Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT930T File access error.... HELP!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT930T File access error.... HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: TT930T File access error.... HELP! Reply with quote

Hi first time post (and possibly long due to a little venting sorry!)

Just thought I'd share my experience with my new 930T so far.... Been waiting ages to get a tomtom and have to admit the 930 caught my eye and the deal was done.... Until I got it home!.....

Not being completely savvy on the newer TT's (mainly an old PDA user and borrowed my brothers ONE when I needed to go somewhere! Smile ) followed most of the install by the book.. Ripped off home.. installed a fresh.. did a backup (via Home.. I know know!!! slaps wrist!) and then did all the updates (app & maps)... Ok so far looking good!....

Took it all out for a spin having a fun time no issues to report iternary function working great!... Till the journey home, had already paired my phone (K850 which I know isn't on the list Sad grrr) and had worked fine earlier making and receiving calls and txts.. Called out and it rung... then threw a wobbler and got the ring "noise" looped, uhoh.. Wouldn't respond to the screen, turning it off required holding down the power until eventually it gave up and rebooted...

Now the fun begins!... Took ages to come back up but seemed fine and picked up where it had left off navigating.. Great ok just a blip then "Unable to save settings File access error" ! It carried on working till we got home (but phone/bluetooth seemed to work oddly) had a quick look when I got back found about the issue and decided to try TT for help..

Called.. Spoke to a nice chap there (Martin) who took me through the expected procedure (had chance to read up by then).. Appeared to work.. Great off to work.... 15mins into the journey and the dreaded msg was back.. DAMN!...

Called TT today spoke to a very helpful lady (sorry didn't catch your name) who took me through the clear flash procedure again and then onto doing a factory reset, then a paperclip reset.... Nope still doing it... Return to supplier she advises DAMN!... Anyway being a stubborn IT spod I wasn't easily defeated so finished work packed the kids off to bed and had another try... Hmmm Success!... But unfortunetly shortlived.. While out for a test run the error popped up again this time only briefly (unlike previous where it just stayed on display till power down)....

So I'm guessing the lady from TT was right? Send it back (I know new one shouldn't break to send it back on principle etc etc) or is it just a software glitch that could be fixed? (Like I don't put up with enough software features from MS these days ;))

Any advice gladly received

Appologies for the rambling!! Rob
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why TT (and all the others) have to put phones and transmitters and music players and God knows what else they will think of. I firmly believe that I bought a SatNav, so that is what I use it for, nothing else!
My wife wanted a washing machine with a built in drier, but I asked her how she was going to wash the clothes if the drier was broken??
I have already asked TomTom to bring out a good basic SatNav with no add ons, but I doubt if they will listen.....
Anyway, this isn't the answer that you wanted from me, so I'll get off my soapbox and let someone helpful speak. Very Happy

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

In a sense I do agree with you.... 1 item, 1 job.. BUT looking at it from a convenience view I see why they've done it the way they have as I hated setting up the car before setting off on a "trip" (not talking about trips to the shops or going to work here mind) plugging in and setting up the satnav, setup the phone cradle, plug in the ipod dock and finally the V1 radar detector...

Horses for courses I guess and although I'm disappointed the 930 has an issue i'm not put off and will look forward to either a fix or it's replacement..

Rob
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Western and Central Europe Map folder and locate the Map_Settings.cfg file and delete it using Windows Explorer, you will lose any POI settings, Home locations and favourites as a consequence, the device will re-create the file when you boot it up post disconnection from the PC.

If you want a really basic nav unit runnig TomTom consider the TomTom One Third Edition, no bluetooth, no phone capability, no outside world connections to be honest and no mp3 support etc - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother taking it back and swapping it as it is not a hardware issue - it is a software one.

I had to delete a file in the gns folder I think to cure mine - I will look on the device later and let youknow what it was. Again, this is a file that gets recreated on a reboot so it doesn't do any harm.

This is not an uncommon problem - I have had it half a dozen times and it always seems to be when using the handsfree and the RDS-TMC at the same time.

So much so, I have now given up on the TT as a handsfree device and am going to buy a head unit with good handsfree capabilities such as voice tags and phonebook auto sync etc.

Andy
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy...

Bingo! Give that chap the gold star!! It did crash while the TMC was on and trying to do handsfree... I'll be calling TT on monday and letting them know 1: the exact fault 2: the fix..

The file is the "GNSDATA" file in the GNS folder. I'd been thinking something was wrong with it when I tried to do a 2nd backup (at TT's request while trying to fault find it) when you try to backup with that file/folder included windows throws a wobbler and refuses.

Unfortunetly I couldn't delete it (file locked but was being lazy today I know I could have used any number of my work tools...) so instead as I was thinking "it's going back anyway" I took the ultimate big hammer to it and reformatted the drive.. Dragged across the backup I'd done with TT Home, one reboot later... TADA! Working 930 again!

Ho hum yes it's an issue but if thats all it takes to fix it in the future feh bit like patching up grotty xp builds ;)

Right moff to do ANOTHER backup once i've updated the maps Smile

Rob, one happy 930T (Beta) owner :D
(Would have been nice if I'd been told you get to beta test software with every purchase *cough* Smile )
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you do it with Explorer!
With Home you are only allowed to have ONE backup. Doing a new one loses the previous one. Stupid!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that was the file I had to delete.

Seems to get corrupted and Windows Explorer won't let you delete it.

I seem to remeber you could shift delete it and then if you did a refresh it was still there.

Formatting cured it for me as well - proves the importance of having a good Windows Explorer backup at regular intervals.

Glad it worked for you.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: