Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD card without maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card without maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavalley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: SD card without maps Reply with quote

I'm a total noob, so please bear with. I bought a 2GB card for my TomTom One v.2. It was too slow (that's how much of a noob I am!). I bought another which was acceptable to the TT. Do I have to copy all of the files from the internal RAM of the TomTom onto the SD card in order to be able to save route files on the card, or can I just save the route files on the card and have everything else in internal RAM? How do I tell TomTom to access the files on the card? If I have to copy everything over, do I have to tell TomTom to look on the card rather than in internal RAM? How do I do that?

Sorry for the stupidity. I'm 70 but new to GPS.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your TomTom One supplied with a memory card fitted that containd the maps and application or was it one of the rather rare Flash memory equipped units with an SD card slot that was vacant?
What you need to do is copy everything to the card though as the device will only boot up from either the internal memory OR the SD card, you cannot store information spread across the two storage areas.
Have a look at the sticky threads in this forum index and locate the FAQ page, this details how to copy the files and folders to a new / larger memory card - Mike
lavalley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Was your TomTom One supplied with a memory card fitted that containd the maps and application or was it one of the rather rare Flash memory equipped units with an SD card slot that was vacant?
What you need to do is copy everything to the card though as the device will only boot up from either the internal memory OR the SD card, you cannot store information spread across the two storage areas.
Have a look at the sticky threads in this forum index and locate the FAQ page, this details how to copy the files and folders to a new / larger memory card - Mike

It was (I gather) "Flash memory equipped" as it came with a vacant SD card slot.

I did a backup (following the instructions in the sticky), so I guess I can just copy all the files to the SD card and proceed.

Thank you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have quite a rare device as these weren’t on sale for very long and were probably the best TomTom One produced. Doesn't this unit also have the RDS-TMC connector on the base plate?

You should copy the backup to the new SD card, insert it to the device and it will then boot from (and use) the memory card, there are no settings to enable this, the device will detect the presence of the card and automatically boot from it - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: