Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav for UK and US
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav for UK and US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m_thomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav for UK and US Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a newb to the world of Sat Nav, and have been interesting in getting one for here in the UK for a while without ever pursuing it. However, I'm due to go on a road trip to the States in Sept and thought that if I got one now then it would be handy for over there too. I've driven before in the States, and although I've never had an accident, it can be pretty stressful in getting from A to B, mainly because I'm always shouting at my passenger/navigator for sending me in the wrong direction.

I've had a brief look at the market and I'm looking to pay anything upto about £175, but obviously the cheaper the better.

In terms of what features I would require, it would simply be the ability to get me from A to B effectively and reliably. Points of Interest would be nice too as would speed cameras for here in the UK. Anything else, and I'm not really an expert on Sat Nav functionality, might be nice but inessential.

So far though, the only Sat Nav device I have found is the Garmin Nuvi 270. This comes with Amercian maps pre-loaded which is a bonus.

The other option is to buy a device without pre-loaded maps and buy them separately. I've seen that Amazon have the Tom Tom One v3 for £95 and was wondering how much US maps would cost to be loaded onto that? Would that be cheaper?

Also advice around which would be the best, for using here and abroad, to go for out of those would be really appreciated? But, if there's any better devices out there some pointers on those would be great too....

I know this might be a tired topic, but I've done a few searches and could not find anyone who was new to the Sat Nav world AND cover off the UK and the US with their first foray.

Hope you can help.

Mark
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA map from Tomtom is £30 at the moment. The Tomtom ONE is as good as any other satnav but without the bells and whistles. The only disadvantage is that you will have to buy the European version of the TT ONE because that has 1Gb of internal memory(UK version only has 512mb) and the USA map is 800mb, so you will have to unload the Europe map to put the USA map on, takes about 45minutes. Easier if you get a satnav with a SD card slot like the TT ONE version 2, it makes putting extra maps on much quicker but both options put you in the same price bracket as the NUVI 270. The advantage of the Tomtom is that they will be more upto date maps.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/index.php?Lid=1
m_thomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
The USA map from Tomtom is £30 at the moment. The Tomtom ONE is as good as any other satnav but without the bells and whistles. The only disadvantage is that you will have to buy the European version of the TT ONE because that has 1Gb of internal memory(UK version only has 512mb) and the USA map is 800mb, so you will have to unload the Europe map to put the USA map on, takes about 45minutes. Easier if you get a satnav with a SD card slot like the TT ONE version 2, it makes putting extra maps on much quicker but both options put you in the same price bracket as the NUVI 270. The advantage of the Tomtom is that they will be more upto date maps.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/index.php?Lid=1

Thanks Portman. It sounds as though there are three options:

1) Buy the Nuvi 270 - the maps on this could be out of date. Do Garmin regularly update their maps? Has anyone had any experience of the 270? I'm interested in terms of reliability and accuracy. Also, is it true that the Points of Interest database on Garmin is better than Tom Tom for the States. The Nuvi is about £179.

2) Buy a Tom Tom ONE V2 and the North America Map from Tom Tom. And load US maps onto SD card. I know the North America map is supposed to be the best/most accurate and is currently priced at £30ish. The problem here is that I've tried looking for ONE V2's and the only place is eBay and shipped over from Germany - I really don't feel comfortable about this. Are there any other suppliers?

3) Buy a Tom Tom GO 520. This has an SD card slot and would provide me with having the North American map available on the SD card. The problem with this is that the 520 costs £155ish, then there's the cost of a SD card, and the actual map itself. All in all this would bust the £200 limit, and be more expensive than the Nuvi 270.

I would go for the Nuvi providing I had some confidence of its accuracy/reliability. I've tried doing some searches for reviews, but they are impossibly hard to find, and also I'd feel a little bit exposed that I get the impression that it's not that well supported by Garmin, or that it might be discountinued - it's difficult to find a supplier for also.

The next best option would be the Tom Tom ONE V2. Again this is problematic because it's no longer available.

The fallback would be the 520 option. This is not ideal as it's the most expensive, but if needs must....

Outside of these options are their any other alternatives? Regardless of price (to an extent) are there any other solutions that would offer the map coverage I'm looking for? From the research I've done this all seems to revolve around the memory issue, either the internal memory is too small, or additional memory through SD is no longer what the Sat Nav companies provide the functionality for at the budget level.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the One Third Edition Europe version, you can copy the Europe map to the PC then remove it from the device, install the US map for your trip then replace it with the Euro map on return? or see if you can locate a One XL which does have the SD slot - Mike
m_thomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
or see if you can locate a One XL which does have the SD slot - Mike

Thanks Mike! I didn't know that the XL's had an SD slot. I think this is just the answer I was looking for. It could save me a few £'s too.

Is there any noticeable difference between an One XL and a GO 520 in terms of performance? The GO is £15 more expensive than the ONE which I would be happy to pay if it meant that as a device it was more accurate and reliable.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add further confusion the new One XL doesn't have an SD slot but the old ones did have, the new ones have a different mounting system and are often refered to as ONE XL 22 or One XL 30 (I think).

The 520 offers far greater capability than the Oe range, you get the mp3 player, handsfree for the mobile phone as for reliabilty I doubt there is any difference though. The x20 can use both internal memory and SD card at the same time which does make life easier when porting a different map to the device - Mike
m_thomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. The ones I have found are the Tomtom ONE XL V1 Great Britain for £147 - this is described as having an SD slot. So this (hopefully) fits the bill.

And the TomTom Go 520 with UK & Ireland Mapping for £164.

I'm a bit confused by you mentioning x20. Was this a typo and you meant the 520 or did you mean as part of the new ONE XL range?

I hope it's the former as then I think my mind's made up.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_thomp wrote:

I'm a bit confused by you mentioning x20. Was this a typo and you meant the 520 or did you mean as part of the new ONE XL range?

Neither really... Very Happy , we tend to use "x20" as a sort of shorthand to mean ANY model in the "20 series" - the 520,720 or 920.

but in this case the intention is as you thought - the 520 sounds like the best deal. You won't be disappointed!
m_thomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I went for the GO 520 in the end, along with a 4gb SD card to put my North American map on.

Another dumb question from a Sat Nav novice: if I get the North Amercian map, download it, store it on my SD card. How will I know that the map works unless I'm actually in America at the time with the device switched on? What I mean to say, is there anyway I can check to make sure it is working, and will work, before I'm actually in America?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to change preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Map and select the USA map from the presented list.
If you fully update the device to the version 8,010 software once you get it as soon as the device achieves a GPS position fix in the USA it will pop up a warning message that you have the wrong map selected and offer to alter it to the correct one - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can go to change preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Map and select the USA map from the presented list.

And even without a GPS "fix" you can use the 'A-B Prepare route' on menu page 2 to plot a route from anywhere to anywhere on the US map.
You can then use the "Demo" function (in "Details" on the first screen you get once it has plotted the route) to get an animated view of the drive.
m_thomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

That certainly makes sense and is quite reassuring.

My device hasn't yet arrived, but I have been trawling round your forums to get some key tips on what to do and what not to do for when I eventually get my hands on it.

So far I know that when I get my 520 the first thing to do is back up the files onto my computer.

Also I've heard that I should try and avoid using the the Tomtom HOME system (I don't know why but everyone seems to say this).

However, as I will be getting the North American map I had a quick look at how I would receive this on the Tomtom site. The instructions were that this available through download and that I would need to access HOME to do it. Is there a way this can be achieved without using home?

Are there any other DO's and DON'Ts to bear in mind when getting a Sat Nav device or a Tomtom in particular?

The things that are springing to mind at the moment are:

How good are the UK maps that come with the device initially? Will I need to update them straight away? I've read that maps for Tomtom devices higher up in the range that include Advance lane guidance and IQ route planning work on a 520 also. Would it be wise to get these?

What is Navcore?

I would like to include quite a few Points of Interest. Do these take up much memory?

How do I receive map updates without using Tomtom HOME?

Any other top tips you've got would be most gratefully received.

Mark
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_thomp wrote:

Also I've heard that I should try and avoid using the the Tomtom HOME system (I don't know why but everyone seems to say this).

You need to use Home for installing maps (it's how they "key" the map to your own device) and also for getting software and map updates. Everything else it does can be done just as well if not better with normal copy and paste techniques.
The reason we hate it so much is that it has a history of producing un-readable backups and even in its latest incarnation it overwrites your previous backup with the new one, which can be disastrous if you later find you don't like the new one after all!

Quote:
However, as I will be getting the North American map I had a quick look at how I would receive this on the Tomtom site. The instructions were that this available through download and that I would need to access HOME to do it. Is there a way this can be achieved without using home?

No, as above , you need Home for maps.

Quote:

How good are the UK maps that come with the device initially? Will I need to update them straight away?

Pretty good. If you remember that NO electronic map is fully up to date, you'll be OK. Each map update will have hundreds of corrections but you probably will never notice 99% of them. If YOUR street isn't on one version and it is on another, then it makes sense to update, and you'd be silly not to take advantage of any free latest map guarantee, but I certainly wouldn't spend any money for a year or two.

Quote:
I've read that maps for Tomtom devices higher up in the range that include Advance lane guidance and IQ route planning work on a 520 also. Would it be wise to get these?

You can get them by fooling the TT website that you have a different machine, and they DO work fine, but there's no backup from TT if it all goes wrong. The "official ones for the x20 models will probably be out in August

Quote:
What is Navcore?

TomTom's flash name for the operating system. So 'Navcore 7' is any one of the various v7 software versions.

Quote:
I would like to include quite a few Points of Interest. Do these take up much memory?

No, usually very small. The entire PGPSW speed cam database only takes up about 1/2 Meg. Be aware you have a limit of about 130-190 POI category files you can add. The number of actual POIs in each file can run into thousands.

Quote:
How do I receive map updates without using Tomtom HOME?

You don't, see above

Quote:
Any other top tips you've got would be most gratefully received.

Err... read the TomTom section, especially the FAQs! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: