Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TRAFFIC facility worth having
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TRAFFIC facility worth having
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Is TRAFFIC facility worth having Reply with quote

I've decided I'm going to buy a Garmin 255W because I've come to the conclusion that I don't need all the bells and whistles.

I know it doesn't do text to speech but again that is not something that really bothers me. In the past I've always used Sat Navs with the volume turned down anyway.

But my question is - Is the Traffic facility worth having.

I can't say I'm particularly bothered but it's not much more money at the outset but will cost a lot more if I buy as an accessory at a later date.

The prices I've seen are

255W - £144
255WT - £160

So it's £16 more for the traffic adapter.

But I've heard coverage isn't that great in the UK anyway.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Nigel
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is TRAFFIC facility worth having Reply with quote

nheather wrote:
I've decided I'm going to buy a Garmin 255W because I've come to the conclusion that I don't need all the bells and whistles.

I know it doesn't do text to speech but again that is not something that really bothers me. In the past I've always used Sat Navs with the volume turned down anyway.

But my question is - Is the Traffic facility worth having.

I can't say I'm particularly bothered but it's not much more money at the outset but will cost a lot more if I buy as an accessory at a later date.

The prices I've seen are

255W - £144
255WT - £160

So it's £16 more for the traffic adapter.

But I've heard coverage isn't that great in the UK anyway.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Nigel

Personally, I'd say if that's the model that you're happy with (ie 255W), and the additional £16 doesn't offend you, then get it.

True, TMC isn't great in the UK - the signal strength isn't great and coverage isn't perfect. But it's not a lot extra, there's been some improvement in signal, and it can be useful on occasion.

Of course, there's a flipside to that. You may never really use it in anger. I liked the idea, but the reality isn't quite as great as I'd imagined. I've only ever actually followed one diversion - and regretted it - because the route it diverted me to was totally different (A roads, compared with motorway) and had significant delays on itself, which TMC didn't appear to be aware of (I was getting reception whilst on the bad route and before it).

So, in trying to play devil's advocate, £16 goes quite a way into a years subscription for pocketgpsworld safety cameras...

Personally, I would go for it, even recognising I've been disappointed thus far. I deliberately wanted a TMC equipped unit, and although it hasn't been a wonderful solution, I've got it, it has shown some improvements, and for you, it's not a lot of additional expense.
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, in trying to play devil's advocate, £16 goes quite a way into a years subscription for pocketgpsworld safety cameras...

That's exactly what I was thinking.

There is a camera subscription, a leather case and probably a decent screen protector that I would want - probably best putting the £16 towards those.

Cheers,

Nigel
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the traffic integrated can be quite useful, I wouldn't rely upon it 100% but when the radio and road signs all agree with the information the device has displayed as a problem it can be very handy to re-route with very little manual input - £16 doesn't go very far these days in terms of fuel if you get stuck in traffic.
I have used the RDS system to avoid a number of jams, when it works it is very good, but don't rely upon it all the time, a degree of common sense is required to judge whether the displayed information is genuine - cross correlation to other information sources works very well for me - Mike
markr68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 205t a few weeks ago for the wife. We used on the way back from the NEC and it picked up on a delay on the M1 and re-routed us saving quite a bit of time according to the radio traffic news.

Mark.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame about the portable SatNav TMC because when it works it's so useful.

My built in SatNav has excellent RDS TMC and when I jump in the car I can see what the M25 is doing from over 10 miles away so I can plot my journey from the outset.

One of these days a manufacturer will produce a unit with a normal radio telescopic aerial that works properly and looks far better than having a washing line strung across the windscreen.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the main issues is reception.

Clearly there can be and is some issues with the data, but I'd say most peoples' issues are with reception.

Accepting that, you'd wonder why they (the major GPS manufacturers) don't address that with their aerials for the UK (either better ones, or ones that can be easily integrated with external aerials). I guess in the big scheme of things, we're (the UK) a small market.

I know many modify their aerials on their TMC adaptors / dongles / add-ons. I deliberately didn't with mine, at least for the warranty period (not sure whether I will bother outside of warranty), and I'm glad about that, because I had to send it back (with my unit) for a warranty repair.
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does the TMC aerial work.

I'm looking at the picture of the adapter here

Click Here
URL Truncated by PaulB2005

I assume that it takes the place of the power lead - so provides power and TMC aerial. But in the picture there is only one plug at the Sat Nav end so does the power and the aerial use the same connector.

Also I was expecting to see a fly lead for the aerial but there just seems to be a single lead.

Cheers,

Nigel
markr68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the same as the one on my Nuvi 205T. The actual Ariel isn't shown in the picture. It plugs into the rectangular bit near the top via a jack plug. You then have to fasten two suckers to the windscreen and lay the ariel across them.

Mark.
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks markr68

So you can choose to have it or not.

One of the things putting me off getting the traffic was the thought of being stuck with untidy leads if I choose not to use it.

But from what you say I could just unplug it and then it would be more or less like an ordinary power lead.

Have I got that right?

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Nigel
markr68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep That's right Nigel. Not tried it myself with out the Aeriel yet but cant see why you couldn't just leave it unplugged.

Mark.
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much deliberation I decided to go with the non-traffic one.

My reasons

1 - I really don't think I will use it

2 - I prefer to have a few wires as possible

3 - Price

I noticed that Halfords were selling the 255W at a good price and I could use Quidco and a discount voucher code to bring the total price down to £133.

They are not selling the traffic version so the saving over the traffic version had increased from £16 to £27.

Cheers,

Nigel
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one on my ZUmo 550 and I've never got it to find any reception - but I've only tried it in Rochdale so far.

Alan
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have found the traffic information to be a bit hit and miss.

I've been warned of delays which weren't there (couldn't be bothered to find an alternate route and stayed on the motorway, only to find that everything was moving normally).

I've also come across jams that haven't appeared on the sat nav.

So, a bit hit and miss really.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarecrow wrote:
So far I have found the traffic information to be a bit hit and miss.

I've been warned of delays which weren't there (couldn't be bothered to find an alternate route and stayed on the motorway, only to find that everything was moving normally).

I've also come across jams that haven't appeared on the sat nav.

So, a bit hit and miss really.

I'd agree with that, and have very similar experience with it.

However, I have found that the signal seems to be more reliable in recent weeks (although I hadn't been using it regularly, for a while, before a couple of weeks back).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: