Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please. What files on the device and then on SD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please. What files on the device and then on SD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Help please. What files on the device and then on SD Reply with quote

Hi All

I am confused (unlike Al Murray who was never confused!)

I have a 520T with a 2GB SD card. A few questions that are bugging me are:

1) I used the latest map g-tee and was given Great Britan and Rep Ire map 7.10 today instead of teh UK & Ire map 7.05 that was installed. This downloaded to my SD Card. Question is - on the TomTom it calls itslef the UK and Rep Ire Map and not the GB map - is that right?

2) I also bought the North American 2gb map for the 720 from the Map Store and added this to the 2GB SD card also. Seems to work fine. Question though, on the SD card and in the device memory do I need to have

- all voices on both
- pois on both
- safety camers etc on both

Or can I just have all teh voices on the SD for example and use this with the Map on the device?

Thanks for your help
Craig
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few questions!

Firstly the map name... this doesn't matter at all. TomTom often give new versions different names. In fact this is preferable... if they had the SAME name, how would you know which was the newest one when you went to choose one on the "switch map" page? Very Happy

As for where to put things, the 520/720 and 920 are different from previous models in that you CAN use both the Internal memory at the same time.
I would suggest you stick with the 'normal' layout where the operating program, and voices, etc would stay on the internal memory. You can then put maps on either the memory or the SD card slot.

As for speed cameras and other POIs, they MUST be put in the specific map folder they are intended for. This means that if you want them available on all your maps you have to copy them into all the map folders.

If you want to get rid of the old UK map and put the replacement one on the internal memory instead, that is easy to do, just shout if you need help.

Finally, do you really need to keep ANY of the UK maps now you have the Western Europe map? It has the same coverage of the UK and Eire as the UK and Eire maps do, so you only need the WE one.
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

many thanks

Sorry if I confused you, I do not have the WE map. I have these three now Smile

UK & Rep or Ire 705
Great Brit and Rep or Ire 710
North American 2GB 710

I have deleted I think teh UK & Ire one but just removing it using the Home software

I have added the computer voice for the USA to the internal memory

So the layout I hope is this

Internal: GB & Rep Ire maps, UK and USA computer voices, safety cams
SD card: NA maps, US retail POIs

One thing on POIs. I do not seem to have any to pick from home apart from useless ones like t mobile hotspots etc. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers
Craig
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about Europe map confusion... all my fault, I'm not used to using a laptop and scrolling up and down with the trackpad or page up/down buttons is such a pain, I didn't scroll back to your message as often as I'd normally do! Embarassed

Your layout sounds fine, the POIs and speed cams will be in their map folders if they are showing up OK.

One thing I'd suggest. From what you say, it sounds like you are the type of person who likes to know how things work and to do things "properly".

If so, get the GO connected up to the PC, shut down Home and start having a look at where things are, just by using Windows Explorer.
You'll learn more in 5 minutes than a lifetime of doing things via Home.

The Go will appear as two new drives on the PC, one for the internal memory, one for the SDcard.
Normal voices will be in a folder called "voices", Text to speech voices in "loquendoTTS", Maps will be in folders with obvious names like "UK and IE" and pois will be ".ov2" files inside those folders.

Don't mess with anything untill you know what you're doing, but the first thing you SHOULD do is a complete backup of EVERYTHING on both memory and SD card using Explorer (as "Home" backups often don't work!)
There is a good walk through on how to do it in the FAQs HERE

Any more questions, just ask!
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-ha. You know me well and no worries on the laptop front. I often reply to forums on my blackberry - thats hard work.

Thanks for the tips. I will do teh explorer back up tomorrow and take a nose around. I am impressed with the USA maps though. It has our road on it which is two years old and some resturants which opened up like 6 months ago.

One thing I did read was that some of the 920 users have not got all the text to speech files. Do you know what I need to check to make sure I have? I did download them from the link I was given but if I do not need them .....

I see there are lots of POIs on here also. I might take a nose at thsoe also.

Cheers for all of your help. Hopefully I cna klearn more adn then repay the new newbie hahaha!

Craig
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not followed the discussion that closely, but I think it was the SPEECH RECOGNITION files rather than text to speech that was missing.

If I remember rightly it was that you couldn't use SP on a Europe map on a US purchased unit and vice versa.
The missing files should be in the map folders and be called "cspeech_GBR", "cspeech_FRA" etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: