Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't unlock map's 770
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't unlock map's 770

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Can't unlock map's 770 Reply with quote

I have just had my second 770 today and i installed the garmin webupdater, when it found the unit it sead that there was a update from 2.20 to 2.60. so i folowed the info it did the updat moved out side to get a signel then when it has finished it say's can't unlock map's

this being my second 770 as the first one did this to plus when i did get the maps to load after making the gmapprom.unl file it wold do a cold boot tap here then here and so on every time it was switched on Plus NO bluetoth i asked the shop that i had it from to have a look at it and thay sead it was not working right and that thay had receved lots of problems with the 770 that have been up dated.

this time i backed up the unit just in case well it's not working at all even bluetoth has gone.

so this unit has cost me £21.00 in postage to date pluse £269.00 and will do nothing.

gues i will go back to my HP 4700 with TOMTOM 3 at least it works.

so here is my advice DONT upgrade the 770 from 2.20 to 2.60 better still dont bother with them at all try a tomtom.
why put a updat on there loader thay know is not working right? just to get every 1 to sending the units back to them for fun?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've never let Web-Updater install any updates. I usually download them and then install them manually.

You mentioned a backup. Can you access the nuvi internal memory and copy the files back?

I know that at least 2 people here have upgraded to 2.60 on a 710 and a 760 and all worked OK.

Quote:
why put a update on there loader they know is not working right?

Garmin wouldn't knowingly put out a firmware update that doesn't work. No one would knowingly do such a thing. Why would they?

Perhaps your units come from a faulty batch where the update doesn't work. Perhaps you have a corrupt firmware download. Perhaps there is a fault with 770 in general but we've not seen any other reports of this, as far as i am aware.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Personally I've never let Web-Updater install any updates. I usually download them and then install them manually.

That's all well and good with something as simple as the i3, but with more complex Garmins, that have, say separate GPS firmware, bluetooth firmware, TMC unit firmware, the only way is to use webupdater.

The updates for these things don't seem to be released for general download and manual installation. And I suspect webupdater expects a fully up-to-date unit, before it'll let you search for additional software.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your clarification.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Thank you for your clarification.

Well I've no issue in you "tidying" threads, but you could have left Phil Hornby's post in - that was quite informative and useful.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
To be strictly accurate, Webupdater doesn't install updates...it simply copies 'Installation programs' to the unit. When you reboot the unit, it runs those installation programs.

So for mass-storage addressable units (ie everything from C5xx onwards), a window of opportunity exists, where you can have a poke around the file system (BEFORE you reboot it), and simply delete anything you don't like the look of (*.gcd, *.bin).

Also, you can edit the inventory file (GarminDevice.xml), to lie about the current state of the unit's firmware. (It's regenerated at every boot, so you're only making a temporary change). I've been doing this for a while with my C510 - because I absolutely don't want the main firmware updating past V5.4.

Webupdater has surely got to be the best way of finding new software for your unit...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: