Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman N20 camera alert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman N20 camera alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romansilver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Navman N20 camera alert Reply with quote

I have a Navman N20 which, I feel has a fault. If I go out and pass a camera I would get an audio alert. If I drive , for example another 12 miles without passing another camera or mobile and come back the same route, it will not give off the audio alert at the camera. If for example I drive for 12 miles and pass 8 cameras and get the audio alerts on all of them and the 8th camera was outside a bank and make a return trip the same route, it will not pick up the last camera at the bank, only the others, no matter how far I drove past it on my outward trip. So, I could go away for a few days somewhere, stay a few nights, come home forgetting about the last camera and not get any warning. I had some other problems with it so sent it back to Navman who replaced it as it was only a few months old. This new one also will not pick up the last camera I pass on my return trip. Navman said they have not heard of this fault before but seems strange that both N20s are the same, perhaps they will bring out a patch. Anyone else got this problem?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman N20 camera alert Reply with quote

N-Series has only proximity alerts, it is not aware of the direction camera is facing or even whether it is on route or not -- S-Series does these things but not older N-Series.

There is an old problem with proximity alerts -- when you have POI with distance proximity alert enabled that is a bit over that distance farther from the sharp bend after which road goes almost backwards (this happens quite a bit, e.g. think roads in mountains), you get two alerts for the same POI. Proximity checks are done within radius that user can set to be up to 2 km, I think. So, if you have a proximity check distance set to e.g. 500 meters and after a sharp bend where road goes in the opposite direction, but within those 500 meters of the previous section where POI you just passed is, you would get another alert even though you already passed that POI (this would also cause another problem -- if POI is after the bend you get alert early but that's not that bad).

I'm guessing that what's going on here is an attempt to fix described problem by just saving the last POI for which alert was played and not do it again until another alert has been played -- this would cause the problem with return trip you described if saved POI doesn't expire after some distance traveled. S-Series doesn't do that.
Romansilver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I will either get the S series or go for another make as I want to pick up all cameras.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: