Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - radio for rds-tmc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

radio for rds-tmc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: radio for rds-tmc Reply with quote

I am thinking about trying the tmc and purchasing the arial receiver, which is version 3 if i have read the posts correctly. Howevercould you answer this question for me please

It uses the radio (classic fm) to receive its signal has the radio got to be tuned in to classic am ? or can it still be used to do mp3 and directions etc?

sorry if that sounds stupid, but i dont want to waste 30 odd quid if i cant use the mp3 function as well

thanks in advance Wink Very Happy
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your car radio does not have to be tuned into a specific frequency for RDS-TMC.

In fact, as far as I inderstand it, RDS-TMC does not use your car radio at all - the aerial is in effect a radio in itself, and is tuned separately from the car radio.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS device has no connection to your vehicles radio or aerial, you might find some posts where people have actually connected it to the car aerial to improve reception but this isn't necessary.

You can still use the mp3 player and FM transmitter to play music through the stereo, the only thing I wouldn't do is tune the FM Transmitter in the TomTom to any frequency between 99,9 and 102,0 as this is the frequency band used by Classic FM. In addition to Classic FM there are a number of additional stations that broadcast the TMC data, more will be added at a later date.
When you get the RDS unit check the white flag near the main connector, it should end with the numbers .013 if not it is an earlier device - Mike
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mike, I have been reading all about them and cant decide, but will probably get one this week Laughing
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i bit the bullet and bought the tmc receiver, i ensured that it was the latest version, though comet in chester will not welcome me again after a long debate about opening the box resulted in it being the wrong version, exit me Laughing I finally got it in Halfrauds and I was assured it was the latest version, which it was, and it worked fine as I had to test it obviously on the way home and chose the M^. I think that I have a good arriel reception and went to Warrington today and will be in Liverpool and Crosby tomorrow. All day today I had a fantastic reception and even the wife decided I had not entirely lost my mind for buying a 'bit of wire' It does lose the signal in places around the village I live in, but then I never expected it to be perfect. My attitude is that at some time during my journey it will connect and advise me accordingly of traffic delays Very Happy another dimension has been added to my 720, all in all well impressed. Laughing Laughing
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
My attitude is that at some time during my journey it will connect and advise me accordingly of traffic delays Very Happy

Supreme Angel Please do tell us what you think of it when you have used it a while and have received some of these reports...or not as the case may be.
Tom1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: cost?? Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
well i bit the bullet and bought the tmc receiver, i ensured that it was the latest version, though comet in chester will not welcome me again after a long debate about opening the box resulted in it being the wrong version, exit me Laughing I finally got it in Halfrauds and I was assured it was the latest version, which it was, and it worked fine as I had to test it obviously on the way home and chose the M^. I think that I have a good arriel reception and went to Warrington today and will be in Liverpool and Crosby tomorrow. All day today I had a fantastic reception and even the wife decided I had not entirely lost my mind for buying a 'bit of wire' It does lose the signal in places around the village I live in, but then I never expected it to be perfect. My attitude is that at some time during my journey it will connect and advise me accordingly of traffic delays Very Happy another dimension has been added to my 720, all in all well impressed. Laughing Laughing

How much did it cost???
Regards
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it cost 49 notes from halfrauds, it was advertised as 32 on play.com and cheaper on flea bay,but and a big but for me, was I couldn't guarantee the latest version. as i said comet tried to flog me the older one. I am still happy and went to liver pool today, i had a good reception all day, and i take your point of the i min delays, but it did warn me of a snarl up on the M6 and a congestion on the A49, so i cannot complain. the i min warnings are a flea in the ointment and dont represent a delay just a glitch in the software, but i guess experience will tell Laughing

wishlist where are you in the uk and what particular warnings are you experiencing?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
wishlist where are you in the uk and what particular warnings are you experiencing?

Yep. And you can read about them here if you wish.

http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=104211
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked hmmm, only time will tell. tbh though i am still a happy camper Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: