Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 910 Power Up Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 910 Power Up Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: GO 910 Power Up Problem Reply with quote

Hi,
Anyone able to give me some advice please ?
I have a TT 910 unit from work at the moment. Yesterday I plugged it onto the screen mount and powered it up. I noticed it was bouncing a bit during the attempt to fix position but then came up with a screen with a white cross on a red background. Since then I've been unable to power it up unless I depress the reset button underneath. I tried connecting it to my PC again but the PC doesn't recognise the USB device properly and it doesn't appear as a drive anymore.
I know it's possible to restore the program but you need to be able to see the drive in Explorer first.
I noted when I power it up connected to the PC, I get a message in the top left corner "Formatting" for about 3 mins.
Tom Tom say you need to charge the unit for 2 hours before trying to reset it. Does this actually do anything ? The unit is already charged since my previous use.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GO 910 Power Up Problem Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:

I noted when I power it up connected to the PC, I get a message in the top left corner "Formatting" for about 3 mins.

That doesn't sound good.... Shocked

When you connect the USB cable (or plug into the dock) does the TomTom screen ask if you want to connect to the computer?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charge it up over night, make sure the charge LED is illuminated but don't leave it switched on, without sufficiant power in the cells it could be the device isn't spinning the Hard Drive up. A full over night charge will make sure there is power available - Mike
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Tom Tom doesn't seem to realise that the PC is connected. I don't get the normal option to select if I want to connect to the computer or not.

Incidentally, I don't see the formatting message in the top left of the screen unless it's connected to the PC.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your PC running XP or Vista?? - Mike
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I tried first on my Desktop with XP and later on my laptop for the first time (running Win 2000). Both don't seem to recognise the 910 device but know something is connected.

This seems to be a fairly regular problem looking through various forums etc. Do the more recent versions of TT software on the 910 get round this docking/undocking problem ?

Thanks

Gavin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say your PCs "know something is connected", what do you actually get? If the PC recognises a new "mass storage device" and gives it a drive letter, that's all you need to access everything on the TT.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I connect it to my Win 2000 laptop, I don't see it appear as a drive letter as I would normally expect to see.
If I go to the Device manager and look under the USB device connection list, i get an exclamation mark in a yellow circle against one of my USB devices and the text "Unknown device"
If I pull the connection, the "unknown device" disappears from the list, my conclusion is that this must be the unknown device ?

Does anyone know why Tom Tom ask you to charge the device for 2 hours before resetting it using the paper clip trick Question Does this time get used to do something to repair the drive internally or something ??

Cheers for looking and trying to help Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, see if this TT help file has any useful suggestions:
Device not connecting to computer

It has three seperate lines of attack for

# Device not responding
You connect your device to your computer but the device does not ask if you want to connect.

# Device not recognised by HOME
TomTom HOME does not start or does not recognise your device.

# Device not recognised by computer
Your device does not appear in My Computer (Windows) or on the desktop (Macintosh).

Try the third one first.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thrid one looked the most likely.
The device manager doesn't even show the disk drive as present, I guess this is due to the fact that the USB interface is not seeing the drive connected in the first place hence it can't enable or disable it.

Right now I've had the 910 connected to the PC for about 30 minutes and the top left of the screen has been showing "formatting" for the whole of this time. The screen has the please wait hourglass splash screen and a hand with a cross through it that you noramlly see when the 910 is connected to the PC.

A bit confused !!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of this before. Obviously nothing should ever format anything without you expressly telling it to.

Is it still working as a satnav?
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formatting process seems to have been self initiated. It started doing it the first time I connected it to a PC after the pwer up fault became evident.

Physically it still looks like a Tom Tom but I suspect it's going to end up more like a cabbage !!!! Shocked

Gavin
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I managed to get the device to talk to my PC today briefly !!!! Shocked

Tom Tom Support emailed me a registry file to remove the entries associated with the 910. The device had been switched off for a couple of hours and reset and when I connected it to my PC, it recognised it, loaded the drivers and I managed to see it as a Drive on the PC.

I went through the backup procedure as advised by Tom Tom support but half way through the file copying, it seemed to lose it's marbles again.

Since then I've managed to get it to connect once but couldn't see the drive from my PC again.

Seems you have to leave the device de-powered for at least an hour before trying to connect it to the PC. Not sure what happens in that time but it seems significant.

Question

I'll try again in the morning.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention.

You need to run the registry file to remove all the previous entries first.

Then connect the Device to the USB lead etc BEFORE you switch it on.

Then sometimes it will see the drive. This is the only combination I've found that works. Even if I try this again without waiting for about 1 or 2 hours after doing the 30 second reset with paper clip (good old paper clip , always carry one with you !!!) it just come up with "formatting" in the top left of the device screen when I power it up connected to the PC.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given up trying to fix it now.
TomTom are sending me a "Body Bag" for it to be returned for a Kiss Of Life !!!

Hope the upgrade to version 7 will prevent this from happening again.

Does anyone know if V7 fixed these mount connection problems on the GO910 units ? (resetting the unit if it loses contact with the mount when driving over bumps)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: