSW cameras that come up whilst out of the UK.

I'm a bit confused, does anyone have any ideas what to check ?

Cheers

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OGG files are associated to a specific POI file, if this is the UK PGPSW speed camera file(s) then the 920 will only alert using the spoken files when it encounters a PGPSW speed camera.
In Holland it will not discover any UK based speed cameras so it might pop a warning up on the screen but you won't get the spoken audio alarm.

I am not too sure if it is even possible for the TT speed camera database to use OGG files, as I don't use their database other than for light entertainment when really bored - Mike
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I hadn't realised that loading the ogg files for the UK cameras would cause a problem with other cameras.
Can I assume from what you've just said that because I added the ogg files for the UK pocket GPS camera POI files, I no longer get alert when a TomTom camera from their database is approached ?
I agree that the UK cameras in their database is rubbish compared to the PGPSW ones but there are still areas in Holland where the only camera indications that flash up are from the TT database (sorry, should have paid more attention and logged them all Question ).

Also, I was wondering, do we have "Liz" type voise files for the KM based cameras abroad now ?

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing and configuring the OGG files doesn't present a problem at all for any other POI file on the device.

You will still get alerts for the TomTom cameras IF you have configured them, each POI file is a stand alone entity and requires any warning to be set up - this is done from the PLUS menu options in the case of the TT database IIRC.

The revised Liz warning pack is on the list of "things to do" but I am not aware of the current status of this job, Liz is a full time Radio DJ and is giving up her own time to record these, a little more patience will be needed I am afraid - Mike
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for the pointer. I've managed to find a "Change Warning Preferences" button on the "TomTom Safety Cameras" page (didn't see this before) This looks like the way to set alert tones for the TT cameras. I'm pretty sure these were set OK before but I guess something may have got upset during the V8 navcore upgrade. I've tried changing the voice settings so I'll have to wait and see if this fixes the issue now.

I hope Liz is inspired by our positive feedback on the camera voice warnings she recorded, they were definitely to my liking and I'll wait patiently for the alerts for the other cameras. Very Happy

Gav

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the "Kate" voices for the european database and I find them very good. they are far less strident than the "Liz" voices I used last time I was in the UK. I found them so annoying that I ended up turning them off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: