Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in M25 tolerances?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in M25 tolerances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lw93aed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Change in M25 tolerances? Reply with quote

Is there a case for a DIFFERENT COLOUR camera symbol when the camera is known to be digital? As a further warning of the likelihood of prosecution it would be useful, though I take the point that different police forces have different tolerances anyway.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lw93aed,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

The role of the PocketGPSWorld camera database is to warn you of speed camera locations and hence places which the authorities have decided as being black spots. The role of the PGPSW is not to tell you where you can speed nor is it to inform you by how much you can break the speed limit.

I suggest that you treat every site as having a Zero Tolerance and drive past every site at an appropriate speed, dictated by local conditions and the speed limit for the road.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lw93aed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your stance is very worthy, and your lawyers probably advise you to take it. I am completely in favour of rigorous observance of the law on dangerous roads. The law is not always on the low side either - I know of several 50 limit stretches that ought to be 40, and many 30 that ought to be 20.

However on motorways rigorous observance of 70mph is not realistic. I'm sure you remember that when new gantries were installed on the M4 Swindon stretch, a false rumour circulated that they contained SPECS cameras. The whole 20-mile stretch became hideously congested and the Highways Agency (at the request of the police) was forced to publicly deny that the cameras were used for speed enforcement - see bold text at http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/1718.aspx . The public was educated and congestion decreased as they went back to their normal speeds slightly above the limit.

Another problem - has anyone tried traversing 6 congested lanes of traffic on the M25 (eg. to leave at the M4 junction?) when the gantries at set to 40 and everyone including the trucks is doing exactly the same speed? It's difficult and dangerous, heightened by the need to concentrate on being within the speed limit at every gantry.

I don't have any solutions, but I feel that getting information out there and educating people to make the safe decisions on their own must be the right approach. I applaud PGPSW for doing that - my suggestion was for a further refinement to the information provided.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database does identify the camera type, Monitron, SPECS or Gatso but it seems likely that most warning systems can not use this information unless the data is split into different files. If you could get it to display the camera name then you could see "MONITRONxxxxx@30" or "GATSOxxxx@30" etc.

You could possibly split the speed camera section up manually though it's a bit of a hassle.

As for how people use the database - I think that's up to the individual to decide, it's not something I would pontificate on. Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

You could possibly split the speed camera section up manually though it's a bit of a hassle.

As it would only be for the Gatso:70 file, it would only take a minute in POIEdit.
It would all depend on whether the "offending" cameras were actually correctly identified in the list as "Gatso" or "Monitron" though.
I'm not sure if they will be or not, due to the difficulty if identifying what's "in the box" (I haven't seen them, it might be easier than I think).
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lw93aed

You do not say which SatNav you have, if any. If you wish to make a personal decision on whether a camera is digital or not then I suggest that you get a PDA, a GPS receiver to communicate with your PDA, a vehicle mount for your PDA and a licence for Tchart's excellent GPS Speed Sentry, which when used with the PocketGPSWorld database will show you the camera type as well as the speed limit. This should allow you to make an educated guess.

However please don’t forget that you still have the opportunity to attract the attention of a Police Patrol car if you exceed the speed limit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: