Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Europe - Capture POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe - Capture POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickn5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Europe - Capture POI Reply with quote

I've just paid up my 19 squids as I'm taking the car further than 30 miles away for the first time this year... to the Netherlands. I have 2 questions:

1) I know both sets (UK and EUR) of PGPSW speedcam data can be put onto the device (a 720), but how would I go through the POI Warn process for the European ones? Would I have to change my device temporarily to km/hr to do it?

2) If I install CapturePOI and find a use for it - again, it looks from the screenshots as if I could only submit in miles/hr, but I would need to do it in km/hr obviously... any way round this or am I missing something? Question

Ta very much for help!

N.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There are a couple of sets of kph warning voices on the OGG Download Page. You could use them and they would work, irrespective of the setting of mph/kph on the Device. They just give a distance from POI warning, not a Speed travelling warning. Just set them up with Warn When Near as usual.

2. Unfortunately POICapture doesn't work with V7 Software.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
nickn5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer - in fact since posting I realised that setting the Warn POI's for all cameras doesnt involve actual speed - all I have to do (using the computer voice as I do) is type what I want said, i.e 30 miles or 30 kilometres and it will do the TTS for me. Of course I've had to put a Dutch computer voice (Willem) on for Netherlands as I want street names read properly...so that also means I may well have to type the camera warnings in Dutch... Shocked

Let's hope CapturePOI might be available to 720 users soon.. Very Happy

Cheers,
N.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using a TTS voice, it will probably try to say whatever you typed in it using it's own language rules - probably best to try it and see on a demo what happens before you go. Note that Willem will give all the instructions in Dutch, not just the street names.

People generally make the distance to be warned for based on the speed - ie 300yds for a 30mph camera. To give the same "distance" for the metric cameras you could just convert quickly when setting it up (eg 180yds for a 30km/h camera (18km/h = 30mph)).

I could mention that the alternative camera icons have icons that can help out with this and could be useful by showing the mph of the camera as well when driving. Wink

POIcapture is unlikely to be available as TomTom have not issued a software development kit for version 7.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

I could mention that.....

And who better to do it... Laughing
nickn5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've set the camera warnings up for Europe AND UK using Warn POI and TTS spoken alert - is there any file I ought to backup now that's done, so that Tomtom doesn't 'forget' - it was a lot of fiddly typing and I hate to think of it reverting to Beep 5 or something. Shocked

I'll use the 'Add Favorite' feature when in NL to save any cameras I might find, then I can log them on my return. And of course on my long drive to get to Harwich I may well see one or two mobiles I can re-enter...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapSettings.cfg which is located in your map folder is the one to back up as this contains all the POI alerts and the actual text for the TTS warnings - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: