Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cameras and voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras and voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyful
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Cameras and voices Reply with quote

Hi there,
hope someone can help me. I have just bought a tomtom 1 xl and it's great. Have followed all the instructions for the camera database, speedzoned - this is all ok. Have put on the voices as instructed. When doing the warn when near have followed instructions and some have gone on ok but the rest stop when I get to 'warn when closer than'. I can put in 300 yards but when I press ok, nothing happens. Have tried taking some off in case I have too many on but nothing happens. Please help

Pauline
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but the rest stop when I get to 'warn when closer than'. I can put in 300 yards but when I press ok, nothing happens.

Can you say EXACTLY what happens on screen at this point?
Does it lock up? Go back to a previous screen? Stay as if you were still entering the distance?

Also, can you say what software version you're on (tap the signal strength bars and you can see it on the following screen).

It SHOULD all work, so there's usually a simple answer, it's just spotting the problem "at a distance" that can be tricky sometimes.

If we can't get it sorted, there's always another method we can try.
joyful
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There
Thanks for replying. I switched the tom tom off and tried again - it let me put a few more on ok and then did the same thing - it just hangs at 300 yds and won't let me do anything else. I switched it off again as that is all I can do with it then. I have managed to put the rest on by keep going back after switching it off and on.

They seem to be working - just hope I haven't messed anything up internally on it???

Pauline
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.... not heard of that one before.
Can I suggest you make a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file (it's in your map's folder) once you're sure it is all as you want. Then if you ever lose the warnings, you can just put that file back in place.

While we're here... I see you mention 300 yds several times. That doesn't give you much warning for higher speeds and is especially short for mobile sites, where they can "get" you from a long way away.

A good rule of thumb is to use 10yards for every MPH for fixed cameras (e.g. 300yds at 30MPH, 700yds at 70MPH etc.) and DOUBLE that for mobiles (i.e. upto 1400yds for a mobile site in a 70MPH zone!)
joyful
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks very much -will certainly take your advice about yds and copying file

Thanks very much for your help.
Pauline
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joyful, I suspect at some point you have a screen saying "No Photos" or similar. This is a known bug.

Reset your XL fully following these instructions then start again setting up the warnings of those that are missing. When asked if you wish to use a sound when none is played you HAVE to say "Yes" or it will lock up again.

Afterwards, make sure you make a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file as it makes it easy to restore your settings when the XL forgets them (it happens - another bug).

Andy, this is what happened to me when I tried setting the ogg warnings up first. You get hit by the "No Photos" bug then it lets you continue but you can't get past the "enter distance" screen which defaults to 300yds regardless of what you entered before.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, as its never happened to me, I thought if you answered "no" and got the 'no photos' bug, it just locked up completely. If joyful had mentioned photos I'd have probably twigged though! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: