Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comments about the PGPSW Cam Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments about the PGPSW Cam Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Comments about the PGPSW Cam Database Reply with quote

As some of you remember I posted a couple of weeks ago commenting on the camera database available here against the TT provided one. I had commented that when I tried it before in Sept 2006 I found it bad for showing locations that were not a speed trap but were ANPR/TrafficMaster/Flashing speed signs etc.

After paying my £19 a couple of weeks back I said I would report back on what I thought of the database now.

Good Points:
-Accuracy of GATSO's/SPECS are spot on, as they were last time I tried the DB
-Good having wanings for the possible locations of Mobile cameras, TT doesnt have these, although says it does have a "live" system.
-Nice to have the BMP's show up and voice warnings etc.
-Not come across any of the locations that are in fact TrafficMaster etc, good to see that this has been dealt with.

Bad Points:
-Still some locations on there that are where police sit, no way can they be mobile camera van locations. OK, police may well be speed checking from these points but more likley to be writing up their note book. I personnaly dont think that these should be in the database, trafpol are known to park anywhere and everywhere just to look for dodgy drivers, not just speeders. These locations are likley only to be used dependant on what police are on duty, each will have their favourite spots for day and night shifts and would depend on what beat they are assigned to for that shift also.
-For some reason, some locations dont flag up on the display. Its as if they have been set too far from the road or something
-Even though I have warn if on route checked for all, a couple that are on side roads still flag up.

I am happy with it so far though, TT's is better in that if a location is in its database, it ALWAYS warns you, just not as many in their database, whereas PGPSW has more in the database but for some reason not all I have been alerted too.

I suppose the answer would be to have the warn on if on route un checked but then I could get warnings for locations that are 500 yards away on a side road. I will try this though.

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting back.
As for the outstanding "issues" the best thing you could do is to give the actual camera ID numbers so that they can be investigated further.
you can get he number by tapping the icon in the "Browse map" view.

For mobiles that you think couldn't have a van or probably are only traffic police eating their sandwiches, WHY do you think that?
With the ID number, someone with access to the original submission notes can at least see what was reported.

For fixed cameras not giving alerts, this has NEVER happened to me, Please again give us specific examples so we can try it ourselves.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, some would argue that a police car parked up observing traffic is just as likely to get you nicked as a mobile speed camera. Why shouldn't such places be in the database?
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Of course, some would argue that a police car parked up observing traffic is just as likely to get you nicked as a mobile speed camera. Why shouldn't such places be in the database?

Cos if all the places that they sat were in the database then the TT would be bing bonging every 30 seconds and then you would get imune to the warnings if that makes sense. If these locations are in, then IMO they need to be well verified (as Im sure they are) and kept to an absolute minimum.

Regarding the other points I made, I will keep an eye when Im out and about ( I do circa 1000 miles a week, mainly in Scotland) I will see if I can single out any anomalies, which hopefully will help to make the database more accurate.

And just to reiterate, I am now more than happy with the database from here compared to when I last tried it, just wished I could say the same for my TT just now..........

Steve
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cos if all the places that they sat were in the database then the TT would be bing bonging every 30 seconds and then you would get imune to the warnings if that makes sense.

Hence we are having the cull of Mobiles..... The trick is to submit Mobile everytime you see them. Those that don't get seen again will be culled after a period....

See this thread
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Cos if all the places that they sat were in the database then the TT would be bing bonging every 30 seconds and then you would get imune to the warnings if that makes sense.

Hence we are having the cull of Mobiles..... The trick is to submit Mobile everytime you see them. Those that don't get seen again will be culled after a period....

See this thread

Brilliant Idea.

Today for instance I have passed a warning for mobile@60. It was located in a gateway for a farm. There is no way on this earth that a Talivan would park there as (A) it wasnt wide enough (B) its private property and the main access for that farm. I can understand a police car sitting in their now and again, good spot to monitor the road yet be able to move if farmer giles wants in/out.

Since using the data base this last couple of weeks I have only come across 1 Talivan (reported as not in DB) but will myself report any more that I see so the DB is purged as the thread above.

Steve
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Since using the data base this last couple of weeks I have only come across 1 Talivan (reported as not in DB) but will myself report any more that I see so the DB is purged as the thread above.

1) Have you included the pMobile cameras from the database?

These are mobiles which have been reported but are still awaiting either verification or further independent submissions. Due to the very nature of mobile cameras, the process of including them in the database may be longer than for fixed cameras.

2) Report away if you find anything not currently in the database - remember there's a possibility of free lifetime subscription if your submission(s) meet the qualifying criteria.

3) If you come across a mobile camera already in the database, please report it as 'seen again' so that it doesn't fall prey of the purge.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Today for instance I have passed a warning for mobile@60. It was located in a gateway for a farm. There is no way on this earth that a Talivan would park there as (A) it wasnt wide enough (B) its private property and the main access for that farm. I can understand a police car sitting in their now and again, good spot to monitor the road yet be able to move if farmer giles wants in/out.

There is a similar site a couple of miles from my home (farm entrance). Mobile:7047@50. Next time I see it, I'll try to get you a photo. A farm gate of necessity implies "wide enough" for a Talivan - a tractor and trailer, livestock lorry, milk tanker, Farmer Giles's Landrover? And a Talivan can pull away as easily as a police car.

I have today "verified" two sites which carried similar comments - "police car". I agreed with one and rejected the other. No, I'm not calling the submitter a liar, just demonstrating that we DO check to the best of our ability - I'd venture to suggest that "our" best is somewhat better than many, due to our having been doing it seriously for as long as 18 months.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: