Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Collated by Speed Limit ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Collated by Speed Limit ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huggy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Collated by Speed Limit ? Reply with quote

Idea I feel sure that this will have been mentioned before, but I'm puzzled by why the speed zoned format of the database downloads is so concentrated on the type of speed camera. Who cares what type of device it is? When I'm driving I would simply like to know where the speed cameras are (or may be in the case of mobile)and what the speed limit is.
With many devices having restricted number of POI categories available, would it not be more useful for the Speed zoned cameras to be ordered by speed limit, rather than by type then speed. I have experimented with editing the POI files and find that with including red light cameras I can comfortably work with 8 POI categories rather than about 30 in the speed zoned download. Perhaps I'm stating the blindingly obvious, but surely this would be the most user friendly format for the vast majority of drivers. Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has certainly been raised before, but I never noticed huge support for it. You've also come up with the same way of achieving it. One great advantage of the PGPSW database is that it is possible for users to do this sort of thing with it. But I think it's more a matter for individuals rather than a re-hash of the downloads - most people seem happy with the present available ones.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one problem i notice as database admin with the single file users is that they are usually the ones who send in remove requests for mobile sites saying there is no camera there... obviously the nature of the single file not giving camera type means they don't know the type of camera that is in the database so the assumption is the database has an error.

i could see a similar thing happening with a speed only version and i really can't see the benefit of such a format.

from memory this is only the 3rd request in 2 years for this format

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Unless you know what type of alert it is you cannot possibly know how to handle it. For Mobile's you need to know they are such and may not be present, for SPECS you need to know these are average speed cameras etc.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the point that most people recommend using a much greater warning distance for the mobile cameras. However, like I say, the advantage with the pgpsw database is that if it's what you want, you can do it as you please.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not want a speed zoned version of the file, I do set up different warning distances for mobiles/fixed cameras and I somehow feel more threatened by Specs cameras than fixed cameras so I like the fact that these have a different warning icon & sound.

Currently I use the fully detailed version of the data base (33 files I beleive) but I edit the temporary cameras into the relevant Gatso file. The reason for doing this is that I want the speed limit displayed/spoken for the temporary camera in the same way as a fixed camera and without the edit I just get a "Warning temporary camera ahead" with no speed indication.

This takes a matter of minutes once a fortnight and I am happy that the database allows me to customise it to my own requirements.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's one aspect of the current database format that several people DO want to change (allright, it's me mainly that keeps bringing it up!).

The Temp section is an anachronism, and the few cameras left in it should be integrated into the main sections (especially as the vast majority of "temporary" cameras are now SPECS anyway, which already get put into the SPECS categories.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: